Gallery on Fulton

civitas

Anyone realize they had a construction cam?

http://gallery.trian...view/view.shtml

They also continue to post photos to their Facebook page. Here's the 8th floor: http://www.facebook....69737510&ref=mf

5 more to go.

Until I was down on Fulton, just west of the river, I didn't realize just how big of an impact this building would have on the view in that area when those last 5 (or possibly 6 when this photo was taken) stories are added.

4068762301_86c126607d_b.jpg

IMG_4391

Edited by fotoman311

Tower crane fans, you might want to take a look today. Fulton was closed beginning Friday night (might be still), and the crew used that space to assemble a crane. I got to enjoy the progress on three passes through yesterday.

(There's no such thing as a road closed to bicyclists.)

I went by and I didn't see a tower crane. There's a pretty monstrous mobile crane on site though!

I may be a bit off, but did they seriously alter the way the Division-facing part of the building was supposed to look? I could have sworn that there was supposed to be some sort of mini plaza of some sort. From my glimpse of it today, it looks to be right at the sidewalk.

Drove by with a friend this afternoon and thought the same thing. I may be way off base but it looks like the parking ramp takes up pretty much all of the space at the corner of Fulton/Division - someone please tell me I'm wrong .

I walked by today and took a close look and I am confident enough to say that you are wrong, jwazzz. The corner of Division and Fulton will be the entrance for the UICA with a hallway next to the sidewalk going along Fulton to the back portion of the building that will lead to the upper floors. I could see that the parking turns before the front section, so the parking ramp at street level will not go to the sidewalk area along Division. It was looking like they may have an entrance and/or exit for the parking ramp on Division where the old parking ramp had one but I can see that is not the case. Along the sidewalks on Fulton and Division will be street level store front and hallway area.

~John

John pretty much said what I was going to say. If I remember right, there might have been two retail spaces along the Division frontage.

I don't think there was ever a plaza in this design. Some of the earlier versions of this project (the one with the ground floor bookstore and the first, more angular version with the UICA) did have plazas right at the corner. But the final design, the outdoor space was replaced by a long gallery hallway leading around the retail bays.

The retail bays sure aren't very big though. At what looks like 900 and 1000 square feet respectively, I could see some business leasing both.

edit: Okay, I went back and looked; the retail bays are actually 1200 and 1300 square feet, but that still doesn't really change what I said.

Edited by andrew69@ltu

• 4 weeks later...

John, where have you been? The Gallery's Facebook page says that the roof is going to poured on Monday meaning that all of the concrete forms for the roof are there and that the building should look pretty much topped off right now. Facebook also states that the true topping out will be Monday, Dec. 14th with the completion of the elevator/stair penthouse.

Sorry Andy, I now keep some photos private as I haven't been receiving credit, appreciation or compensation from developers and/or other people. I am one that doesn't allow people to continue to take advantage of me. The sad truth is that people don't care enough about me and/or my photos to show some appreciation. And with these developers even credit.

So yeah, the place I have been is not allowing people to take advantage of me. Understanding people's heart can be difficult to handle at times.

Best Always,

~John

So you took your toys and went home, eh? May I ask, what is the proper amount of "John, great pics!" comments you need to feel loved?

If you don't want to post them, don't. But don't continually post about how your not going to post them if you don't get any love.

Thanks, The Management.

Sorry Andy, I now keep some photos private as I haven't been receiving credit, appreciation or compensation from developers and/or other people. I am one that doesn't allow people to continue to take advantage of me. The sad truth is that people don't care enough about me and/or my photos to show some appreciation. And with these developers even credit.

So yeah, the place I have been is not allowing people to take advantage of me. Understanding people's heart can be difficult to handle at times.

Best Always,

~John

So you took your toys and went home, eh? May I ask, what is the proper amount of "John, great pics!" comments you need to feel loved?

If you don't want to post them, don't. But don't continually post about how your not going to post them if you don't get any love.

Thanks, The Management.

As a photographer with a lot of photos out there on the web, I can understand John's feelings to some extent. It takes a lot of time to put the photos up and share them with others.

However, John, the way you have made your case, you sound a little childish. People on this board enjoy seeing your photos. I know that I have, and I sometimes say so. But, were you really posting your photos "expecting" people to be thankful and everyone to respond in kind?

That is my point too fotoman. I try to say "wow, great shots!" as much as possible, but you can't do that for every post or it just ruins the thread. John, we love your photos, but we can't all send "thank you" posts every time a photo is posted. Everybody shares good ideas, good intel and nice photos. This is a community. Share and share alike.

Joe

As a photographer with a lot of photos out there on the web, I can understand John's feelings to some extent. It takes a lot of time to put the photos up and share them with others.

However, John, the way you have made your case, you sound a little childish. People on this board enjoy seeing your photos. I know that I have, and I sometimes say so. But, were you really posting your photos "expecting" people to be thankful and everyone to respond in kind?

I agree with John and with you guys. I don't like when people use my photos without asking and without giving me credit. That might be what is happening, as I've seen John's photos all over facebook.

But I also have long stopped looking for positive responses to my posts. You'll drive yourself crazy looking for that kind of validation in an online setting.

I agree with John and with you guys. I don't like when people use my photos without asking and without giving me credit. That might be what is happening, as I've seen John's photos all over facebook.

But I also have long stopped looking for positive responses to my posts. You'll drive yourself crazy looking for that kind of validation in an online setting.

GRDad, this is what I was trying to express. Not 10 minutes ago I saw a photo posted on Facebook that Amy took from the bicycle race on Sunday with no credit given. :/

But JohnE, when you say "The sad truth is that people don't care enough about me and/or my photos to show some appreciation," it sounds like you are accusing everyone of taking advantage of you, and not expressing appreciation for the photos you have shared here. That is simply not true.

I think some people are just ignorant, but anyone involved in the development community should really know better. They have a higher level of responsibility to know about copyright issues than the average Joe Schmo on Facebook.

I'm guessing there is more to John's story about his photos than what has been revealed here in UP, but I don't really know.

Can't believe how tall this sucker is getting. It's especially impressive as you drive Southeast on Lyon near Ionia.

I can't believe how fast the last few stories went up. It is now a prominent fixture in GR's skyline. The perspective this building has of downtown is quite unique. Has it topped off yet? I'll get a few pictures up tomorrow, just don't want my lens to get frozen before I can get a picture off. Edited by crinzema