Brown's vision of the future

Cotuit

I attended a small Catholic school up in Worcester (Assumption) and the campus police were armed there, despite the college being nestled in Worcester's affluent neighborhood. Never really was an issue, was joked about more than anything. I don't see a problem arming campus police, assuming they've received the proper training. ( I believe AssCo's PS had to attend police academy or something)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attended a small Catholic school up in Worcester (Assumption) and the campus police were armed there, despite the college being nestled in Worcester's affluent neighborhood. Never really was an issue, was joked about more than anything. I don't see a problem arming campus police, assuming they've received the proper training. ( I believe AssCo's PS had to attend police academy or something)

The student body hasen't really come out against this too much, which was surprising for such a liberal school. I think if this were the '60's or '70's the response might have been different.

Arming college police is a sensitive and volatile issue. Wonder what people's thoughts are on this?

Personally, I dont see an urban college police force being all that effective without being armed. They seem to have recieved adequate training.

I have been a public safety administrator and I can see no justification for arming anyone at any college. I know and have worked with Bill Bratton but totally disagree on this issue. Brown is in a large city with hundreds of city police officials on the street.. The state never should have been permitted to become certified police officers as they are a private company...money talks.

And does Yale face the same public opposition as Brown does when presenting expansion projects.

It's been quite a while since I've lived there, but my recollection is that there usually isn't nearly as much opposition. This is for several reasons:

1) It's their campus and no one else's:

Unlike Brown, whose campus is diffuse and scattered all over College Hill, Yale's campus is fairly encapsulated and doesn't bleed into the city. Much of this construction is happening deep within its own gates and boundries, and doesn't impact the surrounding neighborhoods or city.

2) It's not a residential area:

The construction on the fringes of the campus or outside the campus are happening in neighborhoods that aren't particularly residential or, in some instances, are run down residential areas that welcome the development attention.

3) What scale problem?:

Unlike Brown, which is a collection of smaller buildings or converted homes, Yale's campus is pretty much a collection of very large buildings, especially on "Science Hill" and the Medical School campus (which has some truly gigantic old buildings). So building a giant biomedical research building or hulking cancer center just fits right in with what's already there. I'm sure this is one reason Brown must like the idea of its biomedical expansion ideas for the Jewelry District. Who would notice?

4) They are the only game in town:

If Yale doesn't build and expand in NH, who will? For this reason alone, development opposition isn't strong.

Often at Yale, opposition comes from within their own campus, especially on the architecture front. Yale has such great, gothic, old architecture (much of which was deliberately and consciously cribbed from Oxford in the late 1800's) that many charge that the university's modern efforts just aren't up to snuff, or on the flip side, when they do architecture that attempts to contextually fit in, it's weak, banal, and obvious.

- Garris

I have been a public safety administrator and I can see no justification for arming anyone at any college. I know and have worked with Bill Bratton but totally disagree on this issue. Brown is in a large city with hundreds of city police officials on the street.. The state never should have been permitted to become certified police officers as they are a private company...money talks.

I don't know where you worked in Public Safety but it is far more than money talking. The Brown Police are police officers just like any other force in the state. They are on the road patrolling the campus and adjacent city streets. They go through rigorous police academy training, Brown is not simply giving guns to security guards hired off the street. Considering the response time from Providence Police on the East Side it's imperative that the Brown Police be armed for officer safety and for the safety of the university community and general community on College Hill.

They are on the road patrolling the campus and adjacent city streets.

I've heard over the years that after 9pm security forces have jurisdiction over what happens on the sidewalks adjacent to the property that they patrol. Does anyone know if this is true, and what law is this?

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard over the years that after 9pm security forces have jurisdiction over what happens on the sidewalks adjacent to the property that they patrol. Does anyone know if this is true, and what law is this?

Not really. Brown PD has jurisdiction over city streets at all times as they are sworn police officers. They have all the powers of Providence Police Officers and would be bound to act if they witnessed a crime in any area of the city while on duty. However, they most often defer to Providence Police on serious matters.

Public Safety or Security Officers have very few actual powers, even on their own property. However, like Brown officers they would be bound to act if they witnessed a crime or event while on duty in uniform. They have limited powers to detain a suspect until Providence Police can be brought on scene. This is regardless of the time of day.

Providence Police and the various Safety and Security forces do often work very closely together. In the event of an emergency, the various forces back each other up, and in the event of large planned event they work together. For example, during the Red Sox World Series Championship series, various colleges and the city police had officers on duty on Weybosset outside J&W to monitor anticipated unrest.

• 1 month later...

I really, really hope Brown takes the "outsource" option. I'm going to head to the Brown website to voice my opinion now, actually. The current bookstore has very limited hours, adds nothing to the flavor of Thayer St, and its organization and overall condition leaves much to be desired.

One need only look at what B&N did for the Yale Bookstore. Their redo of that institution resulted in a store that just drips with local Yale flavor and character, far more than the old, sterile, "flea market" feeling store ever did. It has real hours and is a center for students, the community, and tourists. It's amazing.

- Garris

Are you suggesting a 24 hr store?

I would suggest a store that is not closed during winter break. I went to Thayer specifically to shop at the BB once to find it closed, how annoying, and what a poor way to make money.

It would be nice to see the BB improve to become a kind of anchor for Thayer Street's retail district. Thayer Street has degraded greatly in the few years I've lived here. I used to like to bring friends up there to wander around and go into the shops, but the shops are becoming fewer and fewer (no College Hill Bookstore, no In Your Ear, no Oop!...). The last time I brought an out of town friend up there, it was kind of embarrassing, sort of like, 'well that's it then?'

and to see the Bookstore expand to fill all the floors of the Brown Office Building.

Yes, I was hoping with the purchase of the building on South Main we might see some BOB staff move down there and allow for the bookstore to expand.

The 195 land opening up would be a great place for a science research city, don't you think?

I don't think they really have the time to wait for the 195 land, they should be moving now. There's all that space near the Coro Parking Garage, they should buy that up and get building.

I don't think they really have the time to wait for the 195 land, they should be moving now. There's all that space near the Coro Parking Garage, they should buy that up and get building.

True, they probably shouldn't (and can't) wait that long.

The article about all of Yale's new buildings and additions is now online. Compare the huge amount they are doing to the comparatively small (and tame) new Life Sciences Building off Thayer.

Article: http://www.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/c...chitecture.html

Photo tour: http://www.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/2...01/popup/1.html

I'll post this on the CT board too...

Again, Brown, if it wants to stay in the top tier (and push up to the elite tier) of research institutions, it's got to get moving on this stuff and they won't be able to do it on College Hill (where the CHNA will fight to the last man and women to prevent another science building from being done there...)

- Garris

True, they probably shouldn't (and can't) wait that long.

The article about all of Yale's new buildings and additions is now online. Compare the huge amount they are doing to the comparatively small (and tame) new Life Sciences Building off Thayer.

Article: http://www.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/c...chitecture.html

Photo tour: http://www.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/2...01/popup/1.html

I'll post this on the CT board too...

Again, Brown, if it wants to stay in the top tier (and push up to the elite tier) of research institutions, it's got to get moving on this stuff and they won't be able to do it on College Hill (where the CHNA will fight to the last man and women to prevent another science building from being done there...)

- Garris

Brown's plan is to increase its presence in the Jewelry District and eventually to build on the 195 land.

Brown's plan is to increase its presence in the Jewelry District and eventually to build on the 195 land.

Have they actually said this publically? My empiric impression is that they've been very tight lipped about their larger strategic vision.

I'm kind of surprised they investing so much in the core campus and non-sciences in the years ahead ("The Walk," several upcoming liberal arts buildings lining it, etc). I thought they'd be gearing up for a big science and biotech expansion in the JD and 195 land. Again, that area won't be available until 2012 at the absolute earliest to start building, so maybe they've got enough reserves to focus on the main campus now and the JD and 195 land later (I hope so...).

If I were the head of Brown's sciences, though, I wouldn't love the idea of waiting 6+ years for the ability to expand my facilities and translational research abilities off College Hill (which will revolt before another lab building is proposed) when the rest of the academic field (worldwide) is surging forward as fast as possible.

- Garris

Have they actually said this publically? My empiric impression is that they've been very tight lipped about their larger strategic vision.

- Garris

Yes, they hired Frances Halsband Architects a couple of years ago to prepare a plan for the University's growth over the next couple of decades. The Board of Trustees has endorsed the plan.

Here's a link:

http://www.brown.edu/webmaster/strategic_f...work/framework/

They identify the JD, the Waterfront near RI Hospital, the 195 land, and possibly East Providence as sites for future development.

Already Brown has placed Development, Computer Services, and Biomedical Research in the JD. I've heard rumors that they're interested in getting involved with the SBER's Dynamo House project as well.

Ah, now I know why I didn't know about this. It came out before I moved here.

Boy, that's a great website. Tons, tons, tons of great and deep past, present, and future Brown and Providence information. I'll be reading all of this stuff for days. Anyone interested in Providence, Brown, or the East Side will find this mandatory reading.

I captured this great Providence-centric historic map off of the site. I think I have a new desktop background :).

- Garris

providencecentricmap5db.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Top 10 Dream Colleges in the U.S.A.

New York University has once again been named the No. 1 dream school by the Princeton Review, beating out the usual favorites of Harvard, Stanford and Yale. Among parents, the dream college is Princeton University, while students and their parents chose Harvard second and third respectively.

The list was created based on this fill-in-the-blank question asked of 3,890 college applicants and 1,012 parents of applicants: "What 'dream college' would you most like to attend (or see your child attend) were prospects of acceptance or cost not issues?"

The top 10 dream colleges for students:

1. New York University

2. Harvard University

3. Princeton University

4. Stanford University

5. Yale University

6. Brown University

7. Columbia University

8. Duke University

9. Cornell University

10. University of California Los Angeles

The top 10 dream colleges for parents: