Gallery on Fulton

civitas

City commissioners high-fived over the $15k netted, knowing that it would help budget woes for at least the next fifteen seconds. Sixteen seconds later, the city's budget returned to normal. In a unanimous decision, they decided to put the city up on eBay with a reserve of $150,000. One city commissioner was quoted as saying "Now *that* is long-term, out of box thinking!". ;)

If that is the case and they did get their extension approved, then that conversation is done. Now they need to make sure that they get this thing done and that it will be a gem that was worth the wait.

Make this a "cornerstone" of the revitalization DT.

Edited by Yankee Fan

Correct me if I am wrong, but was there a previous extension?

I think this is the second extension. Originally closing was to be this past January 2007. The first six month extension was given to the end of June time frame. Now a second six month extension was given bring the closing to January 2008.

City commissioners high-fived over the $15k netted, knowing that it would help budget woes for at least the next fifteen seconds. Sixteen seconds later, the city's budget returned to normal. In a unanimous decision, they decided to put the city up on eBay with a reserve of $150,000. One city commissioner was quoted as saying "Now *that* is long-term, out of box thinking!". ;)

In addition to the $15,000 they should have been required to pay the estimated revenue the city would have earned until Jan. 2008 if they had thrown a temporary parking lot on that corner.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The DDA is set to discuss the status of this project at this week's meeting. It sounds like it is definitively 66 apartments now.

This image of the project is part of the packet, but I'm not sure if this is the original design or a new and improved design. I actually like this a lot better than the most recent plans we've seen. The Commerce end of the project (across from San Chez/Mezze) is nice looking! And the residential tower doesn't have that "wedding cake" look.

2102748481_8fc4be1a07_o.jpg

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...e31f9b0ea8c.pdf

Wow! I like all the glass on the Fulton side. This building would be unique for the area, yet fit in nicely with the exisisting buildings. Downtown needs more apartments as opposed to condos. It would be cooler if it was taller, but I still like it. Is the UICA still on board with this project? Will there be retail as well?

Edited by Floyd Z

I think a gameworks would be sick in that part of the city, i mean right by VA?? it'd be perfect. I also think some major stores might want to put some sort of location there. maybe a downtown macy's or younkers... i dont think the idea of downtown department stores is dead, as shown by chicago, new york, and other bustling city centers. i also could see the aforementioned Urban Outfitters and an American Apparel store going up in there. The people living downtown right now are between 19 and 25 i'd say, with all of the kids living by Pew campus and going to GVSU, not tomention with the med school going up, the market's only getting better for these "younger, hipper" stores. A lot of possibilities make sense for that part of town. The only thing is the city needs to clean up South division, but the new developments down there seem to be improving the street's image. Before we get development there, we have to find reasonable businesses for that area, and I think those types of places would love to be put there with all of the new res. developments.

We've been treated to oodles of pretty designs for this corner...

20060127-PRS-Daytime_images_Page_1_300.jpg

pageImage_gallery.jpg

uica.jpg

fultondivision.jpg

lookSW.jpg

2102748481_8fc4be1a07_o.jpg

The design has remained fairly consistent, but no momentum seems to develop with any of the proposals. What's holding all of these up? Trouble finding a lead retail tenant with adequate funding? No demand for the residential portion?

If this key corner of downtown is still a prairie in the summer of 2008, I'm staging the Grand Rapids All Star Wiffle Ball Bash there.

I was going to put home plate at the NE corner, right on Fulton and Division. Then right handers could aim for that big wall, with the Coca-Cola ad. Sort of a Grand Rapids scale version of Fenway.

And once they get around to building it, maybe we could stage an annual game on that green roof.

Edited by Avocado

We can use the All Star event to raise money for UICA's move! Call it "Throwing balls for Gallery at Fulton." I can imagine the power hitters getting a ball right into the cop shop -- watch us all scatter. I'm in!

I think this is a terrible place for UICA... That being said anything is better than nothing

These all sound like a horrible design for that key piece of land.

I agree totally. As all here know, I will ALWAYS be down with a project like UP-GR's PWCD Metro Center concept or that other tremendous concept that platformed over Division (connecting the JA/Grand Rapids Herald site with the City Centre Ramp site) and brought skywalk access to the Heartside/Avenue of the Arts districts. The Division/Fulton intersection is screaming for world-class icon structures - not the "oh, well, this was the best we could come up with" ones like those being considered currently. :sick:

Edited by metrogrkid