Riviera Restaurant

So I was walking home from birthday celebrations last night and I noticed the sign for the new Riviera restaurant was lit up (quite cool, btw) and I started talking to my roommate about it, and one of the employees happened to be walking by, so I started asking him questions about the place. He said they're supposed to open next Wednesday and the fare should be reasonably priced (he kept mentioning $5 escargot). He also said there will be a wine cellar downstairs and a lounge/club kind of place upstairs with the restaurant on the ground level.

Sounds like a cool place - just thought I'd pass along the info. Oh and please keep in mind that I was getting back from my birthday stuff...so umm...if some of this information is wrong I apologize :w00t:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sign has been up for a week or so, and it is another Empire/Greg Hatem/etc. place. I keep looking for a menu, but haven't seen anything yet.

Also, Morning Times *still* isn't open yet, but they seem to store the sidewalk tables and chairs in that space.

I like the sign. Has an urban feel to it.

I do wish this place was a good Soul Food restaurant. Not sure they could make enough money to pay DT rents. I think it is time to have different type of restaurants.

I want a good "10 table top" Indian restaurant but with DT rents, that could be way off.

The sign is really neat at night. It looks best head on, but you can see the glow as you come up Wilmington.

I think The Kitchen is still going to be on the corner next to Riveria, and will be a soul food restaurant with large communal tables. Rent won't be an issue if it is Empire's building and restaurant...

They have yet to take the fencing down along Hargett east of Wilmington, so the snags might be in construction/rennovation. As for "different" restaurants downtown, there is now a "coming soon" sign for the Big Easy, on Fayetville Street in the old Hardees space. It seems like they've been working on that before Fayetville Street construction started?

Hey, IS there a good Indian place downtown or near Glensouth/5 points/Cameron? Royal India on capital rocks but I'd love something more DT.

I absolutely love Indian food, so I've been to a lot of em around here. I think the closest is India Mahal on Hillsborough St west of NC State. It's just OK. I like Royal India too, but the best place is India Palace II on Airport Blvd near RDU Arpt. Mmmmmmmm. They have a lunch buffett for $8, and I could eat there every day. The dinner menu is more pricey of course, but less so than Royal, and IMO is better for the money. I usually get the Thali plate. :)

So, I guess that means that there's plenty of room *hint* for an Indian place in DT! What about 222 Glenwood or Site 1, or RBC HQ retail, etc.? Even if they are too pricey, there are plenty of good spots for one to go.

Speaking of other ethnic restaurants, has anyone been to the Ethopian restaurant in Mission Valley on the lower level near Cup A Joe?

I went a year or so ago, but haven't found anyone to go back with. It was different, but not necessarily "good" different. There is plenty of space in DT to do different things, but I don't know how much rent prices will cooperate.

Speaking of other ethnic restaurants, has anyone been to the Ethopian restaurant in Mission Valley on the lower level near Cup A Joe?

I went a year or so ago, but haven't found anyone to go back with. It was different, but not necessarily "good" different. There is plenty of space in DT to do different things, but I don't know how much rent prices will cooperate.

Abysinnia (sp) and Royal India are my two favorite places as far as food goes in the whole triangle. I have long thought that city market should try harder to become the focus of international restaurants downtown....Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, Japanese, Italian, Greek...divide up the Greenshields space into two or three spaces, move the parking office out and make it restaurant space, etc.

Went by there last night, and every table was full. I had the escargot as an appetizer and the Sweet Potato manicotti with lobster for the main course. Both were good, and not unreasonably expensive. Definitely check this place out - service was great as well.

Went by there last night, and every table was full. I had the escargot as an appetizer and the Sweet Potato manicotti with lobster for the main course. Both were good, and not unreasonably expensive. Definitely check this place out - service was great as well.

First I want to thank everyone for all the great compliments about our restaurant. This is our first week being open and I am very happy with the results of our staff and especially our chef in the kitchen.

We're still working out a few kinks like most new restaurants, but all in all i'm very satisfied.

The complete project will consist of three levels; the first floor being the main dinning room. Then the basement will accomodate 35-40 people for dinning which will be great for private parties and corporate events. And finally, the upstairs will become the "late night" hang out, furnished with a full bar made out of Lava rocks and a lounge area with leather couches. There will also be a dance floor with a pretty sweet sound and light system, all on harwood floors (great for dance parties such as tango, salsa and any other ballroom dance) I'm sure we will have Dj's and such on the weekends with some NYC/european dance music but nothing has been set in stone yet.

Again thank you for your comments, my name is Romaric and please do not hesitate to come say hi if you are in the area !

Romaric Dautun

Riviera Resto

(919)834-7480

belated review: the salmon was excellent, though the dish was a bit salty overall. Great wine list. we'll have to go back for the small plate sampling. it will be very nice when the streets are under control down there.

Ate at Riviera today for lunch. Portions are relatively small, but the olive crusted chicken is tasty indeed. I like the sheik, modern atmosphere too. I still need to check out the up and downstairs too. The service wasn't good though--just fair (and it was not crowded). I hope things improve in that area. Overall, I would recommend giving it a try.

• 1 month later...

This place is sounding pretty interesting to me. I've seen that nice looking sign driving down Wilmington St. over the last few week and been wondering what it was there. Whether a bar or restaurant or what.

The whole plan of having a DJ night with NYC/European dance music sounds awesome. I can't really think of too many places in this area especially downtown that offer a scene like that.

And I fully agree with what others were saying about the Raleigh Times Bar. Me and some friends went there last Thursday night and we all thought it was an awesome place. We normally stick around Glenwood South at Lucky B's but thought we'd change it up for once and try something different. Raleigh Times was a great choice. Definitely seems like somewhere that'll have to take my girlfriend sometime soon.

Archived