Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kayak1

Visiting Louisiana

4 posts in this topic

Greetings-My wife and I are going to be coming down to Houma, LA for a week in June for a wedding and was wondering what in the heck there is to do in or around Houma. I asked relatives and they really didn't give me anything. I am from Michigan and have never been to the area. Any info would be great.

Greetings-My wife and I are going to be coming down to Houma, LA for a week in June for a wedding and was wondering what in the heck there is to do in or around Houma. I asked relatives and they really didn't give me anything. I am from Michigan and have never been to the area. Any info would be great.

Great! Houma is a city of around 33,000 people and it is now nearly 200 years old. The city is very well known for its food, fishing, swamps, music, and hospitality. You'll be getting the best of both worlds in terms of culture and food. Houma is mostly a Cajun city inside of the "Cajun Country" area of Louisiana, but it is also where the Cajun and Creole cultures start to converge, so you'll be getting a great mix of the cajun and creole food, music, hospitality, and culture that south Louisiana is famous for. If you like fishing, you'll be in paradise as Houma is at the center of south Louisiana's "Sportsman's Paradise." The area is changing quite a bit now, but many of the residents still make a living as shrimpers, oystermen, crabbers, fishermen, and trappers. And old family traditions still continue. You'll hear a lot of Cajun French/English, as well as some Creole English.

I'm not sure about the nightlife of the area, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of things to do, and you're only 55-60 miles away from New Orleans, and about 70-75 miles away from Baton Rouge if you want to get out to a bigger city nightlife occasionally. You're also only about an hour away from Lafayette and many other parts of "Cajun Country," which I definately recommend exploring if you get the chance, you won't regret it.

Basically, Houma is a great city with all kinds of great history, food, music, people, and culture. It is at the center of the crossroads of two of the most interesting cultural and geograpical area's in the world. There aren't many, if any places like it anywhere else around the world. :thumbsup:

NCB, that is a fascinating description Houma sounds like lots of fun.

NCB, that is a fascinating description Houma sounds like lots of fun.

It really is a cool place. It is one of the centerpiece's of south Louisiana's fantastic culture and history. :thumbsup: