Gallery on Fulton

civitas

I would think that Tall House is competing against Riverhouse, The Fitz and Icon on Bond. Fulton and Division has I think is going to be successful because it's an underserved area (especially in the heart of downtown). I thought 240 Ionia was dead? Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with the hotel/condo project in Heartside that seems to be dead?

Joe

240 Ionia is on the HPC agenda for next week. Twelve stories, mixed use.

I would think that Tall House is competing against Riverhouse, The Fitz and Icon on Bond. Fulton and Division has I think is going to be successful because it's an underserved area (especially in the heart of downtown). I thought 240 Ionia was dead? Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with the hotel/condo project in Heartside that seems to be dead?

Joe

Yeah, I don't even think 240 Ionia was alive enough to be dead. I think it was just an idea floated out there. They never did any marketing, no salespeople, nothing.

Tall House is having a tough go of it.

edit: oops, didn't read the other thread.

What are the chances of this project, Tall House and 240 Ionia all getting built? Those 3 projects would bring Heartside to a whole new level. I know Fulton & Division is going after a different demographic, but is there still enough demand to get the other 2 projects to their 50% reservation level?

This Division and Fulton project has switched from Condos to Apartments, so I would think there would be no problem renting them. As for 240 and Tall House, we may not see either, but I'm hopfull for at least Tall House.

Maybe a new set of renderings have yet to be unvailed as the two images GRdad posted where created a long while ago.

It wouldn't make sense that the bookstore plan was the most recent, that was the initial idea for the project. With UICA on board, that would appear to be the "most current" plan.

Went back through this thread and there was this one from June 06 (pre UICA):

20060127-PRS-Daytime_images_Page_1_300.jpg

this one

pageImage_gallery.jpg

and this one

uica.jpg

I would say the UICA one is the latest, although they have said there may be new plans since the building will be apartments and not condos, and the number of units has changed.

I'm glad that this one is the latest rendering. The UICA makes for a really eye catching entry.

and this one

uica.jpg

I would say the UICA one is the latest, although they have said there may be new plans since the building will be apartments and not condos, and the number of units has changed.

I hope this doen't mean that the project is going to be delayed.

I wouldn't think so. I think when Second Story and RSC come to the city with a commitment to close, I don't think the city will say no. Or at least they better not, just because the parking lot (if it gets built) hasn't been paid for yet.

Talk about a BIG waste of money. Unless they think SSP and RSC are bluffing about the start date, why would they do this? It seems SO ridiculous to me.

Business Journal is reporting that the parking commission is going ahead with plans for a temporary parking lot. They need to go before the Historic Preservation Commission, and then the Planning Commission.

Business Journal Street Talk

Talk about a BIG waste of money. Unless they think SSP and RSC are bluffing about the start date, why would they do this? It seems SO ridiculous to me.

IMO, it is nothing more than paying lip service to the people putting pressure on them for parking relief. Look at the list of people/organizations that the parking services says has been in contact with them in regards to this. That's who I see as really behind this.

I think we should put a sign disclaimer out there that says "this parking lot isn't permanent!" I don't want people thinking the best GR can do at the city center is a parking lot. If the point of this is just parking "relief", that seems kind of silly if the parking lot is gone in six months. Besides, how many cars can you fit in there? 50? Mow much relief would that really provide?

Maybe fliers and website information would go a long way to making people realize that it is EASY to park downtown to get to the Children's Museum. Park in the new ramp, take the tunnel to Monroe Center and walk two blocks up a nice, wide, heated sidewalk and you are there. Honestly, I'd rather walk this way with my crazy kids then across Fulton, across Division and up (probably close to the same distance).

Did I forget to mention 60 minutes free parking?

People are stupid. This includes anybody at the Parking Commission that doesn't just draw a simple map with a sharpie to show others how to use the newest ramp the city has.

I swear, our city is run by a ship of fools. Yet Kurt Kimball needs to keep sharpening his pencil to make the city budget work. I know how you could save money and you wouldn't have to do anything. ;)

Joe

IMO, it is nothing more than paying lip service to the people putting pressure on them for parking relief. Look at the list of people/organizations that the parking services says has been in contact with them in regards to this. That's who I see as really behind this.

Business Journal is reporting that the parking commission is going ahead with plans for a temporary parking lot. They need to go before the Historic Preservation Commission, and then the Planning Commission....

Well, lessee...HPC will take a month. PC will take a month. Either body could table discussion until the next meeting, or for "fact-finding." And Pam can walk v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y between counters at 1120 to delay the filing.

This presumes that the City doesn't want to delay Sam by stating, "hey, look at our investment in asphalt, you can't start your permanent construction until we recover our costs."

My prediction: the city will go through the approval process for a temporary lot but will not build it right away. If Second Story closes on the property by the end of July, the lot will never get built. But if they ask for an extension again, or it falls through completely, there will be a lot there within two weeks.

(I have no info to back any of this up, just a prediction!)

PS - Woohoo, post #200!!!

Edited by highwayguy