Air Conditioning

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need AC too.

I have a buddy who did HVAC construction from highschool through college before getting into the sales end w/ his HVAC degree. He can do it really cheap, but sometimes side jobs take a while, so I'm looking for any recomendations and hopefully some ballparks on what people paid...

A friend of mine got it last year for about 1200. I have no idea if thats still accurate. Plus it was in Detroit, so I dont know if theres a difference

I believe they changed some standards on what coolant they use this year, like recently, which added a cost. You can still get the older versions but the coolant is different in those models than what they're using now and going forward.

Has anyone had A/C installed in their house this year or last? What was the cost? I'm looking to do it both for comfort and for safety, I don't like having my windows open at night.

Living here most of my life (so far!), I have found that I don't like living in A/C. I don't mind taking a break in it, and some super hot summer days I'll make an excuse to go shopping for a couple hours. ("M'am, you've been checking the comfort of that chaise lounge for an hour now." Zzzzzzz...) But I have to bring an extra shirt or light jacket along so I won't get too cold on Fred's dime.

Summer is an excuse to wear less clothing and go outside more. I recently discovered how much I enjoy ceiling fans, and I have security pins in my (double-hung wooden) windows.

HTH

Has anyone had A/C installed in their house this year or last? What was the cost? I'm looking to do it both for comfort and for safety, I don't like having my windows open at night.

Hey twoshort - I got my A/C last summer. Smallish house - but it was right around $1800, I think. I can get you more specifics if you want - don't have it here at the office. The company I used was great - installed in a day! Woot!

Living here most of my life (so far!), I have found that I don't like living in A/C. I don't mind taking a break in it, and some super hot summer days I'll make an excuse to go shopping for a couple hours. ("M'am, you've been checking the comfort of that chaise lounge for an hour now." Zzzzzzz...) But I have to bring an extra shirt or light jacket along so I won't get too cold on Fred's dime.

Summer is an excuse to wear less clothing and go outside more. I recently discovered how much I enjoy ceiling fans, and I have security pins in my (double-hung wooden) windows.

HTH

I'm totally with you on this one. I have A/C in my house but only tend to use it on the oppressively hot days. I really do enjoy the breeze as it comes in through the windows.

I also have the security features on my double-hung windows.

I'm surprised you guys got it as cheap as $1200 - $1500. It depends on if you have a somewhat newer furnace system where they can run off the heat ducts. If you have baseboard heat, add in a lot more to run A/C venting.

It drives my wife crazy, but I love having the windows open at night as far into the Summer as possible. We keep the air on around 77 degrees to save energy and money.

HTH

For me the AC air is just too "manufactured." I run the window unit if it gets to high in pollen. Even with my allergies I still like the air of summer with a good old fan in the window. Especially at night, but with the rash of roberies and wannabe gangsta kids I have to close windows at night; beotchs.

For me the AC air is just too "manufactured." I run the window unit if it gets to high in pollen. Even with my allergies I still like the air of summer with a good old fan in the window. Especially at night, but with the rash of roberies and wannabe gangsta kids I have to close windows at night; beotchs.

Last summer (super hot!!) I was in a ground-floor place. At sack time I'd open the BR windows wide and place the fan running on high. 15 minutes later, it'd be nice and cool, so I'd remove the fan and pin the window. (Not many perps can get in through a 5" slot.) Through the night I'd use a hassock fan next to the bed.

Current place has a ceiling fan, and it's delicious...gentle breeze and a white noise. Like camping in a forest (I happen to love sleeping in a tent). If I owned this unit I would look into attic fans. (Wonder if those solar-powered car window fans come in a home version??)

IMHO, A/C makes it tougher to enjoy summer. Your body adjusts to the seasons and if you live in an un-A/C space, it's easier to go outside (ride a trail, take in a concert, go for a walk).

A/C keeps your place cold even when you're not there. Open your windows wide when you're home and awake, close when you're not. Save up for heating season.

Day sleepers, YMMV.

If theres one creature comfort I wouldn't give up it would have to be A/C. It doesn't really hamper me from going out during the summer (well except maybe on the so hot you can melt to the sidewalk days) But I've always been more fond of winter then summer anyway (in the winter we keep the house at 67, and in summer we reluctantly rise it to 70 :lol:)

I just had a friend install a new furnace and A/C unit in my house. I'm sure I'd love it right now if it wasn't for the old and underpowered electrical service I have. It's bad enough that my friend wouldn't even hook up the electric for the A/C. Now I've got to deal with upgrading that. Fun stuff.

Archived