CMA MusicFest

it's just dave

I've been downtown a couple of times since the CMA MusicFest started and seeing the streets literally packed with people day and night is just cool as hell, especially when they walk. With every step they take, more money falls from their pockets and into ours. It makes me not notice so much what they're wearing. LOL.

And with this financial windfall, I wouldn't care if they all wore pink bikinis...well, maybe not bikinis...

Come to think of it, I don't think I dress for success while on vacation, either. :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Dave. I also love how they seem to be using more and more downtown parks and resources that have been developed through planning. The Riverfront park of course is always an attraction but they are also using the park out in front of the Hilton/Country Music Hall of Fame, the Titans' parking lots and stadium, the GEC, the Convention center. Kinda highlights how much capactiy has been built up downtown. Goodness, I feel the excitement as I am typing from feeling the success of building up these venues!!!! :D

Bring on the people. Nashville is very lucky to have such an event. I like it mostly because it brings a lot of everyday people into town which is the opposite mindset of all the newer developments announced lately. Just goes to show that everyone is welcomed downtown. Ok - maybe not everyone (Dave likes the fact that the homeless are missing from the pocket park on Church Street. I agree. - LOL)

I gotta tell you, I was down there Friday and I don't know if I would want to come back as a Visitor. Obviously since I live here I will probably go back down there, but here are my thoughts:

1- Why is broadway open to traffic? It's 100 degrees and I'm packed shoulder to shoulder with tattoo covered, sweaty rednecks (I'd make Gretchen proud!) trying to avoid getting run over as I cross streets

2- The weather. Everyone says the weather was one of the best parts, and I guess it's probably not usually this hot in early June, but it was still HOT!

3- Too long. I know Nashville would love for this event to last for 2 weeks, but I can't imagine this event being enjoyable for 4 days! Now, if we had an Opryland-type attraction, the 4 day passes could include one theme park day, and that'd be nice. But as it stands now, I couldn't imagine this being fun for 4 days.

After saying all this, let me clarify that I'm no big music person, nor am I a country fan. My wife likes country music and free tickets, so we used them. I guess if it was a 4 day football fest, I'd probably have a great time!

I agree...they should close off Broad for something as big as this. One thing I disagree with you about is the length of the festival. 4 days is right on the money. Each night, the fans get to go to LP Field for a long concert featuring just about every country star there is. That's 4 HUGE concerts in a row. Plus...some of your newer artists play all day, all 4 days, on stages surrounding the Lower Broad area. There's autograph sessions...visits to the Country Music Hall of Fame...and lots of other attractions. Plus...not all, not even most, of your country fans are rednecks. That's an old "Hee Haw" belief that doesn't exist. Not saying that none of them are rednecks, but a great deal are kids, teenagers, moms and dads, blue collar and white collar workers.

There's no other event in the world where almost every star of a music genre performs free for the fans in one place. We should be extremely proud of this, whether you like country music or not. And...if you don't like the music, give it another try tomorrow. Like every other genre of music, it changes from year to year. There's as much "pop" and "rock" sounding songs in country music as there is "redneck" and "twang".

See, that's my problem is that I agree with you both (titan and dave) that this has and appears to be primed for success in the future, and 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I'm just saying for me personally, not my cup of tea (or bottle of beer in this instance!). And just because it works now doesn't mean we can't improve it for the future. I think we can all agree that a few new downtown hotels, a convention center, and an Opryland would be just great!

You are right that not every person who visits is a big redneck, as there were a lot of teens and young families. But there were still an awful lot of rednecks! But really I'm probably as big a redneck as any of them. Part of the reason I don't like country music is because I like the old stuff, some good ole blugrass music without all the bass and drums. Give me 'Rocky Top' anyday!

Rocky Top, I definitely agree that the event can be improved in the future. Just think of how wonderfully utilized a new Sounds stadium could be as another smaller venue or a more comprehensive Riverwalk with small gatherings around fledgling artists (or maybe make it the classics walk). The more downtown develops these opportunities, the more diverse venues can be provided for festivals such as this and more people (maybe even yourself) can find a setting that you like. You would think that the CMA would be lobbying for all these projects with the results they are producing, lol!! I just think it's great to see these results in the locations that have already been improved. :)

I'm really hoping this new all-genre music festival gets rolling and becomes as huge as projected. I love country, and just about everything else, but I can't really see myself in the CMAFest crowd for long either, BUT, an all-encompassing music festival utilizing the downtown we're now building would find me right in the mix. Of course, now, we've got the Black Baptist convention with 10,000 in town. So hey, let's just have things for everybody and keep downtown hopping all the time.

I think we're definately headed in that direction. Hope so.

Archived