Gallery on Fulton

civitas

I still don't understand why the parking commission would want that anyway. Unless all our city-owned ramps are full, the money coming into the new lot would likely be at the expense of the existing lots. It would really only make economic sense if there were untapped demand for more parking. Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter now as they've decided against it anyway.

• 1 month later...

Here are two recent images of what is being proposed at this corner.

The project will be before the historic preservation commission tonight for an advisory opinion.

Fulton Side

fultondivision.jpg

Division Side

fultondivision2.jpg

Facades have combinations of brick, metal panel rain screens, curtainwalls, and perforated metal panels.

I like the majority of it, but what is this three story blank wall above the first floor? Is that to match the police station wall across the street? (matching murals?) I guarantee that will not look good when it's finished. Why are projects downtown starting to look more and more like a wedding cake plopped on a big fat marble table? (Think 5/3's downtown building sitting on the stone tablet along Lyon). Why can't they flow from the ground to the roof (like 240 Ionia)?

481464439_8e60b923af_o.jpg

I like the majority of it, but what is this three story blank wall above the first floor? Is that to match the police station wall across the street? (matching murals?) I guarantee that will not look good when it's finished. Why are projects downtown starting to look more and more like a wedding cake plopped on a big fat marble table? (Think 5/3's downtown building sitting on the stone tablet along Lyon). Why can't they flow from the ground to the roof (like 240 Ionia)?

481464439_8e60b923af_o.jpg

Blank walls usually say: parking behind here.

Yeah PRCH, I figured it was the parking levels with the project having 200 or so parking spaces included with it. However, I have seen plenty of projects with parking on the mid-floors nicely adorned with glass (tinted a bit more as to not reveal the inner workings). If the metal panels are on the Commerce side as well, that corner will look horrible from the pedestrian's point of view. The images on the architect's website look a bit better: http://builtformarchitecture.com/builtform.html

Voila! Welcome to the city! I won't be at the meeting, so anyone is welcome to pass this around if they want.

481488768_ad6789ff93_o.jpg

Looking at the website, I think the canopy (?) structures will break up the monotony of that huge wall. Plus, it looks like signage would go on top of that, so it may give an interesting amount of depth.

No pics of the Commerce side, so we'll have to see on that. I love the greenery on top!

Joe

GRDad posted it up above. Here are a couple of shots. I like the complexity of the UICA sign:

There are a couple more views on the site. I think its an exciting project. I think if Sam Cummings is involved, it'll probably be aesthetically pleasing.

Joe

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the ones posted by GRTP are the ones being presented for approval, not the images on the website (especially since it's just the architect's website). The latest plans don't show any of that decorative work at the Northwest corner ("CTC"?), probably dropped for "value engineering" reasons. The plans posted above show the 3 stories of metal panels as forty-something feet off the ground, which is about as tall as the police station and the building that houses San Chez. Let's hope the HPC catches this before it passes through. I really like this project on this corner and I just want it to be DONE CORRECTLY. Fulton is a heavily traveled pedestrian thoroughfare, and bound to get heavier. Do they get a pleasing environment that will help take attention off of the ugly police station, or will they feel like they're passing through the bottom of the Panama Canal?

373583252_e90106531c.jpg

Shots of the detailed scale model brought to HPC last night:

view from CW dude park, looking at UICA

lookSW.jpg

lookN.jpg

view from GRPD underground parking entrance

lookSE.jpg

view from GRPD

Jeff, the blank-looking wall is detailed with block-brick lines. At the meeting they explained that this would be wood-grained panels (much nicer-looking than the 1960s basement paneling everyone's thinking!).

lookS.jpg

HPC gave them rave reviews for picking up details, materials, and colors presently used by the three different adjacent districts.

[scooping Jim Hartger]

Edited by Veloise