Gallery on Fulton

civitas

My understanding is that UICA will inhabit the entire length of Fulton from Commerce to Division with the main entrance to UICA will be off of Division. The main theater will be dead center of the Fulton facade with smaller theater and student support spaces being on the Fulton and Commerce corner. The main entrance to the housing will be off of commerce as will be the parking entrance. The rendering that was superimposed with the picture above has the correct orientation.

My understanding is that UICA will inhabit the entire length of Fulton from Commerce to Division with the main entrance to UICA will be off of Division. The main theater will be dead center of the Fulton facade with smaller theater and student support spaces being on the Fulton and Commerce corner. The main entrance to the housing will be off of commerce as will be the parking entrance. The rendering that was superimposed with the picture above has the correct orientation.

Will there be other retail or was that wishful thinking on my part?

According to the floor plans GRDad posted months ago, before the renderings in GR magazine were published, the only thing that will run the entire length from Division to Commerce is a hallway. The main Gallery will be in the Commerce level (level 1) under the tower. It looks like there will be a sign and entrance for UICA on the corner of Division and Fulton, but most of the Division side will be taken up by the two retail bays. This will probably be the main UICA entrance, but there are other doors leading right into the main gallery from Commerce as well.

The floorplans can be viewed here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Gallery-...html&st=340 (scroll down to the bottom 3 posts)

And higher res versions of the first two levels are here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=915293

I believe these are the final plans that were approved by the Planning Dept. and the HPC, correct? They match up with the rendering that I used from GR magazine, and the other versions of that rendering which were posted in April, about 3-4 pages back in this thread.

Edited by fotoman311

Fotoman is definitely correct. Sorry Veloise, you're incorrect on this one.

I think where you're getting confused is where the sign appears (which signs can move pretty much anywhere). But definitely the tower portion only fronts Commerce and Fulton. It's not anywhere near Division.

Nice photoshop Fotoman!

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm about the last person that shoud be making this post seeing as I am much more of an "reader/watcher" on UP than a "poster" but I was so excited to see construction equipment at the site today during my run I couldn't help but write something. Looks like maybe a crane some steel beams? I would sugest that one of you "professionals" check it out and confirm that something is actually happening just to make sure I'm not getting excited over nothing! HAHA

So I'm about the last person that shoud be making this post seeing as I am much more of an "reader/watcher" on UP than a "poster" but I was so excited to see construction equipment at the site today during my run I couldn't help but write something. Looks like maybe a crane some steel beams? I would sugest that one of you "professionals" check it out and confirm that something is actually happening just to make sure I'm not getting excited over nothing! HAHA

They're taking core samples most likely with these drills:

2696546796_96ffdf14e2_b.jpg

As for the crane, I'm not sure if this is construction commencement or not. The latest articles said "this fall".

2696548168_e366307988_b.jpg

Might be for future pile-driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I notised many large girders on the site, but they appeared to be old and used. I wondered if they were perhaps from the old foundation, but could not see any holes where they may have been pulled from.

Here are some recent photos from early last week. I saw someone welding on those girders on my way home from work one day. I imagine they are preparing them for use in the site somehow. You can see the truck doing the soil samples in the second and third photos.

2721739061_29f2533f04_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoman311/2721739061/

2721738285_64e26d879f_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoman311/27...in/photostream/

2722561372_1368721a5a_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoman311/27...in/photostream/

Here are some recent photos from early last week. I saw someone welding on those girders on my way home from work one day. I imagine they are preparing them for use in the site somehow. You can see the truck doing the soil samples in the second and third photos.

They may be getting ready to pile drive them to create a retaining wall, for pouring the new foundations.

They may be getting ready to pile drive them to create a retaining wall, for pouring the new foundations.

That sounds accurate. I imagine steel for that can be used and re-used several times. Not a permanent structural item, isn't supporting weight above itself. There's certainly enough of them for a retaining wall for the whole site.

That sounds accurate. I imagine steel for that can be used and re-used several times. Not a permanent structural item, isn't supporting weight above itself. There's certainly enough of them for a retaining wall for the whole site.

They appear to be old bridge beams. I can't imagine what they would be used for except for temporary braces / shoring. The usual final destination for used girders is Padnos.

While walking back from the GRCC gym today, I was waiting to cross Fulton at Sheldon. I looked toward Fulton and Division and what did I see? A nice new, fairly large construction sign (I'm not sure of the correct term for it) with a great rendering of the project in full color. "Opening Fall of '09", I believe it said. I walked down that corner to relish in the thought that it looks like full steam ahead. There was alot of activity on the site too. Lots of soil being dug up. Now that I'm back in GR for good, I'm looking forward to this, MSU, and HDVCH going up. :good:

... A nice new, fairly large construction sign (I'm not sure of the correct term for it) with a great rendering of the project in full color. "Opening Fall of '09", I believe it said. I walked down that corner to relish in the thought that it looks like full steam ahead. There was alot of activity on the site too. Lots of soil being dug up. Now that I'm back in GR for good, I'm looking forward to this, MSU, and HDVCH going up. :good:

UP Forum Rule #1: teasers are OK, but photos are better!

I saw the "coming soon" sign as well...no camera on me.

I saw the signs too. No camera either. :dontknow:

It does look great to finally see some activity here.

I'm on it. I'll try and get one tomorrow on my way to work. The person at the traffic engineering dept. who screwed up the light cycles on Fulton (traffic doesn't run nearly as smoothly as it used to in either direction most of the times I'm through) made it so that I usually get stopped in a place to get a shot. Otherwise I may just hop up on the sidewalk. :)

I'm on it. I'll try and get one tomorrow on my way to work. The person at the traffic engineering dept. who screwed up the light cycles on Fulton (traffic doesn't run nearly as smoothly as it used to in either direction most of the times I'm through) made it so that I usually get stopped in a place to get a shot. Otherwise I may just hop up on the sidewalk. :)

Exactly, I used to be able to blast down Fulton from the library to the railroad tracks on my bike...now there's two or three stops. Oh, the pain of it all...