Design Inspiration: Example of Great Urban Design

vtfan18

I wanted to share with everyone an incredible website I've run across. This site is a comprehensive overview and photographic tour of all urban infill and redevelopment projects in the greater Downtown Denver area. I know it doesn't specifically relate to our area but I'd like to start a topic which allows people to post interesting developments, websites, etc from other areas which may lend itself to design ideas and inspiration for our local developments. "It was conceived, designed, and produced by Ken Schroeppel, an urban planner, downtown enthusiast, and avid Denver booster who lives and works in the Mile High City."

Perhaps, if someone gets really ambitious, someone could model a similar site geared toward Hampton Roads. The website is truly amazing! It's really worth spending a few minutes to browse and check out. If you click on the "Downtown Main Map" tab at the top, you can search by specific areas. Its interactive, very similar to google maps but with lots of pics and great information about each specific development.

- The "Central Platte Valley (North)" area is really worth checking out on the map. You can scroll down and see all the projects planned and under development just in this section of town (33 to be exact). I wish Norfolk had available land to develop on a scale like this. This is true urban design!

http://www.denverinfill.com/index.htm

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Block 163, the Hyatt Hotel and Convention Center, is absolutely astounding architecturally. The lines are "sexy" (for a building at least) and its scale is both impressive, but elegant. I'd love to see a little tweaking to the Hilton plan to try to emulate some of the design concepts of this hotel!

Block 163, the Hyatt Hotel and Convention Center, is absolutely astounding architecturally. The lines are "sexy" (for a building at least) and its scale is both impressive, but elegant. I'd love to see a little tweaking to the Hilton plan to try to emulate some of the design concepts of this hotel!

That and a few others will certainly help Denver get over its boxy problem.

I too would like to see the Hilton project utilize more defined lines within its design. I guess its too soon to speculate. I'm sure the hilton design will change a few times.

This is a great website that could be used as a template for other cities... Kudos to whoever developed it.

You can thank Ken Schroeppel for the website. He's an urban planner from Denver. I agree, its a great website and thats why I wanted to share it with everyone. I was hoping some savvy web designer could design something similar for projects in our area!

Archived