bad taste?

L3ft1isM

Question: Do you think it would be in bad taste if I posted some photos from the "low income" side of town? I've snapped a few photos that I thought were interesting such as hand painted business signs and neighborhood picts. But, I don't want to give Orlando a bad image or have people frown upon me for posting them.

I guess I just want to hear your opinions before I posted them.

Thanks,

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: Do you think it would be in bad taste if I posted some photos from the "low income" side of town? I've snapped a few photos that I thought were interesting such as hand painted business signs and neighborhood picts. But, I don't want to give Orlando a bad image or have people frown upon me for posting them.

Thanks,

No, I don't think its in bad taste at all

If we are going to spend our time here posting and reading the good and beautiful, we must also acknowledge the bad and not so beautiful

It'll remind of us that not every new project is completely a top priority in Orlando or anywhere else

Post away man, my blessing I bestow unto thee

Thanks,

Every city has varying degrees of income and class.

I would like to see your photos.

The seating arrangement is ok. I would, however; move the thrown to the top center of the steps for proper reception of court appearances, code violations and warrants from loyal subjects.

[/quote

Being the architectural dilettante that I am, I must say that I love the photographs. While the building featured may appear to be a shack it represents a distinctive architectural style unique to the south. There are classical proportions, and the exposed porch on the second floor is a very regional feature found in Low Country or the Southern Gulf States. It's an vernacular architecture that isn't grand, but reflects the lives of the the middle class. The Veranda in Thornton Park and some of the new two story homes going up in Eola Heights and College Park are the direct descendents of this style. I would like to know the age of the building and the location to for a more accurate analysis, but I like the pics. Keep 'em coming.

Okay, I will post some of the photos I have. Only posting the one right now, it's the only one I have uploaded and the others are at home.

I will post more later.

Here is Michael J, he's keeping it real, sometimes you can buy cd's in the covered area. I think they keep them locked up in that trailor on the end with the bars.

hood01_thumb.jpg

Click on thumbnail for larger view.

How is this for crappy?

post-4107-1149769781_thumb.jpg

Well, yeah it's ashame the renovation effort was halfass. No doubt the result of some slumlord who was harrassed by code-enforcement to do something. Eventhough the building appears to be salvageable and worthwhile, the owner seems to be of a different opinion. I can understand code enforcement being flexible and looking the other way when the owner makes an attempt with limited resources to clean up and make a difference in this neighborhood.....but this is a bad example. Someone needs to buy this building and do it right! (wink wink...a good weekend hobby for Jack!)

There must be other better examples in this neighborhood that reflect the momentum of sweeping changes taking place in Parramore....give it another year or two and the word Parramore will become fashionable at cocktail parties. It took a few years before Thorton Park became the place to be seen. Hmmm...maybe the Orlando Gay community needs to start moving in to Parramore! :shok:

Well, yeah it's ashame the renovation effort was halfass. No doubt the result of some slumlord who was harrassed by code-enforcement to do something. Eventhough the building appears to be salvageable and worthwhile, the owner seems to be of a different opinion. I can understand code enforcement being flexible and looking the other way when the owner makes an attempt with limited resources to clean up and make a difference in this neighborhood.....but this is a bad example. Someone needs to buy this building and do it right! (wink wink...a good weekend hobby for Jack!)

There must be other better examples in this neighborhood that reflect the momentum of sweeping changes taking place in Parramore....give it another year or two and the word Parramore will become fashionable at cocktail parties. It took a few years before Thorton Park became the place to be seen. Hmmm...maybe the Orlando Gay community needs to start moving in to Parramore! :shok:

I agree, I think that it could be a great single family home. I have seen some photos from the 80's of Thornton Park and it was just as bad. But there are better homes in the Parramore community.

post-4107-1149801338_thumb.jpg

post-4107-1149801372_thumb.jpg

post-4107-1149801338_thumb.jpg

post-4107-1149801372_thumb.jpg

That is one insane ice cream van. Quite possibly the most ghetto ice cream van I have ever seen, and I've seen plenty of ghetto ice cream vans.

What's up with the cages built around the brake lights? Is someone going to steal them?

Here are a few more:

One of my favorites, "The Armored Ice Cream Truck"

armoredicecream_thumb.jpg

Pimp your ride!

hood02_thumb.jpg

This place has really good food!

johnsondinerJPG_thumb.jpg

It's kind of like Robert Venturi's analysis of American architecture in the book Learning from Las Vegas: The Forgotten Symbolism of Architectural Form Lots of stuff exactly like this.

Archived