Gallery on Fulton

civitas

2593751619_0ed2e137f8_b.jpg

Wowzers, no offense to Eridony and his picture taking skills, but that is one of the most unflattering photos of downtown GR that I've seen since all the new development took off. The JA building, et al look awful in this pic. In fact, out of context and as a stand-alone photo, if you showed this to someone and said here is a prime downtown Grand Rapids location they'd think our town was nothing more than a worn down warehouse district. Enough dinking around, let's get this sucker developed and juice up that area asap.

:tough:

Wowzers, no offense to Eridony and his picture taking skills, but that is one of the most unflattering photos of downtown GR that I've seen since all the new development took off. The JA building, et al look awful in this pic. In fact, out of context and as a stand-alone photo, if you showed this to someone and said here is a prime downtown Grand Rapids location they'd think our town was nothing more than a worn down warehouse district. Enough dinking around, let's get this sucker developed and juice up that area asap.

:tough:

I'm not offended, I know I have no picture taking skills.

Woody - I thought maybe it was soil testing at first but even though I don't have much knowledge of construction I thought soil testing involved drilling small holes that cover the entire site. It just looks strange how two holes were dug and it seems like they only worked one day. Has anyone been by today to see if anything is going on now?

Woody - I thought maybe it was soil testing at first but even though I don't have much knowledge of construction I thought soil testing involved drilling small holes that cover the entire site. It just looks strange how two holes were dug and it seems like they only worked one day. Has anyone been by today to see if anything is going on now?

Maybe they really were looking for Hoffa. I mean, who would guess his body'd be in Grand Rapids. It's the perfect hiding spot! :P

Went by it at lunch. It looks like they may be digging up some remains of the old parking garage (?) There are what appear to be old pieces of rebar sticking out of the bottom of the one hole. Can't see at all into the other one.

The signs on the fences are from Triangle Associates (GC) to stay out.

Sorry, perhaps I should clarify. My comments were directed at the conditions of the subjects of the photo, not the quality of the photo itself. The photo itself is well done, keep them coming.

No need to say sorry. I honestly wasn't offended, I knew you weren't talking about the quality of the photo but the consitions of the buildings in it. I also know I'm not the best photographer but that if I wanted to take a pretty photo of the site I would have chosen a different angle. I have to remind myself that my sarcastic personality doesn't work well in text form. :)

GRDad - So they are still doing work then? I saw the keep out signs but didn't think anything of them because those types of signs are always at construction sites.

Triangle's website states that construction is planned to begin in the Fall of 2008. If that's the case, the design drawings or construction documents are already completed and the soils report done a long time ago. It was just a guess- a wrong one at that.

Anyway, who's the architect?

Built Form Architecture, Chicago.

I'd agree MAU. The city probably said "Oh, by the way, there are footings to an old building buried under there that we never removed when the old City Centre ramp was built, that should probably come out" :P

I'd agree MAU. The city probably said "Oh, by the way, there are footings to an old building buried under there that we never removed when the old City Centre ramp was built, that should probably come out" :P
Well before the parking ramp was on that corner there was the Cody Hotel built in 1886 by Darwin D. Cody, cousin of Buffalo Bill Cody of wild west show fame. According to Z.Z. Lydens' The Story of Grand Rapids, Buffalo Bill was a frequent visitor. Maybe old Buffalo Bill buried something down there.

http://www.grapids.lib.mi.us/photocoll?cat...k&keynum=73

Edited by walker

Went by it at lunch. It looks like they may be digging up some remains of the old parking garage (?) There are what appear to be old pieces of rebar sticking out of the bottom of the one hole. Can't see at all into the other one.

Sounds like a little exploratory digging. Pay item could be "Exploratory trenching". I've used it occasionally when I wanted a better indication of subsurface conditions than several (or many) 4 inch holes / samples could give me.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, that looks great! my perspective on this project has totally changed.

2647842953_c4e86679c7_o.jpg

link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoman311/2647842953/

I fixed the scale so that the people in the rendering are actually bigger than the newspaper bin and the building goes further down Commerce like it really will. It's even more impressive. Also added the unedited version.

Edited by fotoman311

I've been wanting to superimpose this image onto this shot since I took it on my parking garage tour last Thursday afternoon. Finally got around to it tonight.

2647320741_e6fab5c086_o.jpg

Pretty sure that's been rotated incorrectly. In all previous editions and renderings, the UICA section has been at the subject corner (touching Division). This effort depicts it as being at Commerce.

In other words, take a real photo from the existing Civil War guy, then plop the magazine cover image atop that.

Edited by Veloise

Pretty sure that's been rotated incorrectly. In all previous editions and renderings, the UICA section has been at the subject corner (touching Division). This effort depicts it as being at Oakes.

In other words, take a real photo from the existing Civil War guy, then plop the magazine cover image atop that.

I think you are remembering incorrectly. All the renderings I have seen clearly show the tower at the west end on Commerce (not Oakes, which runs behind the arena) based on the buildings around it and the orientation of the hill. ( http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=926888 , http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=916474 )

Plus, in the rendering on the front of GRMag they had to make the GRPD headquarters transparent in order to show part of the parking garage.

^bump

All the previous editions had the UICA facade at Division, with the tower at Commerce. (Looks like I discovered a typo in the very first Bike GR, which is what I had available late last night.)

...The residential tower is at the Commerce/Fulton corner next to Mezze Cafe. The lower portion and UICA is at the Fulton/Division corner. ...

Looking South as if from the police station:

fultondivision.jpg

Looking West as if from the JA building:

fultondivision2.jpg

Other versions of the design:

481807734_094d6ab93f_o.gif

481808786_4f1415c044_o.gif

lookSW.jpg

lookSE.jpg

This design was somewhere in the middle of the process (my favorite):

2102748481_8fc4be1a07_o.jpg

Others:

20060127-PRS-Daytime_images_Page_1_300.jpg

pageImage_gallery.jpg

Edited by Veloise

^bump

All the previous editions had the UICA facade at Division, with the tower at Commerce. (Looks like I discovered a typo in the very first Bike GR, which is what I had available late last night.)

I think the UICA facade is going to be at Fulton and Division, but most of their theatre space is going to be back in the tower by Commerce, on the second floor above other retail. That would explain the sign on the window.

Someone can correct me if this is wrong.