Rum Runners and a retro Disco Club to open this week in DT Greensboro

cityboi

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

downtown is on the move! Rum Runners duel piano bar and grill will open today in the old Kress Building while the disco nightclub will open this Friday in the Kress Building.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/606070314

I went in there once and the space on the first floor is huge. The ceiling is so high. That building should be rockin now with Rum Runners, a disco night club and Friday at 5 event held on the rooftop terrace.

yeah, it's great to see this stuff happening. i checked out the new roof top section above greene street when i played there a few weeks ago. it's really nice. apparently the whole rooftop thing is catching on all over the place. i know of several places in uptown charlotte that have done the same thing.

I heard that the Flying Anvil in downtown Greensboro is open too. Its a music venue where bands come and play. Its located on Lewis Steet between South Elm Street and the soaring Greene Street bridge.

btw here is a cool photo I found.

ballparknightskyline.jpg

Thanks. Greensboro has a growing nightlife. Now if we can get more LARGE scale residential and attract more office development downtown. It would also be nice to see a couple of large hotels being built downtown. Its important to attract tourist to the center-city as well. I still think the Proximity Hotel should have been built downtown. The Green Valley location near Friendly Shopping Center is just not the right setting for the design and feel of that hotel. It will look out of place because the building will have a historic design and its surrounded by modern buildings. It should have been built somewhere near South Elm Street.

I wonder what happened with the plan for a Hampton Inn on Greene Street from a SC developer?

I havent heard anything lately but i'm assuming the developer is still in negotiations with the land. Sometimes it just takes time to get things in order.

on a downside, the news and record just reported that plans for a 15-story federal courthouse in downtown Greensboro are being delayed again and that it may be 10-12 years before construction starts. Construction was suppose to start this year but has not received funding due to the rising national deficiet (war in Iraq). The rumored location for the courthouse is where that big parking lot is today located at the corner of North Elm and Bellemeade Streets and across from the NC Trust Center.

it looks like they had a pretty good opening weekend at rum runners. i was downtown on saturday night and there was a line of people waiting to get in after 11:00.

then i was across from it on sunday because thai pan restaraunt was SUPPOSED to be open on sunday (they were closed) and this bartender guy from rum runners was out on the street telling everyone he saw about their $2.00 drink specials on sundays.

I was actually in Greensboro yesterday and got back this AM and had the opportunity to check out downtown.

First of all, downtown was HOPPIN' last night. The new spot in the old Kress building looked like it had a lot of patrons.

I agree with cityboi about downtown needing more hotels. As popular of a convention spot Greensboro is, you would figure that it would have more. I guess the reason is because none of the venues (Coliseum, Koury Convention Center) are located downtown.

I think the old Wachovia tower becoming a new residential tower will do even more wonders for the downtown streetlife. Live-work units would do really well downtown, I think.

Now if we can get about 3 more office towers built, things would REALLY be on a roll.

Oh yeah, and why is it that First Citizens buildings tend to be street-killers? The ones in Greensboro, Charlotte, and Columbia aren't really the most inviting at street level, due to lack of street-level retail. But I think the one in Greensboro takes the cake.

I personally think there is enough street level activity downtown to build a few hotels, especially near South Elm Street. But of South Elm Street is beginning to spill over to Greene Street where there are clubs and restaurants opening up. btw I love thew new roundabout at Greene and Mcgee Streets. Its very attractive and the whole circle is made of brick or at least asphalt that looks like brick.

but RumRuners looks like a fun place to get drunk LOL!!

Archived