Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotteman

The Arlington vs. Smith Curry Condominiums

17 posts in this topic

The Arlington and Smith Curry Condos appear to be the least popular of this current wave of Uptown condo development.

Of the two which do you prefer and why?

The Arlington and Smith Curry Condos appear to be the least popular of this current wave of Uptown condo development.

The Pink Building. It is the little building that just keeps trying. Honestly, though, I find it hard to see anything positive about the Smith-Curry building (IMHO) from its location between two cheap looking hotels, to its views, to its name (developers should not name their buildings after themselves).

The Pink Building at least has fantastic views.

I like the Arlington. And a whole lot more than what I am imagining "The Tower" (I think that's what the name of Smith Curry Condos was officially changed to) will look like. Even though I've seen the initial sketch, which is obviously being deviated from, I just see it as a very awkward looking group of buildings in downtown Charlotte. At least the Arlington has an urban look instead of the sytrofoam and stucco resort look that The Tower will probably have.

I like the Arlington. And a whole lot more than what I am imagining "The Tower" (I think that's what the name of Smith Curry Condos was officially changed to) will look like. Even though I've seen the initial sketch, which is obviously being deviated from, I just see it as a very awkward looking group of buildings in downtown Charlotte. At least the Arlington has an urban look instead of the sytrofoam and stucco resort look that The Tower will probably have.

I agree, the Tower would not be one of our highlights along a future uptown Charlotte Tour I'm sure. I like the Arlington in that it sticks out. It is a very well known tower all over the city. The Tower will quickly fade into memories as it is nothing but awkward and small in scale to those around it. Arlington sets a level of diversity that no other tower in Charlotte can come close to.

I love the arlington its one of my favourite features in the southend/dilworth area, I hope we have more multicolored buildings in that area in the future, its very cultural and interesting, and I think this building is not the most critized building of this wave of condos anyways, because for one thing its not part of this wave of condos, its its own wave of condos, its been there forever it seems. I think you should cite the park and the tower as the least popular, the pink building just has its couple of problems, and was actually built.

Hmmmm.....I think the only way to solve this is for both buildings to engage in a death match.

Hmmmm.....I think the only way to solve this is for both buildings to engage in a death match.

Someone PLEASE Japanamate that! Death battle on the 277 overpass...

Three buildings against one, looks like we have a battle royal.

It will be interesting to know what the monthly H.O.D. will be for the Smith Curry Tower.

Who could pass up a Smith Curry balcony view? Ah, I can just picture it... The roof over the parking deck! The hotel beside you!! Pigeon poop!!! :D

Forgive my ingnorance :unsure: but being a relative newcomer to Charlotte...where the heck is The Smith Curry building? I have never heard of it.

ignorance that is :lol:

Speaking of clocks, is the huge clock tower at the base of Wachovia 1 still in operation? (excuse my question, I haven't been to Charlotte in a while:)

I think it was built when the Hilton was completed (?)

^ Yeah, its still there. But they don't light the inside of the glass blocks anymore.

The Wachovia clock tower must look pretty snazzy from the trolley vantage point...I was wondering if the Smith Curry clock tower is readily visible from the tracks as well.

The Wachovia clock tower must look pretty snazzy from the trolley vantage point...I was wondering if the Smith Curry clock tower is readily visible from the tracks as well.

Probably will. The south facing Curry Clock is quite visible from South Blvd crossing 277.