What are outsiders saying about Columbia?

CorgiMatt

This weekend I met a woman in her 20's who is originally from Ithaca, New York. She said she has lived in lots of places. She talked about how Cornell University helps make Ithaca a pretty city. She said she's big into aesthetics and that in the five years she has been in Columbia she has noticed it getting progressively prettier. She said, "Five Points is starting to look the part, and Main Street looks so nice now." She also said she finds that Columbia is just a comfortable place to live. I could tell by her conversation that she is very smart. It was nice to hear the positive thoughts of a bright young mind on the capital city.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot more people are noticing Columbia from all the attention Atlanta and Charlotte are getting.How can you not notice Columbia on the map in the middl of Atlanta and Charlotte.When I use to go up north and say Columbia I would always have to add South Carolina behind it. Now I don't have to. I've met many people online inquiring about Columbia.And the buzz is only getting bigger!!! :yahoo:

Actually, Greenville is in the middle of Atlanta and Charlotte - well actually, the town of Central, SC, next to Clemson, is the centerpoint, but you get the idea. ;)

Here is a map of a NC TV station's coverage for reference:

TVMap.gif

I am glad more people are becoming aware of the Capital of SC, and SC in general. This is a statewide trend and it seems to be getting only better. :shades:

Actually, Greenville is in the middle of Atlanta and Charlotte - well actually, the town of Central, SC, next to Clemson, is the centerpoint, but you get the idea. ;)

You mean "Charlotte," right? ;)

It's good that a bit of the recognition shared between GA's and NC's largest cities is starting to spill over to SC's largest city.

I lived in Columbia for a few months back in 2002 and had an awesome time. For a tiny city, it really holds it's own! The Zoo is what... in the top 10 in the NATION?? I didn't go to 5-points that much since I don't really dig the whole college club thing. But I did hang out across the river at the New Brooklyn Tavern pretty much every weekend. Good bands every time I went! Touring and local. I was really suprised at the music scene that was there when I lived there too. A lot of good indie rock. Plus, the city is just nice. It has about everything you'd get in a huge city, cut crammed into a space of a few hundred thousand. I'd live there again for an extended period of time with no problem.

I never understood this though...

84.gif

I like the fact that it just pops up out of nowhere and catches one off guard. I first saw the sculture when I came home from Florida during a school break. At first I was like "what in the world is going on?" But then I was like hmm thats kind of different. :unsure: Its not something one expects or will really see anywhere else. It makes me think that its point is to say "i'm catching your eye while you drive, but maybe you should focus back on the road so you dont cause something like this to happend." Either way I like it! I'd like to see more "Surprising and Odd" art on through out the entire region. I think Each area desearves some piece that just really seems out of place but leaves a lasting impression on people's minds. I have an idea for one...a giant squerrel sitting in a chair reading a book with table next to it with a bowl filled with acorns. :rofl: Columbia has to be the squerrel capital of the world!

When asked, I am always telling people that I am originally from Columbia. Everyone I have met here in California seems to know that I mean Columbia, South Carolina. And I estimate that about 1 out or 5 say they have been there and say "that's really nice city" or "before I went there I had no idea it was so nice" and one said "I really liked the skyline, that is no small city . . .". And I do know Columbia is known for Fort Jackson. I have met dozzens of people over the years that say they were there for basic training.

Archived