Adaptive reuse in Columbia

krazeeboi

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I eat at Longhorn probably on average about twice a week. I am always eavesdropping on people's cell phone conversations as they describe Longhorn to whomever they're talking to. People from the National Advocacy Center go there a lot. I sit at the bar and come in contact with a cross-section of people from the area and from all over the country. They like the Vista.

When I think of California Dreaming, Blue Marlin, Longhorn, Olympia Mill, Granby Mill, Publix (the Confederate Printing Plant/recent national award), Kress (apartments and a restaurant), and even the Columbia Police Headquarters, the former Ryan Printing/Spaghetti Warehouse building, the Luther Lee building, and so many others I cant' think of right now, I will say that Columbia has many examples of adpative reuse in an historic context that can't be surpassed. As the hair stands up on the necks of anyone who disagrees, notice I said can't be surpassed, not can't be equaled.

Pictures I found online of the Blue Marlin restaurant, housed in the old Seaboard Airline Railroad Station building:

And I forgot about Longhorn Steakhouse, which appears to be housed in an old fire station:

Krazee, you are so right to point out the many great examples of adaptive reuse here is the Capital City--let's just hope that the Palmetto Compress warehouse will be next! I will consider writing Historic Columbia Foundation, the mayor, or that fellow rehabilitating Main Street (Tapp's, etc.)--I forget his name, but I'll look on previous threads for it . .

One of Columbia's most deservedly lauded adaptive re-uses was the old Greyhound Bus station downtown that became a bank (I believe.) Sadly, it now sits empty. Why doesn't a restaurantier buy it and turn it into a cool hang out? Downtown needs not only better and more restaurants, but ANY attraction to get people down there and give it a pulse at night.

Also, don't forget one of the best that is yet to come: transforming the old "Asylum" into a hotel (or office building, or whatever) and its surrounds into a village. That will be THE best example in the state once its done, and will bring us NATIONAL attention and praise. :wub:

Krazee, you are so right to point out the many great examples of adaptive reuse here is the Capital City--let's just hope that the Palmetto Compress warehouse will be next! I will consider writing Historic Columbia Foundation, the mayor, or that fellow rehabilitating Main Street (Tapp's, etc.)--I forget his name, but I'll look on previous threads for it . .

Once again, this Forum is way ahead of the curve!! Today, the State newspaper announced that the Arnold Company is planning to turn the Palmetto Compress and Warehouse Company building into a 173-loft condominium building with first floor commercial space! You guys rock!

See article: http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/14840295.htm

Once again, this Forum is way ahead of the curve!! Today, the State newspaper announced that the Arnold Company is planning to turn the Palmetto Compress and Warehouse Company building into a 173-loft condominium building with first floor commercial space! You guys rock!

My jaw dropped percipitously this morning, indeed! I promise I don't work for any of these developers or their marketing companies . . but what welcome news! :w00t:

I am so relieved, and very happy about this. The article said that there would be commercial space on the first floor, and that the lofts would have exposed brick and restored heart pine floors. Wow--sounds great. Woo-hoo!!! :yahoo:

Great news indeed.

If Matt wins the lottery, not only will he build a new tower in Columbia, but he'll also turn the Greyhound bus station into a funky dance club. ;)

When I win the lottery, Krazee, when. Of course I have to play to win and I haven't played in a while. Maybe tonight.

That's awesome. Where is this building?

Never mind I found it in the Developments forum.

See article: http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/14840295.htm

This is very exciting. I'm glad they are keeping it somewhat affordable and having street level retail. Palmetto Pig will certainly have to expand.

I want to see some more developments along Pulaski street, connecting Gervais and Blossom St.

• 3 weeks later...

We can add these:

The Middleton Building; part of the City Club residential development, will house 8 flats:

middletonbldg.jpg

Bethel Cultural Center, former home of Bethel AME Church:

bethel.jpg

Seibels House, now home to Historic Columbia administrative offices and also some law offices:

seibels2.jpg

Archived