Gallery on Fulton

civitas

I kind of like it. Actual ground-level retail is a good thing. It's still hard to get an idea what's going on with the lower portion, but the tower looks decent. Nothing special, but I think it looks nice. Perhaps comparable to Icon on Bond, which I also don't think is fugly except for the blank walls facing the street. This building certainly isn't going to be a Grand Rapids icon, but it should be a nice addition. Though couldn't they reverse the building so the tall part is on the corner of Division and Fulton?

-nb

They could at least change the colours.. that alone will make it more pleasing to the eye. The retail portion I don't have too much beef with, I have a good feeling that the rendering isn't doing it justice.

About height.. yeah it could be higher, but then again just about anything could always use a little more height. Considering all the residential spaces going in over the next 10 years and the questions regarding a surplus of supply, I think that the current height is ideal.

I never saw any of the other proposals, however, so I really can't compare this to those.

My only beef really is with the colours of the condo area, and I think it could use at least one more windowed area per floor where those 3 white squares in a row are.

My only beef really is with the colours of the condo area, and I think it could use at least one more windowed area per floor where those 3 white squares in a row are.

My innitial interpretation of the rendering is that those white areas are actually windows and the brown area is a brick wall (and if I am correct, the tower is poorly rendered). It looks as if the brick wall is meant to "float" a few feet away from an essentially glass tower so as to have a play between traditionallism (the brick) and sleek modernism.

The way I visuallize it, I don't think it will look a bit like Icon, especially if we were to have a view of the tower straight on from the north.

But seeing as how the white on the squares matches the white of the balconies... I'm afraid it may just be "whiteness" like the white tiles against the red brick of the marriott back when it was first built.

We should probably wait for a better rendering. I agree with most of the concerns that have been noted, but I know Sam and his heart for great architecture and I will not be surprised to discover that we are somehow misunderstanding this little image. For instance, what if the red wasn't brick at all? What if it were a polished stone or a slick tile of some kind? It appears that the lower portion is highly detailed and contemporary. I can't imagine that the rear is any less (although it sure appears that way).

Hey Second Story, we need better images posted.

20060127-PRS-Daytime_images_Page_1_300.jpg