Political Campaign Signs

gs3

Minor rant here.

I'm not sure what the laws are governing political campaign signs, maybe somebody can post. I'd like to know. I know this is campaign time for new elections, but the signs on the sides of the roadways are out of control! These signs are simply litter! I've seen new highs achieved in the placement of these signs.....last night saw one hanging over the railing on a bridge and this morning saw one covering a road sign off Pleasantburg (not attached to the post below the road sign, but actually COVERING the road sign).

What are the laws on the usage of these???

How refreshing it would be to see a candidate on TV announce that for his campaign, no roadside signs would be used, that he believes in a green earth and will not contribute more garbage to landfills! Wouldn't that be refreshing? Think we will ever see such a candidate?

End of rant.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Candidates currently campaigning to save money are not setting wise examples. The process is very expensive - making them, mass producting them, driving around the area they are seeking office to put them up, people to pay, etc.

Another situation is how many signs are left over once the election passes. I have seen some signs last eight months afterwards. Like those illegal roadside memorials, they become roadside litter.

I'm not sure what the laws are governing political campaign signs, maybe somebody can post. I'd like to know. I know this is campaign time for new elections, but the signs on the sides of the roadways are out of control! These signs are simply litter! I've seen new highs achieved in the placement of these signs.....last night saw one hanging over the railing on a bridge and this morning saw one covering a road sign off Pleasantburg (not attached to the post below the road sign, but actually COVERING the road sign).

What are the laws on the usage of these???

Here is a link to the Greenville County Sign Ordinance if you feel like reading it. Basically, when it comes to roadside signs, all signs are banned Monday through Friday except for political candidate's signs. Businesses, Churches, Charities, etc. cannot advertise this way. Only politicians (and on the weekends, Realtors).

This ordinance is enforced each Thursday. The fine for using this method of advertisement for anyone other than a politician is $1100/violation, after the initial warning.

Political candidates must remove their signs after general elections, I know, I've volunteered to do it for a candidate before, not fun work, and some candidates, especially losing ones, just don't do the due diligence to ensure that they hit every intersection they have peppered with signs.

The candidate I volunteered for had a plan in place that started at 7 am the next morning to remove signs, which was nice.

In Richland County the GOP would pay kids 5 cent for every Democrat sign they brought to their HQ after the election) and 10 cent for every GOP sign. It seemed to work pretty well as I recall.

I would imagine Greenville city does not allow them in the public right-of-way. I know Cola doesn't.

I hate the signs also, but I think it is a commentary on citizens' voting habits. Unfortunately, many people vote for the name they have seen most often, without ever taking the time to research where candidates stand on the issues. What's worse is that many people don't even know where they themselves stand on the issues! Ideally, people would not base their votes on who has the most signs or who they see on television the most. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, and we will probably continue to see campaign signs.

I am totally in agreement that they are litter, and wish all campaign signs would be banned. I wonder what kind of impact that would have on voting patterns and election results? :lol:

I hate the signs also, but I think it is a commentary on citizens' voting habits. Unfortunately, many people vote for the name they have seen most often, without ever taking the time to research where candidates stand on the issues. What's worse is that many people don't even know where they themselves stand on the issues! Ideally, people would not base their votes on who has the most signs or who they see on television the most. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, and we will probably continue to see campaign signs.

I am totally in agreement that they are litter, and wish all campaign signs would be banned. I wonder what kind of impact that would have on voting patterns and election results? :lol:

Excellent, excellent points!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would imagine Greenville city does not allow them in the public right-of-way. I know Cola doesn't.

Surprisingly enough, the county of Greenville is much tougher signs than the city. I know, because I can put up signs in the city. After getting my first fine in the county, I won't risk it anymore. It just not worth the cost.

I do find it rather frustrating that political signs are exempt from the ordinances pertaining to commercial signs, but until someone sues for freedom of speech or discrimintation of some sort, I think it will remain like this.

I am more sick of the "Andre" and "Bauer" signs. Although I did see one vacant corner a few days ago.

Ah, but at least someone was kind enough to put Andre's face on the side of I-385 going South out of town, just in case anybody wanted to use it for target practice. :rolleyes:

Ah, but at least someone was kind enough to put Andre's face on the side of I-385 going South out of town, just in case anybody wanted to use it for target practice. :rolleyes:

Not sure why Andre even has the signs....doesn't he think motorist will be "speeding" past them??? Maybe they are just for people that "walk to work". ;)

Archived