Negative Boston Media

ChunkyMonkey

Is it me or is the Boston media incredibly negative. I've been constantly barraged with doom and gloom articles:

- corporate mergers are dooming boston

For example, when John Hancock was bought by Manulife, they were just focusing on how many jobs will be lost. What about the jobs they will gain by Manulife opening their North American headquarters in Boston.

When Gillette was bought by P&G. Again, how many jobs will be lost. Gillette actually announced an expansion to their plant.

- population is shrinking, everyone is leaving Boston and Massachusetts

They don't really stress that the Metro is actually growing, albeit slowly, most people are moving to the exurbs for cheaper housing like everywhere else in the country. Unfortunately in Boston's case, the exurbs are in Rhode Island and New Hampshire. So, statistics are a little skewed. The Globe even had all the profiles of a bunch of yahoos saying how happy they are in their new homes. Of course, they will say that, who wants to admit they made a huge mistake especially after less than a month after they move. Frankly, there's no balance in the reporting and it seems to be a filler because these articles appear a lot.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then maybe they should interview me. I'm moving to downtown Boston to be near my job at a company that has hired me because they are expanding.....and oh yeah, and I'm moving from "cheap" Charlotte. The pay and the respectability of the company is much greater than can be found in any southern city.

You forgot to add how everyone is going to die in massive floods everytime a cloud appears in the sky now.

You're right. There was also an article in the Boston Globe Magazine about a possibility of a huge earthquake in Boston that will liquify the landfill soil in and around Boston. :shok:

BTW, I moved up from Atlanta and have not regretted the decision one bit but nobody interviewed me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Big deal - Boston's losing its population. That happens to all the rust-belt cities. Boston still has Cambridge, and I don't think Harvard is going anywhere anytime soon. Let the media say what thy want to, Boston isn't a NY or an LA or even an SF anymore, so Boston shouldn't try and live up to those big city expectations..

Who cares what the stats are anymore? Boston loses a lot of people, like clockwork..let 'em drop like flies. When the day comes that Boston starts losing people like me (Ive League, Biotech, etc.) to SF, Seattle, etc. then you should be concerned. I think it's a good time for the locals to figure out a talent retention strategy. What should local new englander's do about trying to keep the best and brightest from Harvard/MIT and notlosing them (again) to the west coast? That should be a new thread actually..

Archived