Triangle overtaking Metro Charlotte in population?

An interesting thing that I ran across today.

Moody's (the bond rating firm) economic division released inter-metro migration numbers.

The number of people moving from Charlotte to Raleigh in 2005 was 1,189 people.

The number of people moving from Raleigh to Charlotte in 2005 was 1,210 people.

Not too much difference.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

A little something i came up with for the Urbanized Areas in the 2000 census. Also included some other cities for comparison

City Urbanized Area's

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlanta, GA 3, 499, 840

Virginia Beach, VA 1, 394, 439

Richmond, VA 818, 836

Charlotte, NC-SC 758,927

Nashville-Davidson, TN 749, 935

Raleigh, NC 541,527

Charleston-North Charleston, SC 423,410

Columbia, SC 420,537

Greenville, SC 302,194

Winston-Salem, NC 299, 290

Durham, NC 287, 796

Fayetteville, NC 276, 368

Greensboro, NC 267,884

Ashville, NC 221, 570

Hickory, NC 187, 808

Wilmington, NC 161, 149

Spartanburg, SC 145, 058

Gastonia, NC 141, 407

High Point, NC 132, 844

Myrtle Beach, SC 122, 984

Concord, NC 115, 057

Those numbers are very out of date and they have been posted here many times in the years since they were put out.

Yeah but unfortunately, those are the most recent figures to go by. I really wish UA estimates were released every year along with municipal, county, and metro population estimates.

thats why i used the 2000 census since the yearly ones are really just estimates. In 2010 we will have another official census. I never realized how big richmonds urban area was. I always throught Charlottes was bigger. I like Charlottes skyline better though.

thats why i used the 2000 census since the yearly ones are really just estimates. In 2010 we will have another official census. I never realized how big richmonds urban area was. I always throught Charlottes was bigger. I like Charlottes skyline better though.

In areas of high growth, the difference in size of an estimate several years after a census, and the size during the census will be a lot larger than the margin of error of the estimate.

Archived