Carytown

JWCJ

I made this forum to show how this area is growing and how it's like a city within a city. Carytown is one of Richmonds jewels so I made it its own forum for pictures and more of this area. Carytown of course you know is you live around there of go there is full of stores, restuarants and more. and this area can be used for the sorrounding communities like Monument Avenue. So I hope to have many people and send pics of our beloved carytown area.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live within walking distance to Carytown. I have noticed a large number of small businesses being replaced with upscale stores. It is unfortunate to see some of these small businesses have to close due to higher rents, however the introduction of upscale store is a positive sign of Richmond's retail market competition with the suburbs. It shows that Richmond can compete. Now if some of that can trickle its way into Downtown.

Shak, have you looked at Coupe's exciting pictures of Carytown? They're among Richmond in Pictures II. Take a moment or two to view them if you haven't already.

Coupe, tell us where they are in Ric in Pics. I've backtracked to March and I can't find Carytown, and I want to look again myself and make sure that Shak can see them.

I have to stop by Plan 9.... I went into that store to see if they had something (I think went out of print recently) and I saw a boxset I want... but I am not ready or unpoor enough to buy it.

I'm not a big fan of Carytown, but it is nice.

I have to stop by Plan 9.... I went into that store to see if they had something (I think went out of print recently) and I saw a boxset I want... but I am not ready or unpoor enough to buy it.

May I ask, why are you not a big fan of Carytown?

Carytown rocks! It's a great thriving pedestrian oriented area in the city.Many of the shops are targeted towards women, but there's still cool places for the rest of us :thumbsup:

That is why it is fun to people watch. :thumbsup:

A few days ago me and my sister went down there from our house. it looked like Carytown was expanding east towards downtown.

I hope that's what's really happening because it would help make downtown a mecca! We also went into uptown. To me that area seems quiet and has no use. But It's maybe differant at night all the collage kids come out to party. But on my first question, is carytown expanding to or closer to downtown?

A few days ago me and my sister went down there from our house. it looked like Carytown was expanding east towards downtown.

I hope that's what's really happening because it would help make downtown a mecca! We also went into uptown. To me that area seems quiet and has no use. But It's maybe differant at night all the collage kids come out to party. But on my first question, is carytown expanding to or closer to downtown?

Carytown as far as I am aware ends at the Boulevard. There has been a little infill on the eastern end of it with Mom's Siam refurbishing the building across from the laundrymat but that's the only expansion I can visualize. There are a ton of new/refurbished buildings scattered along Cary St. east of Boulevard. Perhaps that's what you mean?

I think the city has defined the eastern most limit for Carytown to extend to as Robinson St, just east of the Boulevard. Or at least that's a vision or something I saw somewhere from the city.

There is some great infill occurring along Cary St between the boulevard and VCU though, which really is making an awesome difference in that area. I think Cary St in this area will be more geared towards residential development, with pockets of commercial, similar to what you'd find throughout the Fan.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't find this anywhere else in the forums so I figured I'd make a post here. Ben and Jerry's will be opening a shop in the eastern end of Carytown in the former location of the laundry-mat by Double-T's. This location is literally 2 or 3 doors down from Bev's Homemade Ice Cream, our locally owned shop. After digging around I saw it had been mentioned in Style back in March but a dinner at NY Deli last night brought it to my attention again. Honestly I think this location was chosen in poor taste. Though I think it is unlikely to put Bev's out of business, this appears to be a direct assault on Mom and Pop operations and is likely indicative of chain stores desire to take over the thriving, mostly locally owned strip of shops and restaurants. As nice as it is to get rid of the eyesore there, I plan on boycotting the business and hope others decide to do the same.

This will be Ben and Jerry's second attempt in Carytown. They had a store a few years ago, but not for long. I think Bev's will take a hit, but think they will be fine. Bev's and Zuppa have partnered some, so they are expanding their revenue base.

I also believe people will support Bev's over Ben and Jerry's because they like the flavor (no pun intended) of a "local Carytown". If this was in the suburbs, I'm not so sure there would be as much support for the local guy.

Some people may boycott Ben & Jerry's just because of the fellows' political leanings. Others will flock to 'em.

I seem to recall that B&J tried once before to establish themselves in the Richmond market, and I believe it was in Carytown. For one reason or another (perhaps their own choice) a beachhead was shortlived.

Who knows, rich75, maybe the two ice cream stores will compliment one another. Is the new location a franchise?

Some people may boycott Ben & Jerry's just because of the fellows' political leanings. Others will flock to 'em.

I seem to recall that B&J tried once before to establish themselves in the Richmond market, and I believe it was in Carytown. For one reason or another (perhaps their own choice) a beachhead was shortlived.

Who knows, rich75, maybe the two ice cream stores will compliment one another. Is the new location a franchise?

B & J is attempting to revamp is store markets more toward inner city markets to go along with their 'environmentally' friendly image. They should open one downtown somewhere too.

B & J is attempting to revamp is store markets more toward inner city markets to go along with their 'environmentally' friendly image. They should open one downtown somewhere too.

I'll bet Jemal Development is courting them for a location in the 1st to 4th stretch of Broad.

• 5 months later...

The Byrd Theatre Foundation was given an annonymous gift of $150,000 and it is being used as we speak to do a complete repair job on the theatre's roof.

You'll get a better view of the ball falling (or rising) this New Years Eve in Carrytown. It will do its thing on a 100 foot pole atop the Byrd. :alc:

Yeah, how could someone that follows and supports the City so muchnot like it? It is perhaps the most thriving area of the city.

I love it, and I am not at all scared about big name stores coming in there. there will be some, but I think most of the local stores will stay. I think it will always retain that flavor.

As for the ice cream place, i'll go to both of em. I dont have a problem with Ben and Jerry's, they have a good product and its not like they are Walmart or whatever. I think both cna thrive, even close by.

The biggest thing I hate is people trying to say Carytown should be a model for downtown retail, but Carytown is a neighborhood strip, not the identifying face of an entire region. There are hardly any stores there that can attract me in Carytown other than some of the eateries and of course Ukrop's. I'll get a sub, a sandwich, or a cd... I was even dragged to a club once... and I'll never go back... but I don't believe this neighborhood strip should be the example for downtown or define our New Years celebrations. Everything's in the West End and those people need to quit being scared of the other people on the other side of town and let's come together where most cities do, downtown or their city center.

Archived