• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been doing more reading about this whole technology commercialization thing that the new RI-CIE is doing, and it's getting me HOT! I went to their opening workshop and blogged it on the New Commons site. Quick take: It's Brown U + EDC = RI Nexus for the Bio/Med cluster.

The idea is to create a conduit between the research institutions and companies that want to commercialize new technology. Since it's about the local research cluster, it tends to be in bio/med just because that's what they've got. Other similar places have different targets like aerospace or nanotechnology. This kind of center is even more important to the research folks than it is for the tech cluster because academic researchers and venture capitalists could not be more differenter. RI-CIE helps academics manage the way their work gets put into the market, and it helps the VCs feel more secure approaching super-genius inventors who may or may not have mad scientist tendencies.

RI-CIE is in Davol Square hard by 222 Richmond, so the "Knowledge Economy" district seems to be taking shape. Now all we need is those biotech companies to, you know, happen... :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived