Tennessee's Second Big Four

Justiceham

Tennessee's Second Big Four  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these cities has the potential of becoming a major metropolitan area

• Clarksville
    • Murfreesboro
    • Jackson
    • Johnson City

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah..I have to arrive on campus about 30 minutes prior in order to make it on time..Terrible.

I walk to class. I have to walk up some big hills, but it's not too bad (I only live about 6 blocks from campus)...better than trying to find parking that's STILL a mile away from class.

I walk to class. I have to walk up some big hills, but it's not too bad (I only live about 6 blocks from campus)...better than trying to find parking that's STILL a mile away from class.

Atleast the land is flat, UT's campus is murder. Many students feel that there are simply not enough (good) parking spaces available. I agree with this, in MTSU's long range plan that black sea of a parking lot on the east side of campus is supposed to be filled up with new buildings. One of the reasons why the parking department says that they did not put up parking garages was because they wanted to keep MTSU a Green campus, meaning the gravel spaces filter out automobile deposits instead of releasing them directly into the water system.

One of the reasons why the parking department says that they did not put up parking garages was because they wanted to keep MTSU a Green campus, meaning the gravel spaces filter out automobile deposits instead of releasing them directly into the water system.

Sounds like an excuse to not spend the money to build needed parking structures. ADS makes a product called Storm Pure Systems which are designed for impervious surfaces such as parking lots and garages with a hydrocarbon retention rate of 80%+ (oil's, floatables, and other suspended solids)

I have to walk to class too. I eat alot but managed to be in shape. I am supposed to be over-weight but the walks to class help. :P

I heard about UT's hill and all I have to say is good luck. I would probably fall out. :sick:

Sounds like an excuse to not spend the money to build needed parking structures. ADS makes a product called Storm Pure Systems which are designed for impervious surfaces such as parking lots and garages with a hydrocarbon retention rate of 80%+ (oil's, floatables, and other suspended solids)

A well environmentally appealing excuse. Parking garages save space in my opinion, and every other major university has them anyway, so I'm wondering what's the hold up?

How did we get on campuses? I think there's no way we will ever see a Murfeesboro MSA. Well, never say never, but it's not likely any time soon. Smyrna and La Vergne aren't the only roadblock; All the people who live outside of Murfreesboro in the county are not going to want to pay the higher property taxes.

If I recall, Nashville annexed the county becuase people were moving away from the city. With Rutherford county, their growth is due to new people relocating to the area. It's not the same.

I think the Clarksville area is finally catching on to growth towards Nashville. I have been here for 15 years, and the whole time, growth has been situated towards Ft. Campbell. We even have our own separate MSA now (Clarksville/Ft. Campbell, Hopkinsville, KY). But the Sango area, near Exit 11 on I-24, is beginning to develop. It's more of a wealthier area. Word is that they have been working on ordinances for development in that area for a few years, which is why nothing ha really been built as of yet. So, they are looking to control the look similar to Cool Springs. And if this events center/arena gets built, it is rumored that Exit 11 will be the location. So, I see potential there.

And Austin Peay is experiencing a growth like MTSU did over the last decade. This fall, they will more than likely be at 10,000 students. And that is helping spur a large boom of development in Clarksville's downtown area. Hopefully that will lead to an improved Riverside Drive next.

But, as someone mentioned before, the problem is the area in between Clarksville and Nashville. Pleasantview and Joelton are small country areas. And the OHB exit has never developed with anything substantial.

I think the Clarksville area is finally catching on to growth towards Nashville. I have been here for 15 years, and the whole time, growth has been situated towards Ft. Campbell. We even have our own separate MSA now (Clarksville/Ft. Campbell, Hopkinsville, KY). But the Sango area, near Exit 11 on I-24, is beginning to develop. It's more of a wealthier area. Word is that they have been working on ordinances for development in that area for a few years, which is why nothing ha really been built as of yet. So, they are looking to control the look similar to Cool Springs. And if this events center/arena gets built, it is rumored that Exit 11 will be the location. So, I see potential there.

And Austin Peay is experiencing a growth like MTSU did over the last decade. This fall, they will more than likely be at 10,000 students. And that is helping spur a large boom of development in Clarksville's downtown area. Hopefully that will lead to an improved Riverside Drive next.

But, as someone mentioned before, the problem is the area in between Clarksville and Nashville. Pleasantview and Joelton are small country areas. And the OHB exit has never developed with anything substantial.

Hello Miami1855,

I agree with you concerning the Sango area and Exit 11. Last time I was in Clarksville, I noticed several new commercial developments as well as housing developments in the area. I wouldn't call it "explosive growth" at this point but it certainly looks as if it is headed in that direction. I also think the Nissan dealership's move from St. Bethlehem to a new location in Sango is significant insofar as future trends might be concerned. I mean, why would a business leave bustling St. Bethlehem for Sango unless that business was seeing an upward trend in the future? Yet, I also think St Bethlehem will see yet another explosion of development if and when the new Hospital is built and a new I-24 Exit is added.

It is true that Austin Peay's enrollment continues to increase dramatically and it is also true that there seems to be some development associated with that growth (new off campus apartments and 42 million dollars worth of downtown construction with more in the works). I think one thing which is significantly different concerning Austin Peay today as compared to yesteryear is that a very large percentage of the students are no longer what may be termed "traditional." Many students today are in their 30's, 40's and 50's and, hence, are commuter students. Driving around campus, I don't really see that many students hanging around. Uhm, don't know if this is a healthy thing or not.

I saw one plan for the Riverwalk's future develpment to include a link with Austin Peay's campus. I'm not sure where that link would be though. I wish Austin Peay would go ahead and try to aquire all the land from Drane Street to the corner of College and North 2nd. Austin Peay really has little land of its own left to develope.

Glad you posted, Miami1855. I think Tennessee's 5th largest city is vastly unrepresented, overlooked, and underestimated. The growth there since when I last lived there is really nothing short of phenomenal and it still continues. I recently had a High School reunion in Clarksville and the ones who moved away and have not been there in many years were utterly astounded at how much Clarksville had changed. So much so, in fact, that some expressed not being able to find their way around any longer.

Thanks, Fallingwater. I frequent the development forums, but this one seemed to focus just as much on communities like Clarksville so I figured I would post my thoughts.

They are working on the new master Plan for Austin Peay for 2006-2010. The intentions on the last master plan were to extend campus to the corner of 2nd/College St and all along Kraft Street. I have heard that they are working to purchase Lincoln Homes (federal housing) from the government and will annex that into campus.

As far as any other growth, we are shackled by the ever-present car dealerships. So, it's tough.

Thanks, Fallingwater. I frequent the development forums, but this one seemed to focus just as much on communities like Clarksville so I figured I would post my thoughts.

They are working on the new master Plan for Austin Peay for 2006-2010. The intentions on the last master plan were to extend campus to the corner of 2nd/College St and all along Kraft Street. I have heard that they are working to purchase Lincoln Homes (federal housing) from the government and will annex that into campus.

As far as any other growth, we are shackled by the ever-present car dealerships. So, it's tough.

Come to think of it, I had heard that Austin Peay was thinking about the possible purchase of Lincoln Homes. I also think there are at least some spaces and empty lots along Legion Street. I also think it would be neat to extend the campus down University Avenue integrating new structures with some of the existing old commerical businesses. Of course, if Lincoln Homes is purchased and that space is the direction the campus is headed then those other areas might not be needed.

Can you tell me if they have begun work on the extension of 101st Airborne Division Pkwy across Dover road and over the Cumberland river?

Can you tell me if they have begun work on the extension of 101st Airborne Division Pkwy across Dover road and over the Cumberland river?

I haven't been that way in a few months. I do know that their focus now is widening 101st out to Wilma Rudolph Blvd. Also, they are turning the intersection of 101st and Wilma Rudolph into an on-ramp/off-ramp exit to 101st, bypassing the red light, This is similar to the intersection of 101st and Ft. Campbell Blvd, and should alleviate some of the traffic there.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting news about Clarksville^. By the way, what's this Sango area and what's slated for it?

Sango is an area southeast of Clarksville, around exit 11. It is definitely one of Clarksille's most wealthy housing areas. There is plenty of residential growth and no industry. However, it has been heavily "ordinanced" and retail development has been slow to come in so far b/c of this (we have a couple of nice restaurants, some fast-food places, the dreaded Walmart, some new car dealerships and Starbucks). But, we are hoping that the proposed events center/arena will be built here and it will spur more retail growth in and around the interstate.

Sango is an area southeast of Clarksville, around exit 11. It is definitely one of Clarksille's most wealthy housing areas. There is plenty of residential growth and no industry. However, it has been heavily "ordinanced" and retail development has been slow to come in so far b/c of this (we have a couple of nice restaurants, some fast-food places, the dreaded Walmart, some new car dealerships and Starbucks). But, we are hoping that the proposed events center/arena will be built here and it will spur more retail growth in and around the interstate.

I just had a eureka moment! Miami1855, I did not see any connection prior to today but I do believe, based upon your moniker, that we also post to another board but I am known there as Stringmusic.

• 1 year later...

By the next census, it's very likely that Franklin, TN will pass Johnson City in population and it's quite possible that it will pass Jackson as well. Here's the 2000 Census and 2006 Census estimates for each city.

City...............2000 Census....2006 Estimate

Jackson..........59,643............62,711

Johnson City...55,469............59,866

Franklin..........41,842............55,870

Franklin is home to numerous Corporate Headquarters and soon will be home to one of the biggest and most important in Tennessee, Nissan. It boasts the largest shopping area in the state, Cool Springs, and is home to many wealthy citizens.

I think Franklin should be added to the list and the list called "Tennessee's Second Big Five." It wouldn't surprise me at all if one day Franklin leads all these second tier cities in importance.

Franklin is home to numerous Corporate Headquarters and soon will be home to one of the biggest and most important in Tennessee, Nissan. It boasts the largest shopping area in the state, Cool Springs, and is home to many wealthy citizens.

I think Franklin should be added to the list and the list called "Tennessee's Second Big Five." It wouldn't surprise me at all if one day Franklin leads all these second tier cities in importance.

• 1 month later...

I voted Murfreesboro b/c the county is already past the 200K mark in population, plus it seems to have a lot more growth momentum than Clarksville does. The tri-cities are on the decline in my opinion. Jackson is too isolated to compete with Murfreesboro, IMO, although I am impressed with Jackson's recent growth. It just seems like Murfreesboro's location in the Nashville MSA gives it an advantage like better air-transport options, plus MTSU is a big advantage. Plus Murfreesboro is way ahead of Franklin in terms of population.

Archived