Grand Landing - Grand Haven

GR2010

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

www.grandlanding.com

Check it out! :yahoo:

This is going in Grand Haven and has the potential to be a great addition to West Michigan.

holy crap!

I was in GH a couple weeks ago and I can't believe how much new stuff there is between downtown and Spring Lake. It does seem like things have been busy there.

Interesting. Here's a few from Commerce Realty's web site.

GL-Render-1.gif

GL-Render-2.gif

It doesn't look as nice in plan view. Parking, parking, parking....

2_GL-Site-Plan.gif

Unfortunately for boaters, you can't get to this area in anything but a canoe.

It is on a channel that is south of the Grand River and is limited by the low highway bridge to the east and the low railroad bridge to the west.

163066575_e47a9adfab_o.jpg

Railroad bridge

163066579_38e26dc6f2_o.jpg

Highway bridge (in background)

163066577_a6a79cfb9c_o.jpg

Civitas,

You're correct about the boats. We take our "dinghy" through that channel all the time. It's tough to navigat even it that small of a craft.

The pictures clearly show larger boats though. You don't suppose they have plans to somehow do something with the three bridges? The 3rd street bridge that connect to Harbor Island was just re-opened to cars recently, the tracks are still uses, and the US31 is obviously still used.

It would be very cool if boaters could tie-up and enjoy the restaurants, etc but it would really stink if the waterfront wasn't usable to boaters.

Civitas,

You're correct about the boats. We take our "dinghy" through that channel all the time. It's tough to navigat even it that small of a craft.

The pictures clearly show larger boats though. You don't suppose they have plans to somehow do something with the three bridges? The 3rd street bridge that connect to Harbor Island was just re-opened to cars recently, the tracks are still uses, and the US31 is obviously still used.

It would be very cool if boaters could tie-up and enjoy the restaurants, etc but it would really stink if the waterfront wasn't usable to boaters.

MDOT has a desire to rebuild the drawbridge some day. If and when that happens they will raise the south channel bridge too. There is no funding. You can guess when that might happen, if ever.

The railroad bridge is possibly harder to raise because of the minimal gradient that trains gain climb. Unfortunately, even if it were raised the city recently rebuilt the next bridge towards Lake Michigan too low (Third Street).

The big boats look nice in the sketches, but they're not feasible.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been awhile since the request but I got some picture of the first finished building on February 9th. The weather wasn't great, but that's winter in Michigan.

Here is a shot of the whole building. The first floor is retail, the rest are condos.

2254083248_92c33ac338_b.jpg

Here is the interior where they made it feel like a main street. The retail on the front of the building is pretty full, but these interior spaces are mostly vacant.

2253282975_78dee45e21_b.jpg

Here is the rest of the site, along with the sign advertising the development.

2253285001_1ea5acafa9_b.jpg

Here is the latest on the Grand Haven hotel race. Actually looks as if something across US-31 from Grand Landing will happen first.

Muskegon Chronicle Article

Thanks for the update, Eridony. Do you (or anyone else) know how tall the hotel building is supposed to be, and when this whole project is supposed to be complete? Hopefully sometime this summer?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is your update grand raggidy:

Grand Landing seeks outside investors to finance Hilton Garden Inn Hotel

In a memorandum to the Grand Haven City Council, a Grand Landing official said a California businessman is interested in taking over the hotel development and would sell revenue bonds to pay for it. Project costs and details on how much the bonds would raise have not been released.

But Grand Landing officials say the city would not be asked to contribute to the financing.

Plans call for R. Morgan Burkett, president of Legacy Hospitality, to purchase land from Grand Landing LLC and develop the hotel. In a separate venture, Burkett is developing the Hyatt Place Hotel in Grand Rapids.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I remember to head down to Grand Haven before driving back to GR on Sunday. So here is your picture update:

I can't say I'm too impressed with these so called "Row Houses," but I'm picky so I'll let everyone else decide what they thing.

2676891473_b1308e73e5_b.jpg

Another view with a nice car in it to make up for the "Row Houses" lack of color:

2676891281_58ce1e980b_b.jpg

It's cool they have rear garages, but if this is supposed to be an alley why is it as wide as a neighborhood street?

2677707908_1a49218a72_b.jpg

The only other completed part of Grand Landing. It's the same as my earlier pictures but without the snow:

2677750132_b6a1bf920c_b.jpg

2677750064_d69989baaf_b.jpg

Does Michigan really need drive-thru candy stores?

2677750670_d815411ef0_b.jpg

Archived