Gallery on Fulton

civitas

Thanks for that correction concerning Jacobson's - you beat me to the punch. Jacobson's was indeed on the corner of Fulton and Sheldon and it was the downtown Ganto's store that was combined with Herpolsheimer's to create the City Centre Mall.

SMACK!! of course Gantos. This is what bankruptcy will do to you: you lose all the markers. Up the street (now home of WMCAT) was Jacobson's Home Furnishings. but it left right when I got to town. mid 70s or so.

SMACK!! of course Gantos. This is what bankruptcy will do to you: you lose all the markers. Up the street (now home of WMCAT) was Jacobson's Home Furnishings. but it left right when I got to town. mid 70s or so.

Actually, the downtown Jacobson's was (at least in it's final years) devoted to high end women's clothing and accessories. The Gaslight Village location was a full fledged Jacobson's department store with men's, women's and children's apparel as well as home furnishings.

• 3 months later...

Not to get off topic but, seeing Two Fountain Place in your first pic made me remember my long held fantasy of seeing them build a Meijer in there.

The views from Gallery on Fulton's apartments are about as awesome as you would expect, maybe moreso.

• 8 months later...

It was an awesome experience to witness!

Just good vibes all around, and people having a good time. Not even a single honk of frustration from the drivers on Division!

I took part in some of it, and got some pictures. The "cart people" going back and forth across Division were pretty much using the walk signals.

• 1 year later...

Not surprised one bit if this is what is going on. The UICA simply isnt an institution that could justify ever being in such a space with as little money it generates. 

Great location, perhaps too great for it.

Interestingly, buried deep in this thread were discussions of UICA's financial troubles back before the move with links to articles... that are no longer there (on Mlive). Would be interesting to get a glimpse at the situation back then. More than a few are saying they never should have made the move.

Interestingly, buried deep in this thread were discussions of UICA's financial troubles back before the move with links to articles... that are no longer there (on Mlive). Would be interesting to get a glimpse at the situation back then. More than a few are saying they never should have made the move.

If the rumors prove true and UICA is no longer able to occupy the space, I wonder if the Children's Museum could be successful in an expanded space.  They could certainly do some cool things with some of the open display and mezzanine areas upstairs where the black box theater was planned (where the mechanical bird exhibit was for ArtPrize).  Plus, how cool would it be to build an outdoor playground on the big patio, so kids could look out over downtown while they were playing.

• Like 2

I worried this might be the case.  I suppose it's not confirmed yet, but that definitely seems to be the probable result.

I wonder if they'll be closing up completely or just scaling back immensely, perhaps operating out of a former residential building like some other place I've forgotten the name of.

I worried this might be the case.  I suppose it's not confirmed yet, but that definitely seems to be the probable result.

I wonder if they'll be closing up completely or just scaling back immensely, perhaps operating out of a former residential building like some other place I've forgotten the name of.

It used to be called Race Street Gallery apparently (before my time here), before it was in the small bank building at Monroe Center amphitheater, apparently. It is an entity with 501c3 status and a long history and some successful programs, so it seems like if they can work out the financial difficulties, they can keep it going. An institution shouldn't be defined by the walls that contain it.

If the rumors prove true and UICA is no longer able to occupy the space, I wonder if the Children's Museum could be successful in an expanded space.  They could certainly do some cool things with some of the open display and mezzanine areas upstairs where the black box theater was planned (where the mechanical bird exhibit was for ArtPrize).  Plus, how cool would it be to build an outdoor playground on the big patio, so kids could look out over downtown while they were playing.

HANDS - ON - SCIENCE - MUSEUM. Wouldn't that be awesome? Apparently Nancy Mulnix (the one who brought Calder to GR) proposed a science center for Mackey's World when it closed (I found out today).

It sounds like a major donor (big local family) has pulled funding because of the situation (or for other reasons, who really knows), which might be a bad thing or might be a good thing..

I'd love to see Celebration Cinema move into the space (if indeed it does get vacated). I always wondered how/why they swung that deal. They cut hours and staff in their old building but moved into a bigger, more costly space. I'd hate to see UICA go away- still seems like it was a bad business decision.

Joe

• 5 months later...