Hawaiian Interstates

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blah, the freeways look like they're on the simple side, no complex interchanges or more than 3 highway signs at once...

Actually wait, I missed this pic: :eek:

15am2.jpg

So it looks pretty neat after all, especially with all those buildings close to downtown that have been cut off by the H-1. :D Too bad the other islands don't have them, but it beats Alaska at least. ;)

Still, nothing gives me the multiple orgasms that Quebec autoroutes do. :boogy:

sortie60.jpg

How can it be called an interstate if they only run through one state!

Maryland has I-97 which only runs in Maryland. Alaska and Hawaii both get interstate highway funds. Alaska has no need for sizeable expressways, so they have no routes that are signed as interstates, but Hawaii does. They are outside of the numbering conventions of the Interstates on the lower 48, hence the H- numbering.

I've never understood why the Quebec Autoroutes have bilingual signs. The province is officially mono-linguistic. I assume it has something to do with Federal Highway funding...? I find the bi-lingual signs cluttered and difficult to read, I'd rather they be just french.

I've never understood why the Quebec Autoroutes have bilingual signs. The province is officially mono-linguistic. I assume it has something to do with Federal Highway funding...? I find the bi-lingual signs cluttered and difficult to read, I'd rather they be just french.

Most of them aren't bilingual, it's just that in this case it's in Montreal and the DOT guessed that in case a visitor got off the airport and cruised in the city. Toronto has some bilingual signs too (or at least the directions).

I dont think i know any french words.

Yeah, the 4 I know I learned from my 3rd grade teacher, who attempted to teach our class French. She must've been somewhat sucessful, since I still remember a whole 4 words. LOL. I took Spanish in high school....much easier to learn then French, IMO.

You don't need to learn a lot of French to read the signs - just know the directions (Nord, Sud, Est, Ouest) which are pretty much similar to English anyway, and Arret = stop. Most everybody in Quebec (or at least in the metro areas) know basic English in case you need to ask someone for help.

In my case, people sometimes automatically figure out that I speak pretty much English only for some reason. :P

Archived