Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rocky top buzz

LP Field

25 posts in this topic

Here's the link: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NESS01/60606005

So what do you think of the new name? Driving int work this morning I saw that the words "Coliseum" had already been removed (which I didn't realize they could be removed that easily)

I for one am glad we finally have a name for the building. I wish they would have kept the word Coliseum (If LP goes bankrupt, will we the refer to the facility as "The Field?" people will really think we're a bunch of rednecks then. "Hey Bill, Wayne, Dan, you guys wanna go watch some football down at that there Field?")

At least it's no "Louisiana-Pacific Coliseum." For one, we're in Tennessee not Louisiana and we're much closer to the gulf and Atlantic than the Pacific

I like the name just fine. I actually like it better than when it was Adelphia Coliseum. I think the logo is pretty sharp as well.

I like the name just fine. I actually like it better than when it was Adelphia Coliseum. I think the logo is pretty sharp as well.

Louisiana Pacific > Adelphia

At least I had heard of Louisiana Pacific before they came to town...

I actually liked the City Paper article trying to justify a connection to Nashville and our music heritage with LP

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=50254

"It is uncertain whether Louisiana-Pacific officials considered the other popular meaning of the term LP as it relates to music. LP, standing for

from the Tennessean: "The logo for the stadium shows the name

Well, I really don't care of that boring name LP Field. I am not being negative but I like Adelphia better simply because its not boring.....If you decide to put your name on an stadium at least have three letters.... ex. RCA DOME, Fed Ex Field or my favorite Georgia Dome....

I'm sure that we will all get familiar and, in time, comfortable with the name "LP Field" for the Titans stadium. It's a hell of a lot easier to say than "Adelphia Coliseum" for one thing. Also, it's a Nashville headquartered company, and I'm definitely very happy with that fact. I can't wait to go the LP Field and and watch the Titans play another season. The Titans are definitely on the right track, and will be one of the best teams in the league in a few years.

The Titans are definitely on the right track, and will be be one of the best teams in the league in a few years.

Amen Hankster! The Titans are definitely on the up and up. Who knows? Billy Volek could end up having a huge breakout year, and we may end up not seeing Vince Young for a couple of more seasons. Sorry, I know that this isn't the sports section, but I just can't help but show some pride for my Tennessee Titans. When you're 9-23 over the last two seasons, the only way to go is up!

showtime mentions the Georgia Dome, and I've always wondered, why no naming rights there? I've never even heard discussion of The Georgia Dome looking for a sponsor. Same for the Loisiana Superdome.

I think very few of the Loisiana-Pacific target market I have any idea what an LP is. I didn't until recently. Today, we call them CD's. Call it CD Field :)

I think very few of the Loisiana-Pacific target market I have any idea what an LP is. I didn't until recently. Today, we call them CD's. Call it CD Field :)

That, or the second setting on the VCR. :blink:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS01/606070409

Great news that they will be planning to use the downtown stadium more. Brings more people downtown hopefully. By the way, wasn't the stadium supposed to spark redevelopment on the East Bank when it was originally proposed or was I just hoping that it would. I havent seen to much action on that front except for Gerst Haus building a very suburbany structure... <_<

didn't you notice all of the new development that the stadium inspired. they're called parking lots. they totally redesigned the east bank into an auto-only/anti-pedestrian/anti-urbanism utopia! what a great thing for our city's fabric. :silly:

Nashvillwill, do you not see all the people WALKING to and from the coliseum during events? I'd say that's pretty pedestrian friendly. And many other NFL cities (most notably Atlanta) would love to have our open air parking as opposed to parking decks. You just can't have fun tailgating in a parking deck, but you can at LP field.

Would you have preferred the Coliseum was built in Shelby park surrounded by greenways, walking paths, and little league fields? Or how about smack in the middle of downtown where the L&C stands? Nope, this is one area where Nashville got it perfect.

And remembering the pre-90s East Bank as I do, the area is greatly improved, parking lots and all.

The future will hold many things positive for the area, but in terms of building a city, it's not done in a year, two, ten or sometimes even 50. Every piece of the puzzle is important and there are more pieces falling into place than in any recent memory. Patience is a virtue that should be a part of every urban fabric enthusiast.

LP Field, I can live with that. I would have loved the name if it Stadium was called

The Nissan Center.... :thumbsup: or something with Nissan's name on it.

I was checking out something on Nashville on Wikipedia this afternoon and in the sentence regarding certain structures built in the 90s, the name of the stadium had been changed already to LP Field. Pretty quick updating if you ask me, but I'm not sure how all that works.

I was checking out something on Nashville on Wikipedia this afternoon and in the sentence regarding certain structures built in the 90s, the name of the stadium had been changed already to LP Field. Pretty quick updating if you ask me, but I'm not sure how all that works.

I'm pretty sure on wikipedia, anyone can login and change information....this is why it's one of the most unreliable sources to use, even though you can find very interesting info on there. so just take anything you read on there with caution, especially if you haven't heard that specific bit of info anywhere else before

I kind of gathered that, jc. I knew that people could add to to listings which as we've all learned from posting on forums that information can be correct ...or sketchy. It's a bit fun, though. If I were doing serious research, it would be last on my source list at this point.

I'm pretty sure on wikipedia, anyone can login and change information....this is why it's one of the most unreliable sources to use, even though you can find very interesting info on there. so just take anything you read on there with caution, especially if you haven't heard that specific bit of info anywhere else before

You are correct, anyone can contribute to Wikipedia and the information is not checked. However, there was a recent article that they were just as reliable as Britannica. Who knows for sure.

As far as the naming rights go, I think that LP got a good deal. Try to buy 30 second spots during a football game and it may run into the millions just for a 30 to 60 second spot.

Oh and by the way,

We can call it THE WOOD SHED :)

For those of you not old enough to remember, thats where we got took to have our bottoms busted. :lol:

And remembering the pre-90s East Bank as I do, the area is greatly improved, parking lots and all.

Obviously, I don't remember the area before the stadium, but I would have to agree that the parking lots are actually an improvement over what lies immediately north or south of them, if those industrial areas are an indication of what was replaced. Except for that juvenile justice building, which looks pretty nice, actually. Could someone fill me in on why that site was selected? Will that stuff get moved into the new court complex or is it going to remain in that brick building?

At least the LP field parking lots are a little bit landscaped. Plus, if the Sounds get to use those parking lots, then in a way it is helping to improve the west bank of the river as well. Parking lots hidden away near the LP could mean less parking lots are needed in the downtown and SoBro areas.

What I would like to see is some sort of clean up or even better landscaping and streetscaping for those couple of blocks of Woodland Street from the bridge leading up to the expressway. I think that even a little bit of effort could go a long way there and make that stretch more inviting. Just my $0.02.

I do remember the area before the stadium, but I had just moved here. It was not a very pretty area with a lot of vacant warehouses, seedy buildings and a haven for crime. As much of an eyesore as PSC recycling is now. But you could drive through it and did not want to be there at night.

Is the area you are talking about along Woodland st? If so, that entire area is for sale including the 615 club and adjacent properties with the exception of the Shoneys. If is the area on the feeder road to the interstate, then I agree they could do a better job making it look better.

As far as I know there are no plans to move the juvenile court out of the building it is currently in. It had just been built prior to the Titans (Oilers) deciding to come to Nashville.

This could be one for Dave or one of the (oldtimers) :lol:

No place to be at night? P'shaw. Depends on one's motivations, I suppose, but no need to expound, but "Boots" comes to mind.

The area was intensely busy. Low rise industrial, manufacturing (Jamison mattress), Nashville Bridge (barge building), numerous warehousing entities, and interesting characters. The Shelby Bridge empied into the area from downtown, curved past Howe Water distiller, there were buildings on each side of Shelby close to the street. Near the Juvenile Center was the Casket Co., a large plant. Enormous factories for the barges were there. Ingram Materials took up the area where the stadium sits. It looked a lot like the down river site looks now with it huge piles of sand and stone. Barges and tugs were constantly in action. The entrance to the Nashville Bridge building was on the 5th floor and from the Shelby Bridge, one could drive into the office parking lot (on the 5th floor) and overlook the scene. I have photos. I'll look through the boxes and scan a few. I think many of you might be really surprised at what you see...and what you missed.

I do what I can to scan them. Might prove an interesting thread. I've wanted to use some of my photos of "Nashville Before" and compare them to what's going now. I've got the goods, it's time that's short.

On one hand, sure, it was not so pretty, but another, it was a city in action doing things cities do. The tax base there was strong (unlike now).

I wasn't here either, so I'd love to see some pics.

As for woodland street, the area is significantly improved wfrom when I moved here in 2001. New condos are being built, the road has been improved, a new community is being built (Nashville taxpayers, I hope you're happy they're destroying a perfectly good building just to build another on your dime!), so the area is really not too bad, although you won't catch me there often after dark. The part of Woodland street I am talking about is from Interstate Drive (very nice rebuilt gerst haus) to the new/renovated First Tennesee bank. It's a dump north of that.

The Mouse Trap/Club 615/? Has always been busy every weekend night I've been by there. I wonder why no one can keep that place in business?