Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

colin

Monsoon Photos

23 posts in this topic

The season has not officially started, but based on the rains we've gotten here in Tucson over the past few days, it won't be long. This from the National Weather Service:

"the monsoon is considered to have started when we have three consecutive days when the dew point averages 55 degrees or higher."

As of about 6pm tonight, there was also an enormous dust storm headed toward Phoenix.

I took these this afternoon:

monsooncloud1.jpg

monsooncloud2.jpg

monsooncloud3.jpg

monsooncloud4.jpg

I have to tell you that's one thing i'm looking forward to. I really miss having variations in weather, and I love thunderstorms. I am told that the ones that happen in AZ are second to none. We'll see, but I am surely ready for it.

This was in today's Daily Star. It's actually of the Phoenix dust storm yesterday. Your broken church is in there, MJLO.

l132525-1.jpg

No, not yet. I'm going to be going to southern Utah and the north rim of the Grand Canyon later this month. My last trip to the Grand Canyon had crappy weather and I still haven't really gotten a chance to see it yet.

phew...here goes - taken 6/6/2006:

HPIM1465_ps.jpg

HPIM1462_ps.jpg

HPIM1474_ps.jpg

sorry these are not sharper...

that's not my church colin, That's the cathedral connected to the diocese. That's accross from the Arizona Center. The Church I took a picture of is behind city hall by the dodge theatre. I'll get more info soon.

Interesting pics . . . those desert monsoons can be quite powerful.

They can be, but severe weather is certainly not unique to Arizona, If anything it's the exception.

The thunderstorms in PHX are the most intense I've seen anywhere by a wide margin. The rain is a nice change of pace but the lightning and thunder is awe inspiring. The power will go out but everyone has a good time of it. It creates an oddly festival like atmosphere sometimes. The rain hits so fast and comes down so hard it's almost as loud as the thunder itself. Then fifteen minutes later it has passed on.

Up here in the NW we get a lot of drizzle but almost never do we see heavy thunder and lightning.

Well that's good news to hear about the weather, i'm excited to experience it. But I'm really hoping for some sustained storms. After over four months of near perfect no clouds and sunshine weather, I'm ready for a little diversity.

That's exactly why it get's everyone so hyped up...it's different. My family, much of it, lives in Fountain Hills. They love the whole everyday being the same type weather as long as it's sunny. I like the seasons and tend to like the darker months of fall and winter better than summer or spring...but all four being relatively distinct is good.

Well I hope you get some long stormy periods. I always enjoyed the monsoons.

The past couple days have been cloudier than normal :D I hope this means monsoons are almost hear! Today it's completely cloudy in Mesa, it gives me a happy. I hope we get some wicked storms soon.

From yesterday (6-25):

monsoon20060625-1.jpg

monsoon20060625-2.jpg

Today got a decent rain for a few minutes.

A rainbow over Downtown at about 5:30pm:

monsoon-rainbow1.jpg

Bring out the umbrellas!

monsoon20060626-1.jpg

I don't know if Phoenix got anything yesterday, but Downtown Tucson got a good 30 minute soaking last night.

Pictures pictures?

i have some, but i'm in AL with 56-k dial-up now. by the time i get back, i'm sure the monsoon will be in full swing anyway.

nice round of pics, though, colin...

The forecast for Tucson looks pretty rainy with temperatures staying in the upper 70s over the next few days.. about 20*F below normal thanks to the rain. I say.. I wouldn't mind living in Tucson right about now!

Upper 70's?? Maybe for low's. After noon it's nothing below 90, but the rain does tend to keep it at or just below 100, which is nice.

It was actually so nice this morning that I rode my bike in to work, but I'll probably get stuck in a hail storm on the way home or something.

I was so so happy with the rain last night, we got blown away in the valley it rained so much. I've been looking but I can't find out how much rain we actually got last night.

It's in the 90's right now, and 70% humidity. It's pretty muggy out right now. But it sure as heck was awsome.

It was raining when I woke up this morning. That hasn't happened since winter '04-05.

It's still raining, and probably won't stop for several more hours.

Beautiful stuff.

We got almost 1" rain at the airport last night and the winds were reported at above 60mph.

I got these before it came in.

monsoon20060808-1.jpg

monsoon20060808-2.jpg