Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoogit

Net neutrality dealt a blow

9 posts in this topic

"The next thing is going to be having a secretary of Internet Access (in the federal government)."

:lol:

This is a puzzling issue, I think both sides have a point but yes in the near term I think some government intervention is a good thing.

:lol:

This is a puzzling issue, I think both sides have a point but yes in the near term I think some government intervention is a good thing.

No company should have the right to block access to something when the government paid for 90% of all this "infrastructure" these telcos talk about.

http://www.google.com/help/netneutrality.html more

Ok I am confused, this is coming up for a vote simply on the pressure that big telco and cable are placing on Congress?

I do agree that "blocking" or "slowing" certain sites or groups is a terrible thing but the concept is one that is used with frequency on the internet even today. Google and Yahoo and the like are not the worst at this but they aren't pure at it either. Overall though I think Google is quite fair if you could use the term in today's internet. I can see how things can get much much worse though with your provider deciding for you what you want to see and what you dont want to see.

Again though I am wondering if there is some bigger issue behind all this or if it is simply a power grab by the big providers?

Ok I am confused, this is coming up for a vote simply on the pressure that big telco and cable are placing on Congress?

I do agree that "blocking" or "slowing" certain sites or groups is a terrible thing but the concept is one that is used with frequency on the internet even today. Google and Yahoo and the like are not the worst at this but they aren't pure at it either. Overall though I think Google is quite fair if you could use the term in today's internet. I can see how things can get much much worse though with your provider deciding for you what you want to see and what you dont want to see.

Again though I am wondering if there is some bigger issue behind all this or if it is simply a power grab by the big providers?

the big providers want to run the internet like the cable industry (charge fees for access to your network) Its a powergrab. Its an outdated way of doing business, and its counter productive.

It is a power grab. The internet threatens to make their business models obsolete. However our government tends to sell out to big business and it will be scary if this happens. Fortunately the Internet will be protected in the rest of the world where our stupid laws don't apply.

Maybe time to pick up some Verizon stock, help me pay for any future fees :P

5:19 PM Bob Reich and Steve Moore on Kudlow and Co. a very good analysis of both pro and con on this issue, for those still wondering what this all means.

Catch the reruns if you can.