Gallery on Fulton

civitas

The guys we represented, Todd Radashaw et al, went on to buy the land at 240 Ionia and try their hand down there with about the same level of success (we were not involved in that one). Interestingly, when we put toghter the program for Fulton & Division we did not think the land was worth more than $1.2MM. When the City accepted RSC & Sam's plan at $2.0MM we were unsure of how those numbers could work and clearly they didn't.

Hopefully, the delay in closing (which essentially gave them 2 years of free carry) the price cut, the parking purchase subsidy, the brownfield and the DDA goodies will make it pan out. At this point, I don't think any of the other 4 players (Radashaw, Wheeler, Tol, Azzar) would step back in. So this may be the city's last best hope for that project for a while.

If things don't work out soon, my guess is that the City will probably just have to do a surface lot for a few years and see what happens next.

DJL

If the project goes south, couldn't the city turn the vacant land into a temporary pocket park. At least something like that would have more positive impact on quality of life during the mean time than an ugly surface lot.

The guys we represented, Todd Radashaw et al, went on to buy the land at 240 Ionia and try their hand down there with about the same level of success (we were not involved in that one). Interestingly, when we put toghter the program for Fulton & Division we did not think the land was worth more than $1.2MM. When the City accepted RSC & Sam's plan at $2.0MM we were unsure of how those numbers could work and clearly they didn't.

Hopefully, the delay in closing (which essentially gave them 2 years of free carry) the price cut, the parking purchase subsidy, the brownfield and the DDA goodies will make it pan out. At this point, I don't think any of the other 4 players (Radashaw, Wheeler, Tol, Azzar) would step back in. So this may be the city's last best hope for that project for a while.

If things don't work out soon, my guess is that the City will probably just have to do a surface lot for a few years and see what happens next.

DJL

Interesting perspective DJL. I think you're right that even if another player had been awarded this project, they would be facing the same challenges. Even though Rockford said they could start "immediately", we all know that if a project is seeking tax incentives or other reimbursements it takes a long time to reach "immediately".

I also got word back from the developer that final renderings are being put together right now to present to the HPC. We'll have to wait a little while longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Cummings-UICA project moves forward

Posted by Jim Harger {sodEmoji.|} The Grand Rapids Press January 29, 2008 12:01PM

Categories: Breaking News

GRAND RAPIDS -- Developer Sam Cummings cleared two major hurdles this morning in his quest to build the Gallery on Fulton, a $34 million entertainment, housing and parking project planned for the southwest corner of Fulton Street and Division Avenue.

More at the Press

I can't believe we may actually see this thing a go! And this Spring.

These were the last two "critical" pieces of the puzzle, right? Anything that could still cause the project to be dropped at this stage?

I think they still need an amended Brownfield Tax Credit from the State. But since the cost has gone up so much, I don't see that being a big deal. They have 60 days to close, and since they now have a signed agreement with UICA to actually "buy" the space, and an agreement with the city to "buy" the parking ramp portion, I'd say it looks pretty good.

Here's the new render:

2229824046_b7cb238d71_o.jpg

Fire away peeps. Hey, is that Parklex?? For those wondering why the Chia Pet look, here ya go:

New link for the article

Several of the buildings sides will be covered by evergreen plantings aimed at qualifying the project for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification. The plantings also will serve to mask the parking ramp, Cummings said.

Before he closes on the deal, the design must meet the approval of the city's Historic Preservation Commission (HPC), which governs building design in the Heartside Historic District.

Despite the project's contemporary design, Cummings said he is optimistic the HPC will embrace the project. "The history of Grand Rapids and West Michigan are in cutting edge design," he said.

Just build it! :thumbsup:

Here's the new render:

2229824046_b7cb238d71_o.jpg

Fire away peeps. Hey, is that Parklex?? For those wondering why the Chia Pet look, here ya go:

New link for the article

Several of the buildings sides will be covered by evergreen plantings aimed at qualifying the project for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification. The plantings also will serve to mask the parking ramp, Cummings said.

Before he closes on the deal, the design must meet the approval of the city's Historic Preservation Commission (HPC), which governs building design in the Heartside Historic District.

Despite the project's contemporary design, Cummings said he is optimistic the HPC will embrace the project. "The history of Grand Rapids and West Michigan are in cutting edge design," he said.

Just build it! :thumbsup:

I like it. Can it be done by March? :)

Does the Heartside historic commission have a history of stonewalling projects like this?

That's an incredibly modern looking building for a traditional historic district.

Don't misunderstand me...I'm in favor of it as-is. I'm just wondering what/how the historic preservers will view it.

The green wall product that I'm familiar with is called green screen

I proposed to use it on my studio project this past semester...

1662720522_8451867f9f.jpg2123625163_cd497742e5.jpg

When I was doing some preliminary design work for the project at Commerce & Weston, my "wild card" proposal was to have green screen covering a large portion of one of the buildings with openings for windows. I'd show it, but I don't have a digital version of it at my disposal. The idea must've stuck with Sam a little.

Additionally, Integrated Architecture is using greeen screen on their new tower in Ann Arbor...

070521_Building_condos_crop.jpg

What happens to the greenery during the winter months?

In Ann Arbor, it doesn't seem to suffer any impairment. The ivy-covered buildings in which I attended classes (during the Rose Bowl-only era) are still ivy-covered.

This stuff reminds me of the gardener's recipe to get mossy-lined stepping stones very quickly. Something like: mix up some moss, yogurt, and water; brush the mixture onto the desired area.

By the way...regarding UICA and their 2 screens...

Has anyone heard if they will increase the number of movie times?

How many seats per theater?

I assume they will not change their independent movie format...

168 seats in the film theater, and 152 seats in the black box theatre.