Gallery on Fulton

civitas

I heard that the chances of UICA being able to find the funds to move are slim to none.

I think this is accurate. They are just on the upswing from their last captial campaign putting the other building together. It may be a little tough to convince their donors to start handing out again.

It would be a disappointment for Division and Fulton to go back to stage 1. That would mean a prime piece of land would sit idle for at least another year or two. What would be cool though is the building on the south east corner of the intersection be ripped out and the intersection of Division and Fulton be turned into a grand European style round about with some kind of monument and gardens in the center. That would really mark the center of the city.

You are talking about the JA building correct?

the reason the HPC is putting a big fight for it is because I think its one of the few Art Deco buildings left in the city.

One of the proposals was to use the fulton site as a type of building site to build the Parkview Condos by Rob Tol, which at the time was 14 stories I think. But that project got smaller and smaller and then... poof.

But for the JA site to get developed along with Fulton/Division would really add some density. IF they ever get built.

• 1 month later...

Update on Fulton & Division

His blog entry says that UICA is close to a deal on selling their current location.

Chris also mentions in his 3rd entry today what I've heard, that there's a hotel operator looking at building another hotel downtown. 16 story all suite would be nice addition. But at this point, until there's a shovel in the ground, it's pure speculation.

I didn't know that Hinman was also kicking around the idea of a hotel at their lot on 10 Ionia.

I've had my eyes on this property since it was announced. I love its location and am personally bummed that they will be going condo. Although, as said above, this building being apartments, will really be good for the city. Plus, if they can lock up the UICA as a tenant, then I think we could actually see some real plans here by there Jan 31 deadline.

• 2 weeks later...

Oyyy!

Delay sought for apartment, retail complex

Should this extension be granted? Is UICA the right tenant for this crucial corner? Keep in mind that RSC/Second Story Properties partnership was chosen in May 2005 (1 1/2 years ago) to develop this property, and won a competition against two other developers who had an interest in redeveloping this site.

It seems like after 1 1/2 years, they at least need to put some money on the table to make it hurt a little more if they can't come up with something in siz months.

Since there were 2 other offers on the table, not just a weed filled lot with a for sale sign (wait, isn't that what it is now?), the city should not just accept the status quo. I still hope the project goes through, but come on. 2 years is a long time to wait when Rockford (my least favorite proposal) said they could have started immediately.

Joe

While it's seems far too convenient to blame it on "having to be patient with UICA"... it does seem a bit ridiculous that they're just now figuring out that they need to switch from condos to apts.

Still I do agree that the UICA on that corner would be pretty cool, I'm always surpirsed by how many people haven't a clue how to get to the current sheldon location (you mean there's a street between division and jefferson??!! duh, there's two even.) And can see how working with UICA would be a bit time consuming ;)

Edited by dragt

I do not see any reason why they should not get the extension. This is an important corner, and as such, making sure that it doesn't go off half-cocked is a priority. Deals like this take a long time to come together and frankly Second Story has earned the benefit of the doubt on this one. We are not talking about Tol or Molk here.

Oyyy!

Delay sought for apartment, retail complex

Should this extension be granted? Is UICA the right tenant for this crucial corner? Keep in mind that RSC/Second Story Properties partnership was chosen in May 2005 (1 1/2 years ago) to develop this property, and won a competition against two other developers who had an interest in redeveloping this site.

No extensions PERIOD.

These guys had plenty of time to pull this off and two years latter we have an empty lot with zilch activity.

A request was put out to serious developers to bid on this site, not people that would need extensions into the next decade.

Offer it to either of the other two developers. Stop wasting time with these guys.

I think (know) a lot of us who voice our opinions are not developers and honestly have no clue how long it takes to pull something like this together. Comments like 'they've had PLENTY of time' should only be coming from seasoned developers and real estate professionals. Sure, you can say 'this sucks' or 'man this is taking forever,' but to ridicule SSP for taking their time and suggest starting over from scratch is ridiculous.

Just my opinion.

Yah, that's find and dandy when you're on your own time schedule. What about the schedule of the city? If you're not up for the job don't ask for it. I agree though I don't know a thing about development, but I would give SSP an extension just because they appear to be a stakeholder in downtown. I just think this appears to be down because of UICA. It's going to be a while.

Edited by Rizzo