Monsoon Photos

colin

The season has not officially started, but based on the rains we've gotten here in Tucson over the past few days, it won't be long. This from the National Weather Service:

"the monsoon is considered to have started when we have three consecutive days when the dew point averages 55 degrees or higher."

As of about 6pm tonight, there was also an enormous dust storm headed toward Phoenix.

I took these this afternoon:

monsooncloud1.jpg

monsooncloud2.jpg

monsooncloud3.jpg

monsooncloud4.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to tell you that's one thing i'm looking forward to. I really miss having variations in weather, and I love thunderstorms. I am told that the ones that happen in AZ are second to none. We'll see, but I am surely ready for it.

No, not yet. I'm going to be going to southern Utah and the north rim of the Grand Canyon later this month. My last trip to the Grand Canyon had crappy weather and I still haven't really gotten a chance to see it yet.

that's not my church colin, That's the cathedral connected to the diocese. That's accross from the Arizona Center. The Church I took a picture of is behind city hall by the dodge theatre. I'll get more info soon.

The thunderstorms in PHX are the most intense I've seen anywhere by a wide margin. The rain is a nice change of pace but the lightning and thunder is awe inspiring. The power will go out but everyone has a good time of it. It creates an oddly festival like atmosphere sometimes. The rain hits so fast and comes down so hard it's almost as loud as the thunder itself. Then fifteen minutes later it has passed on.

Up here in the NW we get a lot of drizzle but almost never do we see heavy thunder and lightning.

Well that's good news to hear about the weather, i'm excited to experience it. But I'm really hoping for some sustained storms. After over four months of near perfect no clouds and sunshine weather, I'm ready for a little diversity.

That's exactly why it get's everyone so hyped up...it's different. My family, much of it, lives in Fountain Hills. They love the whole everyday being the same type weather as long as it's sunny. I like the seasons and tend to like the darker months of fall and winter better than summer or spring...but all four being relatively distinct is good.

Well I hope you get some long stormy periods. I always enjoyed the monsoons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Upper 70's?? Maybe for low's. After noon it's nothing below 90, but the rain does tend to keep it at or just below 100, which is nice.

It was actually so nice this morning that I rode my bike in to work, but I'll probably get stuck in a hail storm on the way home or something.

I was so so happy with the rain last night, we got blown away in the valley it rained so much. I've been looking but I can't find out how much rain we actually got last night.

It's in the 90's right now, and 70% humidity. It's pretty muggy out right now. But it sure as heck was awsome.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived