Carytown

JWCJ

I am sure Schwartzchild would love to open a location in Gilpin Court. :P

I went to school with some of the Schwartzchilds, maybe I can talk them into it.

All I heard on the radio was s new Schwartzchilds in Carytown. I didn't know they were already there, but I did know they abandoned their store on Broad when they didn't need to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll cost you two bucks to celebrate New Year's Eve in Carytown this year.

From today's RTD dot com:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-211617/163129/

What I haven't been able to figure out is whether the $2 is a voluntary donation, or is it a requirement for entry? They always use the word "donation", and that's a fairly deliberate word to use -- BUT with all the talk of increased security and controlled entry points, and it hasn't been explicitly mentioned as being voluntary.... I dunno.

What I haven't been able to figure out is whether the $2 is a voluntary donation, or is it a requirement for entry? They always use the word "donation", and that's a fairly deliberate word to use -- BUT with all the talk of increased security and controlled entry points, and it hasn't been explicitly mentioned as being voluntary.... I dunno.

Nathan, I think this year's admission for entry to Carytown on New Year's Eve is required. Wristbands will be issued. The beefed up security is the reason for the charge. It's claimed people will be checked for alcohol containers. There are a goodly number of restaurants/bars where celebrants can imbibe.

The biggest issue of contention is the fenced-off center lane running east/west in Cary Street for emergency vehicles.

Nathan, I think this year's admission for entry to Carytown on New Year's Eve is required. Wristbands will be issued. The beefed up security is the reason for the charge. It's claimed people will be checked for alcohol containers. There are a goodly number of restaurants/bars where celebrants can imbibe.

The biggest issue of contention is the fenced-off center lane running east/west in Cary Street for emergency vehicles.

The article you posted from this morning's RTD is the first mention of the "donation" being an actual admission fee. I'm fine with it -- it is only $2, after all! :)

I am just perplexed by the deliberate use of the word "donation" (even on the Carytown website). It seems like a good way to piss off a lot of people when they expect to stroll in and don't have any cash on them.

We're expecting to head down there this year. Last year we went and it really was a heavy press of people. I hope it's not quite as crowded this year, but then again I wouldn't want to see it empty either... It's nice that we have a big event that's being supported by the public for New Year's Eve now! (Now let's all just behave and maybe we can keep it going.)

The article you posted from this morning's RTD is the first mention of the "donation" being an actual admission fee. I'm fine with it -- it is only $2, after all! :)

I am just perplexed by the deliberate use of the word "donation" (even on the Carytown website). It seems like a good way to piss off a lot of people when they expect to stroll in and don't have any cash on them.

We're expecting to head down there this year. Last year we went and it really was a heavy press of people. I hope it's not quite as crowded this year, but then again I wouldn't want to see it empty either... It's nice that we have a big event that's being supported by the public for New Year's Eve now! (Now let's all just behave and maybe we can keep it going.)

They are trying to spread the event out this year. They will have the bands on one end near Babe's and of course the ball drop on the other end by the Byrd Theater. What I'm really not sure about is that barricaded lane running down the middle of Cary for emergency vehicles.While I'm sure they have good intentions, that barricade is going to cause far more problems than it's going to alleviate. I'll be down there as well so I'll see first hand what kind of a mess this thing causes.

Here's coverage from today's Richmond Times Dispatch of last night's celebration in Carytown.

Check out the slide show and the video titled "Carytown Welcomes 2009." (The other front page video consists of interviews about New Year resolutions. Skip to the highlighted video.)

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...lo_2009/166147/

I look forward to comments from ric75, nhughes and others who may have attended the festivities. Maybe some of you made videos.

Here's coverage from today's Richmond Times Dispatch of last night's celebration in Carytown.

Check out the slide show and the video titled "Carytown Welcomes 2009." (The other front page video consists of interviews about New Year resolutions. Skip to the highlighted video.)

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...lo_2009/166147/

I look forward to comments from ric75, nhughes and others who may have attended the festivities. Maybe some of you made videos.

The highlighted video is pretty lame. Couldn't they at least get a semi professional or even a high schoold student to put something together. How about an overhead view from one of the buidings? It was like they just had a camcorder on a tripod sitting in one place. You can't tell the size of the crowd. From the nightly news shots the crowds looked pretty small. When some of the bands were playing it looked like only a handful of people were watching. Granted this was around 11PM or so.

I was there. It wasn't nearly as crowded as last year (didn't appear to be even 1/2 as crowded). The middle lane that was created for "emergency" access really ruined the whole experience. One could only cross the barricade at intersections so the whole time the crowd just seemed really divided, literally and emotionally. All in all, the event truly had a sucky feel to it. Richmond did a fantastic job of over tweaking something good and turning it into a turd.

Rather than place a barrier down the middle of Carytown, seems to me the logical thing would be to clear every cross-street intersection so that emergency vehicles could approach and leave. That's how they handle street festivals on avenues in New York (about one a week in season), except New Years Eve in Times Square when there is extraordinary security.

More from The Richmond Times Dispatch about New Year's Eve in Carytown.

According to writer Michael Martz, crowd estimates range up to 25,000, though some readers dispute that figure. And while the story header might lead one to think that people by-passed the $2 admission fee, others say they would have been happy to contribute had there been someone at entry points to collect.

With the opening in 2009 of Richmond Center Stage, Hilton Garden Inn and a number of new restaurants, maybe it is a good time to think about moving the celebration to Broad Street between Belvidere and 7th Street with plenty of security on hand. It could be bracketted between VCU at the west and The National at the east. The ball could rise with a plethora of fireworks from the top of CNB on Broad between 2nd and 3rd Streets. Merchants, corporations, individuals and the city could pick up the tab.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-232206/167807/

I was there too, rolled in around 11:30. A fun time, but definitely not the turnout they expected (probably on par with last year). Nobody I was with or talked to minded the $2, and I don't think that turned anyone off the event, but the temperatures definitely did.

Regardless, next time they need to get rid of the barricades (just have security at every intersection) and they definitely don't need as much security, way overkill.

I think your right about that cmorrisette. I think alot of it had to do with how cold it was. Believe me when it gets cold here I hardly see anyone on the road or anywhere. Now if we thought it was so cold here just imagine what people at Times Square in New York thought. Way worse than what it is down here. Burt I heard that the temperature in new york on new years eve was 2 degrees or close to zero is what I heard. If thats right then you definitly wouldnt catch me in new york this year doing that.

I think your right about that cmorrisette. I think alot of it had to do with how cold it was. Believe me when it gets cold here I hardly see anyone on the road or anywhere. Now if we thought it was so cold here just imagine what people at Times Square in New York thought. Way worse than what it is down here. Burt I heard that the temperature in new york on new years eve was 2 degrees or close to zero is what I heard. If thats right then you definitly wouldnt catch me in new york this year doing that.

Hahaha. Old Uncle Burt just went up to the 39th floor of my building for a New Year's Eve party and did not venture out into the icy cold at Times Square even though it's only 3 blocks away.

Joey, let us know the results of your surgery. I'm glad it will be an in-office operation and not an overnight hospitalized stay. I bet a quarter you'll hear a lot better afterwards. :thumbsup:

Burt Im hearing better by the minute. I have some packing in my ear to make it heal faster and they scraped a piece of skin around my ear and stuck it in my ear to close the hole in my ear drum. It was a pretty big surgery but I was knocked out good while it was going on. I always like it when they knock you out really good cause its the most peaceful sleep that I have probably ever had before even though I prefer my own bed.

Burt Im hearing better by the minute. I have some packing in my ear to make it heal faster and they scraped a piece of skin around my ear and stuck it in my ear to close the hole in my ear drum. It was a pretty big surgery but I was knocked out good while it was going on. I always like it when they knock you out really good cause its the most peaceful sleep that I have probably ever had before even though I prefer my own bed.

Good news, Joey!!! I know you're glad it's behind you. Here's hoping for a brighter and louder future! :thumbsup:

My feelings about NYE in Carytown are about the same as everyone else's -- it seemed like the security was overkill and it was not nearly as packed as it seemed last year, BUT it was good to have something in walking distance and it was good to see a good-sized crowd supporting it. Of course, we learned from our experience last year and stayed out of the main crowd.

I was fairly disappointed by the lackluster midnight ball-rise. I remember everyone counting down and a celebratory feeling at midnight last year. This year, no one seemed to know that it had happened. There were two fireworks that went off, and we had to assume that was the signal that midnight had come. You would think that it was a result of us being so far back, but I had friends at MOM'S SIAM and they said the same thing.

My feelings about NYE in Carytown are about the same as everyone else's -- it seemed like the security was overkill and it was not nearly as packed as it seemed last year, BUT it was good to have something in walking distance and it was good to see a good-sized crowd supporting it. Of course, we learned from our experience last year and stayed out of the main crowd.

I was fairly disappointed by the lackluster midnight ball-rise. I remember everyone counting down and a celebratory feeling at midnight last year. This year, no one seemed to know that it had happened. There were two fireworks that went off, and we had to assume that was the signal that midnight had come. You would think that it was a result of us being so far back, but I had friends at MOM'S SIAM and they said the same thing.

Yeah the organizers still haven't mastered the countdown. They need a strategically placed clock by the tower and a couple scattered along Cary Street to get everyone on the same page. I was right by the Byrd and no one really new what was going on.

Archived