Brown's vision of the future

Cotuit

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope that they will choose the Jewelry District instead of RI Hospital as a site. With the JD, they could really help to enliven the area as well as neighboring downcity. With RI Hospital I'm afraid the medical school would just be part of what we have now: a closed compound surrounded by parking lots that doesn't really impact the surrounding area in any noticeable way. On the other hand, if they could invest in South Providence without displacing people that would certainly be a good thing too.

• 4 weeks later...

Brown to raise money for public schools [Boston.com]

The article also outlines Brown's plans for development of a slavery memorial, creating an academic center on slavery and justice, strengthen its Africana Studies Department and revise its official history to provide a more accurate account of the school's early years.

"In addition, the university plans to provide free tuition to a select group of graduate students who will act as urban education fellows and serve in the city's public schools for a minimum of three years."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Corporation of Brown University celebrates a milestone for Boldly Brown: The Campaign for Academic Enrichment; elects new trustees; votes to initiate planning and design for a new swimming and diving facility; establishes new research centers in science and international economics. http://www.brown.edu/Administration/News_B...-07/06-171.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brown received approval from the CPC last night to abandon a small portion of Fones Alley to allow them to move forward with their Brown Walk concept, linking Olive and Waterman Street with a landscaped pedestrian walkway.

Yup. Went by there today and they are moving the house up to the corner. The foundation is pretty much poured and the house is being readied for the move. dust, a nice old house get saved in one move. Go Brown.

Looks like it will be soon. They're already removing columns and other parts in preparation for the move. I bet they'll go up Olive Street.

Any idea when the house move is happening? I hope they publically announce the date, as it's absolutely amazing to see an entire house rolled up a street. I just saw it in Cambridge, MA a few weeks ago, and the engineering is amazing.

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty neat, the house is currently sitting at a 45 degree angle in Olive Street. If you have a chance to get out over there, check it out. I didn't have my camera with me, but I might go back later.

Archived