Homepark...what is is like now

vammirato

Hey all, I used to live in Hompark (between 10th and 14th streets right next to GT campus) for ten years centering around the Olympics. The neighborhood was slummy but interspersed with a few "gentrifiers" and high end homes.

I watched the Triangle house get built on the corner of Hemphill and Currant...I worked in the bakery across from it and the architect/builder would give me periodic tours and updates.

There waws such a weird mix of retired steel workers, Muslims (there were two mosques), college students, artists, and musicians. Crime was horrible...break-ins and car theft be the primary ones. Every other corner had a drug dealer.

I remember one time a crucified deer being lit on fire and thrown on a neighbor's car hood...I wonder what he did?

I lived next to a hosue that was set on fire the same night the Margaret Mitchell house burned down.

I also fondly remember the parties we had. Houses had nicknames like Hollywood or Room 11 (ours was Stongehenge). We would close the streets down (with a permit) every six months and block party.

Is it still so diverse or have all the poor folks moved on? Is East Atlanta the last bastion for the scuzzy side of urban living?

Thanks,

Vam

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got some friends that live in Home Park and I'm over there a good bit. The area is still pretty crummy, but not to the extent that you describe. Mostly college kids, from what I see, and muslims (new mosque being built on 14th st.). Crime, I hear, is still kind of an issue but again, not nearly as bad as you describe from the past. Break-ins are still somewhat common, but overall I think the area is improving (gentrifying? probably).

The neighborhood is definitely improving home value wise - there is now a massive mixed use new urbanist project called Atlantic Station at the old steel mill now. The biggest issue will be those long time residents being priced out of their houses. Otherwise, GA Tech students are still common there as more homes are being sold & rented out by speculators. In the home's place they are building mini-mcmansions, that are still comparably smaller to most mcmansions but do stick out in the neighborhood. While the border to the north is full of $500k+ homes & condo towers from Atlantic Station, the neighborhood axed a proposed 30+ condo tower on the now demolished stretch north of the Office Depot shopping center. Speaking of which there are rumours it will be torn down eventually too, especially since GA DOT will be raising 14th St above the freeway exit.

I always wanted to see that triangular house, it was ahead of Atlanta's time.

The neighborhood is definitely improving home value wise - there is now a massive mixed use new urbanist project called Atlantic Station at the old steel mill now.

We used to throw the most awesome parties in the universe at the old steel mill. Imagine the entire metal superstructure lined with cnadles every few feet, a couple of kegs, and a generator for djs/bands.

Sigh...nowehere to do that now I guess...at least they got an Ikea.

Vam

I always wanted to see that triangular house, it was ahead of Atlanta's time.

Very cool. The ceiling is probably the most amazing feaure. Elliptical curve and wooden planked made it look like an upside down ship's hull.

V

Archived