Carytown

JWCJ

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carytown's vacancy rate now stands at 13%. This is definitely not good news but a nationwide trend. What's surprising (IMO) is the fact that Willow Lawn had a lower vacancy rate.

http://www.richmond.com/business/24766

I also heard on WRVA (1140AM) this morning that the Richmond area lost jobs last quarter (lost the AM signal when the numbers and reasons were being discussed - so the hext sentence is my opinion). I can see this due to lose of Wachovia Security positions however, I was thinking that the increase of BRAC related postions would negate the WS lose.

As a nation, some analyst have indicated a loss 50,000 jobs per month through the end of the year.

I have noticed some of the vacant space being fitted for new tenants and "Coming Soon" signs are appearing. I worried for no reason... :P

I had no idea EQ3 vacated. Did they move to another location?

GlassBoat moved to the former Storehouse location.

EQ3 closed unfortunately... There's been a fuss lately about Carytown vacancy, but everytime I'm through there I see coming soon signs for shops and restaurants. A new restaurant called Mezzanine is opening soon. Isn't River City Cellars expanding into the old Urban Artifacts space? Also, I believe there is something going on at the old Carytown Beer and Wine space as well.

I myself saw some work happening last Saturday at the former beer and wine space. It appears the entire former space is being re-fitted rather than partial.

For any female forumers, check out Heidi's Place. They themselves are moving to another location, but still in Carytown. Tell Heidi (owner) that Shakeel says hi. (However, after you pay for your merchandise :P )

• 4 months later...

Test version for the new Byrd Theatre website:

http://byrdtheatre.kdgtest.com/index.php

Check out the historic photos and 16 minute video on the facility.

WOW!!! That's a fabulous website. Thanks for sharing, Coupe.

I bet a lot of people don't know that Richmond has more Wurlitzer theatre organs than just about any place. They may be in poor repair, but they still exist. In addition to the Byrd, there is one in The Landmark Theatre (formerly known as The Mosque.) And while the original organ at The Carpenter Theatre (formerly Loew's Richmond) is long gone, a replacement instrument is in storage while renovation continues. However, it will not rise from the orchestra pit but will be situated elsewhere in the theatre.

okay, I've been listening to the Christmas music on 98.1 and hearing those commercials about some fantastic place coming to Carytown. People in the commercial saying "I heard this"; "My friend told me that"; "I heard...blah blah blah" (no sarcasm intended).

What is it? The commercial doesn't say, and the only clue I heard was that whoever they are, there's a store in San Francisco.

Test version for the new Byrd Theatre website:

http://byrdtheatre.kdgtest.com/index.php

Check out the historic photos and 16 minute video on the facility.

Maybe the mysterious secret San Francisco new tenant in Carytown will be an east coast version of a famous Bay City restaurant. :dontknow:

Whatever it is, I bet a quarter it will go in the old church that formerly housed ACACIA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, I want to make sure the Byrd Theatre website provided by Coupe on the previous page doesn't get burried. It's a gem!

So, for any of you who missed it I've brought Coupe's posting with the the website forward. :thumbsup:

still no word on the aforementioned unnamed store.....perhaps it's so trendy and so upscale...only those with secret decoder rings can know about it.

Well the "you belong there" hint at the end suggests it's something dealing with Schwarzschild Jewelers. I haven't been to Carytown in a bit and I don't pay much attention to jewelry stores but according to Richmond Bizsense back in July, they stated that Schwarszchild was rebuilding in Carytown. Schwarzschild is owned by the same group that owns Shreve and Co. in San Francisco. Maybe it will be changing it's name and moving into a bigger space? The Shreve and Co. store in SF looks to be pretty large. Just some idle speculation :)

I go into Carytown as much as I go to Gilpin Court.... ok a little bit more than Gilpin. I don't know every store up there and most of where I go is near Thompson like Ukrop's and 7-Eleven.

I am sure Schwartzchild would love to open a location in Gilpin Court. :P

Archived