Gallery on Fulton

civitas

Wait, by this "fwoop" you folks mean chamfer?

Wikipedia: "A chamfer is a beveled edge connecting two surfaces. If the surfaces are at right angles, the chamfer will typically be symmetrical at 45 degrees."

Yep, guess so. "Fwoop" is my phoenetic spelling of the technical term used by the HPC chair the other night.

For anyone who was at the HPC meeting or is involved with this, how much square footage of retail is there on the NW corner (facing Fulton and Commerce)? Any idea how many retail bays they are looking at? Anyone want to give some more ideas for retailers? Last night we pondered the possibility of a Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts combo at this site, to serve arena patrons, children's museum patrons, etc.. There are two of these in the area that are locally owned franchises, one on 28th in Kentwood and one on Chicago Dr in Grandville. Maybe?

Last night we pondered the possibility of a Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts combo at this site, to serve arena patrons, children's museum patrons, etc..

Riiiiiight... For the arena, and children's museum patrons, not at all for the police officers across the street :lol:

Although I would support this plan, and endorse it 100%! (Although make it a Krispy Kreme, and you've got my 110% vote)

Riiiiiight... For the arena, and children's museum patrons, not at all for the police officers across the street :lol:

Although I would support this plan, and endorse it 100%! (Although make it a Krispy Kreme, and you've got my 110% vote)

Veloise mentioned that too. We thought the DD/BR combo would give a one-two knockout punch (ice cream AND doughnuts), vs. Krispy Kremes (which I'm guessing that corporation won't last more than a couple more years: article).

Plus offices downtown that are hosting morning meetings might find it more convenient (starrfish's idea). :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Empty downtown lot could have tenant -- the UICA

I think this is more of a rehash of old news then of anything new, but it does address the July 31st deadline in which I hope is stuck this time around. Hopefully with the UICA, the project can finally move forward. I do like the idea of them being apartments. Its a great location.

I too am a little confused on what this project is going to be now. It started off as being condos and mix use. Then it became apartments. Now from what I understand its now going to be some mutation of a hotel and apartments. GR dad you seem to be most keen on this. Can you enlighten the state of confusion for us?

Edited by tamias6

• 1 month later...

Another request for delay. Construction would be pushed from January 2008 to January 2009. More information from Chris Knape's Corner on Mlive.com

"Terms of the extension call for the developers to front another $15,000 in earnest money. Construction, which was to have begun by January 2008, would not need to begin until January 2009."

Complete story here:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/knapescorner/

^Another Delay. Eh? The only thing that's now keeping me from dismissing this proposal as a bunch of smoke and mirrors is the UICA. That organization operates mostly on donations. So its annual budget would naturally be on par with a shoestring. Therefore they maybe reluctant spend any money to get on board the developer's bandwagon. Anyway I hope something does happen to the site real soon.

Since The New York Times has been so hot on GR lately, maybe their real estate section ought to do a story on this prime piece of undeveloped land just sitting there in the heart of this city.

Donald Trump reads the Times real estate section, right?

Agreed. Let's send it back and if RSC/SSP wants to rebid, more power to them. But if somebody has a good plan with financing in place, we shouldn't wait around.

The whole plan seems a little unstable to me.

Is it Condos? Apartments? Maybe a Hotel?

Who's your tenant? A non-profit organization with some budget issues?

I don't think I'd be too interested. SSP is still one of my favorite developers but I think the city should say no to the extension.

Joe

I say put the lot back on the market and start over again.

Agreed. Let's send it back and if RSC/SSP wants to rebid, more power to them. But if somebody has a good plan with financing in place, we shouldn't wait around.

The whole plan seems a little unstable to me.

Is it Condos? Apartments? Maybe a Hotel?

Who's your tenant? A non-profit organization with some budget issues?

I don't think I'd be too interested. SSP is still one of my favorite developers but I think the city should say no to the extension.

Joe

Let me see if I have this straight. RSC/SSP is waiting on UICA which is waiting on its benefactors to come through with donations and there may be a hotel or it might be condos or maybe apartments or perhaps a combination of some or all of the above. Sounds like a house of cards to me. I don't want to oversimplify the obviously complicated process of urban development, but a whole host of my dear old grandmother's aphorisms come to mind...

fish or cut bait

crap or get off the pot

put up or shut up

pull the trigger

etc.

They had their shot, it didn't work out. Better luck next time. Thanks for playing. Time to give someone else a chance. If I recall, there were one or two other developers who also bid on this property. :dontknow:

If I recall, there were one or two other developers who also bid on this property. :dontknow:

Yes, but one of them wanted to build a parking ramp. Another wanted to use it to stage construction equipment for his JA Building project. And another wanted to include a pharmacy with a drive thru window. Overall, the other choices were not exactly what one would look for in good urban design.

Some (or maybe all) of the people involved in 240 Ionia submitted the pretty large building proposal.

Rockford Construction wanted the Walgreen's with a drive thru. I didn't like the suburban designed Walgreen's but they said they would have started construction immediately.

Does anyone have the rendering of the building that original UP forum members designed? It was very large, but a very cool classic design. The whole thought was to inspire the city to think big. I guess we failed in that attempt ;)

Joe

I thought there was a developer, part of the final 3, that had a fairly large building proposed for the site.

Azzar was the one that wanted the parking ramp. It never got past the laugh stage.