America's only tea plantation in Charleston

gs3

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tea farm is a really wonderful place. I'm fortunate that my dad was the chief horticulturalist there when it was a Lipton research farm. I spent quite a few weekends and summers out there when I was a kid. It's a shame that Mack Fleming had to auction off the farm a few years ago (he was the general manager under Lipton, and later bought it when Lipton decided to downsize its R&D program), but I'm very glad that Bigelow bought it and is running it as a functioning tea farm. I'd definitely recommend taking a tour out there. It's a truly unique piece of the Lowcountry.

^ Thanks for the info! Next time I'm in Charleston, definitely want to check it out. Is there a better time of year to visit? Spring? Summer? Fall?

Well, tea is a member of the camelia family, so they harvest the leaves in the spring. A few weeks prior to the harvest, they prune away the buds of the plants, which is also a time of great activity. I'm thinking if you want to see the farm in actual operation, either of these times would be a good time to go. I'm not sure what the exact dates would be, but I'm guessing the pruning would be in late March, and the harvest in mid-April. I'm sure the people at Bigelow could tell you more specifically. Hope this helps.

Yep, it is cool how the city possesses so many different things which no other city has. Though I really don't like tea, this would be a great place to check out when visiting.

How can you be from the South, one of the cradles of Southern culture at that, and not like tea? :angry::D:P

Well, tea is a member of the camelia family, so they harvest the leaves in the spring. A few weeks prior to the harvest, they prune away the buds of the plants, which is also a time of great activity. I'm thinking if you want to see the farm in actual operation, either of these times would be a good time to go. I'm not sure what the exact dates would be, but I'm guessing the pruning would be in late March, and the harvest in mid-April. I'm sure the people at Bigelow could tell you more specifically. Hope this helps.

Thanks Isgchas! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

How can you be from the South, one of the cradles of Southern culture at that, and not like tea?...

:lol: Ummm...there's a Yankee somewhere in my family tree? :D I don't know, my parents tried to get me to like tea when I was little, and I never liked it. Even when I went to family reunions is St. George, I would only drink water or soda. Call me different, I guess! ;)

Archived