Gallery on Fulton

civitas

I'm on it. I'll try and get one tomorrow on my way to work. The person at the traffic engineering dept. who screwed up the light cycles on Fulton (traffic doesn't run nearly as smoothly as it used to in either direction most of the times I'm through) made it so that I usually get stopped in a place to get a shot. Otherwise I may just hop up on the sidewalk. :)

I got it fotoman. :tough: Boy, they mean business! And FYI all the steel girders are gone from the site.

2739595044_ccc2dc7aa6_b.jpg

2739596074_65210f86ea_b.jpg

Thanks for the photos, anyone here anything about the official "ground breaking?"

That's strange, maybe metal scrappers drug them away in the middle of the night? :D

Now that you say that, I did see a guy pushing one around in a shopping cart.

According to RapidGrowth:

The UICA plans a ceremonial groundbreaking on September 17, 2008

But I've seen construction start prior to formal ground-breakings before.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting ready for the big ground-breaking ceremony next week:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmen...s/uica0911.aspx

"On Wednesday, September 17 the long-awaited groundbreaking for Gallery on Fulton is expected to draw up to 600 people as the Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts officially launches construction of the $34 million gateway to Grand Rapids

Edited by Veloise

"On Wednesday, September 17 the long-awaited groundbreaking for Gallery on Fulton is expected to draw up to 600 people as the Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts officially launches construction of the $34 million gateway to Grand Rapids’ arts and entertainment districts.

Stilted Servers, 10-foot-tall stilt walkers from Chicago’s Redmoon Theater, will scatter rose petals as guests enter the site at 2 W. Fulton St. The event is open to the public and features music, cupcakes and guest speakers, including Mayor George Heartwell and spokespersons from the UICA, CWD Real Estate Investments, the Downtown Development Authority and Triangle Associates..."

The piece does not list a time for the event. Is it 2 am or 2 pm or high noon or 5:30 or 8 pm, or what?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Apparently it's at 4:00 (PM):

http://www.uica.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=p...&pageid=579

My wife is actively involved with the UICA, the Women's Resource Center, and on the board of two non-profits, and she is voting for McCain/Palin. So there is one person who will be there today who will also be attending the McCain/Palin town hall meeting.

Personally, I am still making up my mind...

Bringing up politics will help keep this thread right on track... :P

Hopefully someone is at the groundbreaking and gives us a good report on the UICA and only the UICA...it's very exciting to see this starting! I just hope the retail gets filled up at some point. There's also retail bays at the 38 Commerce project, too, right?

Congrats to all involved on making this work - should be a great addition to the area and gateway to Division!

Why is it almost presumed that UICA members/supporters/activists are not likely to also attend the McCain/Palin rally - in fact are assumed to want to actively demonstrate against the GOP?

The assumption would be yours. I was establishing proximity.

The rally at the GRF Fieldhouse is sold out. Plenty of space at the park kitty-corner from the subject property. (See, we're back on topic!)

Why is it almost presumed that UICA members/supporters/activists are not likely to also attend the McCain/Palin rally - in fact are assumed to want to actively demonstrate against the GOP?

Since the ground breaking was set up long before the McPalin rally i'd think the two have nothing to do with each other.

The assumption would be yours. I was establishing proximity.

The rally at the GRF Fieldhouse is sold out. Plenty of space at the park kitty-corner from the subject property. (See, we're back on topic!)

Thanks for your clarification. Politics aside, I concur that this phenomenal project will be a showpiece structure at our own "ground zero". Cummings & Co. are to be commended for their persistence in obtaining the necessary financing in this market.

If by "park kitty-corner from the subject property" you mean Crescent Park, it's completely fenced off. Moreover, the police kicked me off the sidewalk adjacent to it at 6PM because they were closing that entire street to ALL traffic. No idea if the fencing around the park was specially for today's event or if it will remain fenced off with the VAI construction.

But anyhow, I was at the ground-breaking ceremony. I wouldn't say it was anything absolutely spectacular, but it certainly was relieving to finally see the ground broken.

If by "park kitty-corner from the subject property" you mean Crescent Park...

Four corners at Fulton & Division. One contains a park. I mean, a real park (not an empty lot with grass growing on it), with flowers, trees, benches. There's a fountain and a Civil War statue, and Azzar's retirement fund building, and a nail salon and a tax business. And the Children's Museum.

THAT park.

• 4 weeks later...

i havnt stopped, but everytime i look in, i see no changes.. doesnt mean i havnt missed something, just means i myself havnt seen anything.

so, veloise, i assume this IS underway?

Lessee...they were doing soil samples in September. This is Michigan, the ground will freeze in a few weeks. They've gotten their funding. Time = money. I would think that they are busy excavating and drilling and analyzing and getting ready to pour concrete. (But I'm an urban planner, not a construction manager.)

Anyone close enough to take a look behind the curtain? I am stuck out here: 42.912663, -85.543367

Lessee...they were doing soil samples in September. This is Michigan, the ground will freeze in a few weeks. They've gotten their funding. Time = money. I would think that they are busy excavating and drilling and analyzing and getting ready to pour concrete. (But I'm an urban planner, not a construction manager.)

Anyone close enough to take a look behind the curtain? I am stuck out here: 42.912663, -85.543367

No, none of that is going on. It's just the same grass-filled field from the ground-breaking.

I don't fully understand bonding, financing and construction lending on commercial/public projects like this, but I have to imagine there is a slow down in moving all that paperwork through the pipeline right now with the credit markets. And this project has a lot of moving parts to it (city, developer, multiple lenders, investors, etc.)