What are outsiders saying about Columbia?

CorgiMatt

Your signature says that Columbia is the capital and largest city in SC. Not too many cities can claim to be the largest in their states as well as their capitals... for instance, New York City is not a state capital, nor is Chicago, Philadelphia, LA, Miami, Baltimore, Charlotte, etc. I can think of only a few, like Boston, Atlanta, Providence. Maybe it's time to concede the "largest" title to Charleston, Greenville or Myrtle Beach.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your signature says that Columbia is the capital and largest city in SC. Not too many cities can claim to be the largest in their states as well as their capitals... for instance, New York City is not a state capital, nor is Chicago, Philadelphia, LA, Miami, Baltimore, Charlotte, etc. I can think of only a few, like Boston, Atlanta, Providence. Maybe it's time to concede the "largest" title to Charleston, Greenville or Myrtle Beach.

Why? What's the rationale behind that? And that's not something to willingly "concede" anyway.

As far as the states that have the largest cities as their capitals:

Georgia

Mississippi

Arkansas

West Virginia

Rhode Island

Indiana

Hawaii

Colorado

Arizona

Ohio

Iowa

Idaho

Massachusetts

Oklahoma

Utah

Wyoming

about Fort Jackson... first of all, drive through their family housing and it looks like the ghetto. Lawns with knee-high grass, houses with shutters hanging off... I even saw a car on blocks. The house I went into had holes in the ceiling and crap, among other things. The base is dirty too. The building that I lived in had HUGE roaches and HUGE rats. I'm not even in the army and was living where their guests stay, which to me would probably be a nicer place than where the basic trainees stay... right? I don't think there is any other way to describe "nasty" really. And to whoever said it "looks like an army base"... I hope most other army bases aren't like Fort Jackson. The ones I've been on aren't anyway. Just because it's a training base doesn't mean it has to look like crap either. What's weirder is that according to everyone that I talk to in the Army, Ft Jackson is supposed to be a "nice" base ("relaxin' fort jackson"). If you still think it's nice, next time you're on take a trip into the family housing area. Unless they've re-done it (which I hope they have), you won't be impressed.

Anyway. Good thing about living there for 2 months was that I got to experience Columbia. What a nice city :)

Concede??? Not even sure what that means. That's like saying Atlanta should concede being the largest city in Georgia. That doesn't make sense. All you have to do is look at ANY census, and it'll tell you Columbia is the largest city in SC...not to mention the largest metropolitan area. I have a Rand McNally Atlas...and the page for SC even says at the top "Largest City: Columbia". So what's up with this concede crap? :)

Concede??? Not even sure what that means. That's like saying Atlanta should concede being the largest city in Georgia. That doesn't make sense. All you have to do is look at ANY census, and it'll tell you Columbia is the largest city in SC...not to mention the largest metropolitan area. I have a Rand McNally Atlas...and the page for SC even says at the top "Largest City: Columbia". So what's up with this concede crap? :)

I don't think he's arguing that it is the largest. It sounds to me like he saying, "you've got a title (the capital of SC), give another city in the state your other one".

I don't think he's arguing that it is the largest. It sounds to me like he saying, "you've got a title (the capital of SC), give another city in the state your other one".

Even so, I still don't see the rationale behind that. It's not like the General Assembly convened one day and decided that things should be manipulated so that Columbia would be the capital AND largest city. I'm glad Atlanta and the state of Georgia didn't have that attitude; if so, if it would have conceded the largest city title to Augusta or Savannah, at least half of SC would be covered in uninterrupted sprawl (not that our own cities aren't doing a good job of that, unfortunately).

• 3 years later...

This post is about only one person's comments today on Columbia. I was in training at work here in town. Personnel from all over the state are in the training. A guy from Berkeley County who was sitting next to me asked me if I live in Columbia once he found out I work here. I said yes, and he said," I like Columbia. I've often thought I'd like to live here."

"What do you like about it?" I asked.

He asked, "Have you ever been to DC? Columbia feels like a small DC to me. DC is too large and I don't really care for big cities, but Columbia is a nice size and just has the feel of a small DC."

I replied, "Interesting you say that. I actually lived in DC for five years from age 20-25, and I also spent time in New York, and I've always said Columbia feels like cross between a tiny New York and a small DC, because when you drive around you can see for such a distance down an urban corridor from each intersection."

"It really does," he answered. "And I love Columbia's downtown; the capitol area is so nice. I just think I'd like to live here."

I said, "Columbia locals often sell the city short and think it's better other places, but Columbia has a lot to offer."

"I get that from people, too, and I don't get it," he said.

That's as word-for-word as I can get it without having recorded our conversation. He looks to be in his thirties.

• 10 months later...

This post is about only one person's comments today on Columbia. I was in training at work here in town. Personnel from all over the state are in the training. A guy from Berkeley County who was sitting next to me asked me if I live in Columbia once he found out I work here. I said yes, and he said," I like Columbia. I've often thought I'd like to live here."

"What do you like about it?" I asked.

He asked, "Have you ever been to DC? Columbia feels like a small DC to me. DC is too large and I don't really care for big cities, but Columbia is a nice size and just has the feel of a small DC."

I replied, "Interesting you say that. I actually lived in DC for five years from age 20-25, and I also spent time in New York, and I've always said Columbia feels like cross between a tiny New York and a small DC, because when you drive around you can see for such a distance down an urban corridor from each intersection."

"It really does," he answered. "And I love Columbia's downtown; the capitol area is so nice. I just think I'd like to live here."

I said, "Columbia locals often sell the city short and think it's better other places, but Columbia has a lot to offer."

"I get that from people, too, and I don't get it," he said.

That's as word-for-word as I can get it without having recorded our conversation. He looks to be in his thirties.

Columbia is definately NOT a small DC. If that was true, then I guess Charlotte is a small Hong Kong <_<

Columbia is definately NOT a small DC. If that was true, then I guess Charlotte is a small Hong Kong <_<

That was a subjective statement, not an objective statement. You can't argue with someone who's describing what they feel. You may not agree with them, but you can't dispute the way they feel.

If you've been to Hong Kong and saw characteristics that remind you of Charlotte, so be it. I agreed with the guy who made the comparison between Columbia and D.C. because I lived in D.C. for five years and definitely see characteristics in Columbia that remind me of it on a small scale. Remember that word? Small?

Archived