2-3 Million Square Feet of office space to come in Hendersonville

thirdday2002

Here's another example of why we are not seeing office highrises springing up all over the CBD. If all of these planned buildings are built, Hendersonville could see over 3 Million square feet of Class A office space. The article from the Hendersonville Star News can be found here: http://hendersonvillestarnews.com/apps/pbc...059/1315/MTCN05

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The argument for building office space in Hendersonville, is exactly the same argument being used for doing so in Brentwood, Franklin (Cool Springs), Murfreesboro, and, yes, downtown Nashville....more jobs for the city, more retail, higher tax base, etc. The problem is also these cities are competing against each other, and all the surburban locations contribute to never ending suburban sprawl. Only the Downtown location does not. Problem is that office costs will always be higher in downtown Nashville than in the suburbs due to much lower land costs. It's a vicious circle, and I don't have a good answer. I can only hope that these suburban communities will one day realize that building huge office areas will only undermine the quality of life in their communities instead of helping it. It only lends to increased commuting distances, clogged roads, and headaches. Why do they want to repeat the very mistakes that were made throughout the entire Atlanta Metro area?

The argument for building office space in Hendersonville, is exactly the same argument being used for doing so in Brentwood, Franklin (Cool Springs), Murfreesboro, and, yes, downtown Nashville....more jobs for the city, more retail, higher tax base, etc. The problem is also these cities are competing against each other, and all the surburban locations contribute to never ending suburban sprawl. Only the Downtown location does not. Problem is that office costs will always be higher in downtown Nashville than in the suburbs due to much lower land costs. It's a vicious circle, and I don't have a good answer. I can only hope that these suburban communities will one day realize that building huge office areas will only undermine the quality of life in their communities instead of helping it. It only lends to increased commuting distances, clogged roads, and headaches. Why do they want to repeat the very mistakes that were made throughout the entire Atlanta Metro area?

Excellent observation! I grew up in Hendersonville, and while I'm excited to see the BOOM that Sumner County is beginning to experience, I'm with you that the quality of life may end up being undermined.

Archived