Gallery on Fulton

civitas

Yeah, that one. I see a building under renovation. What exactly do you see?

Joe

Do you mean the Fitzgerald? I think the jury is still out on that one, all I see is building with no windows. But I have to agree, this just can't be what it would look like. If the UICA comes through, they're not going to want a building that looks like an airplane hangar. And the historic people would tear it apart.

The image posted in the Press is not the final design. It is just a model to show scale, massing, etc..

I'll try and post newer images when I get the chance (in my email inbox as we speak). :thumbsup:

Phew!! I thought for a minute the developers went off the deep end. Now hopefully the final renderings will be something like one of the previous images posted.

Here are the latest renditions for Gallery on Fulton.

This is my interpretation of the plans. The big change appears to be that UICA is now the lower 6 floors of the residential tower portion, with what appears to be 8 floors of apartments rising above UICA. There is a glass-walled corridor that runs the length of the development from UICA East to the Division end of the development, where it appears there is room for 2, possibly 3 retail spaces along Division Ave. Personally, I think that's a pretty good way to lay the building out, instead of having retail bays facing Commerce and Mezze like the last plan showed. The entrance for the parking has also been moved to the Southwest corner facing Commerce Ave, instead of facing Division (also a big improvement IMO). Apartment dwellers will enter via their own private entrance off of Commerce.

The first image is still a shot of a model. The model does not have all the fascia details on it. As you can see, the lower portion of the residential tower has changed dramatically.

2178125660_fdae6b06a6_o.jpg

2178125720_7a29f581c8_o.jpg

UICA Interiors and rooftop patio:

2177334409_03486fd2f8_o.jpg

Floor plans (the top is Fulton, right is Division, left is Commerce)

2178125974_20732ba31a_o.jpg

2178126104_01a4c1ff36_o.jpg

2177334839_6091f73874_o.jpg

Floor plans 4 - 6 to come...

Good to know the sky isn't falling as so many predicted. ;)

Joe

Personally, I'm not a fan at all of Built Form Architecture's styling, but I guess that's just a matter of taste. I think logistically the new setup makes a lot of sense, and there's nothing inherently bad about the design. It would have been nice to see more height and mass as the Division end, but I guess that's the way it goes (it's still as tall as the old city centre ramp was).

They still have a lot of ground to cover in a short period of time. They go before the parking commission this Thursday for approval of the ramp portion. If anyone wants the parking commission agenda with larger readable images, shoot me a PM.

2177402701_f1d4cd9737_o.jpg

2178194472_e009155386_o.jpg

2178194660_0898081508_o.jpg

*Special thanks to Jim Harger :thumbsup:

Judging by the street-view renderings and what appears to be a hallway/ramp going from east to west, it appears the entrance to UICA will still be at the corner of Division and Fulton? If so, that's excellent for UICA, Division, and the retail.

(I knew I'd be posting the large format plans :P )

Here are the 1st and 2nd floor plans in full size. There will actually be entrances off of Commerce and off of Division. Because the site slopes so much from East to West, the 2nd floor is actually on Division, the first on Commerce. So if you enter UICA from Division, it appears that you'll follow the corridor, which ramps up to the second floor of UICA and ramps down to the first floor of UICA (2 separate ramps):

2177438329_66edf40dba_o.jpg

2178229032_ea42a1226f_o.jpg

Did you happen to go to the Lunch & Learn and see the fantastic model? The Fitzgerald is going to be an amazing transformation once finished and a real jewel in downtown living...

I didn't go, no. But I am very familiar with the project. The original plan looked very nice, too.

Do you know anyone that has bought one? I don't.

The same thing. Unfinished.

Are you just down on SSP Schoon, or on the economy in general?

I think everyone gets a little cynical about the progress of development in the city and our area at different times, me included. But I don't think people realize just how BAD Michigan's economy is right now. If you know at least one person who lives on the East side of the state, it is very clear where things are heading. The number of jobs being lost in Michigan isn't getting better, it's actually getting worse and accelerating. It's somewhat scary.

The mere fact that there are projects to talk about, and successes to celebrate, and even visions to dream about, speaks volume about what great places Grand Rapids and West Michigan are. I can't even fathom how much of a boom we'd have right now if Michigan's economy was better (even steady), the Detroit Big 3 were having good years and there wasn't a mortgage crisis going on with the national scene. If you go to the 2008 predictions thread, you'll see that (despite some doomsdayers), 2008 is going to be the biggest year for construction downtown since, since I can remember. Maybe not as many pie-in-the-sky announcements, but a lot more Grand Openings, which are what we need.

If you're just down on this project and SSP, I somewhat share your sentiments. I thought this parcel should have gone back on the market when the second or third extension was granted. But now that it looks like they are as close as they can get to inking the deal, I'm throwing my support behind it.

Sailor, based on a closeup of the floorplans, it appears to be a standard Black Box Theater (apparently there's a standard :)) . It appears to span up two floors, with 152 seats just on the main floor and an open corridor for a balcony for artists' space:

2177616045_1c429921a2_o.jpg

Third extention will be needed

"City Parking Services Director Pam Ritsema said today she will ask city commissioners for a third extension of the deadline to complete the sale of a vacant lot at Fulton Street and Division Avenue."

"Developer Sam Cummings, who first won approval to buy the vacant lot in May 2005, remained upbeat as he updated city officials on the steps he needs to complete."

"UICA officials have not signed the final agreements, but Cummings said he is confident the non-profit group will succeed in raising the money. "I'm encouraged by their reports," he said."

"First Ward Commissioner James Jendrasiak said he wanted to know where Cummings would find tenants for his "luxury" apartments.

Cummings said marketing studies indicate there's a demand for rental housing in the downtown market. He said the apartments would aimed at professionals and comparable to those offered in Plaza Towers."

The article is on Mlive.com

Delay recommended for Fulton/Division project

Third extention will be needed

"City Parking Services Director Pam Ritsema said today she will ask city commissioners for a third extension of the deadline to complete the sale of a vacant lot at Fulton Street and Division Avenue."

"Developer Sam Cummings, who first won approval to buy the vacant lot in May 2005, remained upbeat as he updated city officials on the steps he needs to complete."

"UICA officials have not signed the final agreements, but Cummings said he is confident the non-profit group will succeed in raising the money. "I'm encouraged by their reports," he said."

"First Ward Commissioner James Jendrasiak said he wanted to know where Cummings would find tenants for his "luxury" apartments.

Cummings said marketing studies indicate there's a demand for rental housing in the downtown market. He said the apartments would aimed at professionals and comparable to those offered in Plaza Towers."

The article is on Mlive.com

Delay recommended for Fulton/Division project

I had heard they probably wouldn't make the Jan. 31st closing. This extension is just for 60 days.

The extension is being asked for by Pam Ritesma, not the developer, correct? If so, it isn't really the 'third' extension request and shouldn't be treated as such...

It might be a mere technicality as to who is asking. :) All I know is this project is on the Parking Commission's, the DDA's and the City Commission's agendas for this month. And, after (if) the Brownfield Amendment gets passed at the February hearing, it still has to be approved at the state level. It's being amended because the costs have changed on the project.