Atkinson Tract

psycuda

This is a project by K2 that is being proposed on the west side of town between West Tennesee and Northwest Passage just west of the city limits. This project is going before the County for a preapplication hearing next week. The Proposal is for 1,000 homes and 200,000 square feet of office/commercial space with workforce housing and a series of trail networks within the community. Let the speculation begin.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bite. :)

First since I'm gonna be lazy and not use Mapquest, is Northwest Passage (which I've always thought was a cool name for a street) the street that runs adjacent to Home Depot and the new Wendy's? Or is it further down towards Tharpe?

Anyway, I'm a big fan of K2 and anything they build I tend to like. I also like the concept of homes and office together w/a series of trails running through the community. My only negative or concern would be that K2 always charges a "pretty penny" for their work and that area there is sort of a hodge-podge of stuff. You've got light industrial, commercial and trailer parks all around. Not sure if folks will want to spend what K2 usually charges to live in the midst of that. Do you know in what price range the homes will be in? But I am glad to see quality development moving out to the far west-side.

I say good idea and hope it happens.

Wow! Thanks for the "inside info" on this new K2 project, pyscuda! That K2 group is really on fire. One concern....since they've already announced that massive "Evening Rose" project around Mahan & Capital Circle are they going to over extend themselves??? I would hate to see the quality their known for to suffer because they get too many irons in the fire at the same time.

I'll bite. :)

First since I'm gonna be lazy and not use Mapquest, is Northwest Passage (which I've always thought was a cool name for a street) the street that runs adjacent to Home Depot and the new Wendy's? Or is it further down towards Tharpe?

Anyway, I'm a big fan of K2 and anything they build I tend to like. I also like the concept of homes and office together w/a series of trails running through the community. My only negative or concern would be that K2 always charges a "pretty penny" for their work and that area there is sort of a hodge-podge of stuff. You've got light industrial, commercial and trailer parks all around. Not sure if folks will want to spend what K2 usually charges to live in the midst of that. Do you know in what price range the homes will be in? But I am glad to see quality development moving out to the far west-side.

I say good idea and hope it happens.

This is a guess, but if they are building 1,000 homes, I seriously doubt they would be anything custom. It is very likely that they could achieve economies of scale and process that would allow them to offer the type of homes they like to build at much more affordable rates.

However, I agree, that from what I know of K2's short history here, they do not have the experience to build so many homes. Dave W. is a visionary guy, but he has only been a home builder for a few years. Maybe he hired some good, experienced people to help.

Don't forget that in addition to Evening Rose, they are already planning to build 417 Park, which will not be a small undertaking. And it is completely different than their existing single-family residential construction experience.

Most likely, they are out there hiring project managers who can oversee each of these efforts (evening rose, 417, atkinson, and residential in-fill) and they provide design/concept, financing and other support for the projects.

NW Passage is across from Hartsfield at the light, and at the corner where Home Depot is.

Good points guys about K2's lack of experience and their possibly spreading themselves too thin. I forgot all about 417 Park and I pass by that project almost everyday. Anyone know what's up w/that one? I forget have they gotten all the city approvals they need for the project to start submitting permits and have they started to submit any permits?

Thanks for the location update T-man. I have to say I'm least familiar w/the streets on the far west side of town and avoid that area like the plague now that Cap. Circle is getting its much needed widening.

T-man can you see through your monitor to all of us sitting at our homes/offices in front of our computers w/your X-ray glasses? If so I better put some clothes on and comb my hair. :D

Good points guys about K2's lack of experience and their possibly spreading themselves too thin. I forgot all about 417 Park and I pass by that project almost everyday. Anyone know what's up w/that one? I forget have they gotten all the city approvals they need for the project to start submitting permits and have they started to submit any permits?

Thanks for the location update T-man. I have to say I'm least familiar w/the streets on the far west side of town and avoid that area like the plague now that Cap. Circle is getting its much needed widening.

T-man can you see through your monitor to all of us sitting at our homes/offices in front of our computers w/your X-ray glasses? If so I better put some clothes on and comb my hair. :D

good to hear, this project, but i havent seen anything come to fruitation on evening rose or 417 park, so .. :wacko:

This is out of the public meeting today. The plan is for 800-1000 homes, with a mix of apartments, townhomes, and single family homes, with a network of public parks running through the complex as part of a greenbelt through the wetland areas and a limited amount of retail/office along Tennessee. The key thing that K2 mentioned was to stress an effort at"workforce housing" or housing in the $150-200K range. Blueprint spoke about working with K2 to purchase the parkland for the county, since there was once a proposal for the entire site to be purchased as a county park by Blueprint.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived