Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

distortedlogic

Upstate Growth

14 posts in this topic

I know we talk a lot on here about the growth of the upstate, how many people we are adding, etc. I was looking at the triangle thread in the NC forum since we often compare our upstate to that area. An article jsut came out on population growth in Raliegh. It is adding 12,000 people per year just in the city. This is about twice what Greenville is adding in the whole county!! That city population is now over 370,000 people. I know we have exhausted the city limit size/number topic so I don't want to get into that. Someone recently posted a figure for Gville city that shows it continues to lose population, now at about 54,000. There are also threads about Cary's tremendous growth, and that by 2030, the triangle could be home to 2.5 - 3M people! I know we like to consider the Raliegh and the triangle as one of our "peers", but I am not sure we can really say that. Kinda puts our growth in perspective.

I don't think the city of Greenville will continue to lose population with all of these new residential developments going up. :thumbsup:

Its hard to compare cities in NC and SC. I think that if you look at the County level, Greenville and Spartanburg are keeping pace with Raleigh and Durham.

^Maybe Durham County, but I don't think any county in the state can compare with Wake County, either in terms in percentage or sheer numbers.

The city of Raleigh is bigger than SC's biggest county...Really not good comparisons

The city of Raleigh is bigger than SC's biggest county...Really not good comparisons

I know what you mean to say, but is Raleigh larger than Greenville County? That would be well over 400,000 people.

Yeah, Greenville county's population is 401,000+. So the city of Raleigh is larger than every county but Greenville. ;)

In 2004, 326,653 people lived in the city of Raleigh. I'm not sure what it is now.

I believe Raleigh's population just cracked the 350,000 mark. While it's not bigger than Greenville County now, at the rate that place has been growing, just give it a few years.

Yeah, Greenville county's population is 401,000+. So the city of Raleigh is larger than every county but Greenville. ;)

According to the 2004 figures, Richland and Charleston counties are larger as well. :thumbsup:

I didn't realize how big Raleigh was until I saw these numbers. Whats Greenville's true size for 06?

The comparison between GSP and RDU is most likely a holdover from decades past. If memory serves, RDU didn't pass GSP in metro population (not including Anderson) till the 1990 census. Before then, it was natural to compare the two, since they were comparable structurally--two cities, one more dominant, etc., and about the same population.

I agree that, given the growth, the comparison between GSP and RDU doesn't really make sense any more. Now the more relevant comparison seems to be with G'boro-HP-WS (if it wasn't always the more relevant one).

I haven't spent much time in Raleigh in a long time, but if it is anything like Charlotte or Orlando, then they are probably also suffering from the downside of rapid growth. Especially Orlando, which in the 1970 census was about the same size Greenville was then, and is now as big or bigger than Charlotte (metro). Greenville's historic growth rates may pale in comparison to some cities, but it is growing a lot and preserving its appeal at the same time. I'm all for that mix.

Big is a subjective term. Meaning you don't get that big metro feel when you drive though RDU on 40/440 or 540. It is only when you get on the surface streets past the pine trees that you see any urbanity. Many of Raleigh forumers will not contest that statement.

Big is a subjective term. Meaning you don't get that big metro feel when you drive though RDU on 40/440 or 540. It is only when you get on the surface streets past the pine trees that you see any urbanity. Many of Raleigh forumers will not contest that statement.

I didn't think so when I drove through, other than the insane amount of traffic.