Form-Based Codes

michaelskis

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the progress and if Grand Rapids will still be converting its existing zoning code over to Form-Based Codes instead of this archaic Euclidian Zoning Ordinance?

I know that a firm was working on it, and there was some news about a year or so ago, but since then it has been mostly quiet.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the progress and if Grand Rapids will still be converting its existing zoning code over to Form-Based Codes instead of this archaic Euclidian Zoning Ordinance?

I know that a firm was working on it, and there was some news about a year or so ago, but since then it has been mostly quiet.

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes:

What is Form-Based Codes and how do they differ from Zoning Ordinances? I have always heard of Zoning, but this is the first time I have heard of Form-Based. I suppose I could always "google" and find the definition, but thought maybe some others would have the same question.

Thanks,

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes:

What is Form-Based Codes and how do they differ from Zoning Ordinances? I have always heard of Zoning, but this is the first time I have heard of Form-Based. I suppose I could always "google" and find the definition, but thought maybe some others would have the same question.

Thanks,

Instead of having use as the primary focus for land regulation, Form-Based Codes regulates by form or characteristic of a district, street, or neighborhood. FBC

Yes, Grand Rapids is still persuing form-based zoning. Actually, the new code will be a hybrid between euclidian zoning and form based zoning. I'd guess that certain districts around the core, Heritage Hill, Eastown, Midtowne, etc will have more emphasis on form. Districts farther out and more suburban in character, where single uses are currently very dominant, will probably stay somewhat similar to what they are. The City was holding these public input sessions regarding the new code every week, but I'm not sure if they are still doing that. I'll find out and report back.

Archived