New Vanderbilt Medical Center tower

it's just dave

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited about the expansion of the Vanderbilt Medical facilities, but.....$234 Million for only 141 Beds!!! That's close to $2,000,000 per bed. It's not hard to see why the cost of healthcare is escalating through the roof. Vanderbilt, and no other healthcare provider for that matter, sees any real need to control costs. It's enough to make me sick! :sick:

The time couldn't be better than now to study this. This wasn't the only hospital in the news this morning. Murfreesboro's Middle Tennesee Medical Center just received approval for its $278 million dollar replacement facility in the Gateway. The new hospital in Spring Hill is still a question mark.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS01/606100313

With these two projects alone representing over a half-billion dollars, it begins to boggle my mind.

I'm excited about the expansion of the Vanderbilt Medical facilities, but.....$234 Million for only 141 Beds!!! That's close to $2,000,000 per bed. It's not hard to see why the cost of healthcare is escalating through the roof. Vanderbilt, and no other healthcare provider for that matter, sees any real need to control costs. It's enough to make me sick! :sick:

See response to this post at VUMC cost discussion

Thanks to whoever broke out the cost discussion into a separate thread! :thumbsup:

How tall is the current structure that they will be adding on to? 11 stories plus an existing tower could equate to a tall building. Also, how tall are floors in a hospital normally?

Post 997, getting close.

The current "twin towers" of the main medical center at Vanderbilt are 11 stories and 214 feet tall (including the helipad on the roof).

I'm guessing from what the article said that this will be constructed on top of of the current TVC, which is about 4-5 stories...so the overall building could possibly be 15-16 stories, 260 feet tall or so...(unless they are counting 11 from the ground level, and not 11 on top of the current building). Who knows? I'll ask my Aunt, I bet she could find a way to find out what the plans are.

Vanderbilt's current "towers" (according to Emporis)

Vanderbilt Hospital - 11 floors, 214 feet

Rudolph A. Light Hall - 12 floors, 198 feet

Langford Auditorium - 12 floors, 198 feet

Medical Research Bldg - 11 floors, 194 feet

Childrens Hospital - 11 floors, 190 feet

Bill Wilkerson Ctr - 11 floors, 174 feet

Childrens Hospital - 8 floors, 160 feet

Medical Center North - 8 floors, 154 feet

Oxford House - 11 floors, 128 feet

The current "twin towers" of the main medical center at Vanderbilt are 11 stories and 214 feet tall (including the helipad on the roof).

I'm guessing from what the article said that this will be constructed on top of of the current TVC, which is about 4-5 stories...so the overall building could possibly be 15-16 stories, 260 feet tall or so...(unless they are counting 11 from the ground level, and not 11 on top of the current building). Who knows? I'll ask my Aunt, I bet she could find a way to find out what the plans are.

Vanderbilt's current "towers" (according to Emporis)

Vanderbilt Hospital - 11 floors, 214 feet

Rudolph A. Light Hall - 12 floors, 198 feet

Langford Auditorium - 12 floors, 198 feet

Medical Research Bldg - 11 floors, 194 feet

Childrens Hospital - 11 floors, 190 feet

Bill Wilkerson Ctr - 11 floors, 174 feet

Childrens Hospital - 8 floors, 160 feet

Medical Center North - 8 floors, 154 feet

Oxford House - 11 floors, 128 feet

Those are all part of the med center. Ingram Cancer Center and some new lab building u/c right?

On the rest of the campus, you have Carmichael (4 towers at 15 stories), Lewis, Olin, Morgan, and the Stephenson complex (all between 11 and 14 stories). Did I miss any? I think the one tallest building of Branscomb Quad is only 8 stories. I'm not sure, I lived at Kissam Quad my freshman year.

It is amazing that hospital buildings are so tall considering the number of floors they have.

Does anyone know the specs for feet per floor for hospitals or does it vary?

Either way this is going to be a major addition to the skyline in midtown/west-end. From what I understand it still has to gain approval. Am I correct about that?

It is amazing that hospital buildings are so tall considering the number of floors they have.

Does anyone know the specs for feet per floor for hospitals or does it vary?

Either way this is going to be a major addition to the skyline in midtown/west-end. From what I understand it still has to gain approval. Am I correct about that?

I'm not sure, but I would suspect that a hospital would probably average at least what an office floor has, considering the number of electrical cords, plumbing, etc that they must accomidate. I've never seen a short major hospital...I would guess they would average 15-16 feet per floor. Think about the new addition on Williamson Medical Center...very big. Skyline? Summit? Maury Regional? Those places are tall compared to the number of floors they have.

Yep, I'd love to see some pictures from there! I'm guessing there would be a decent view of the new I-65/Briley interchange at the least

Oh, no, I don't think I could see that far to the northwest (the hills in the foreground block some of the more distant views, but you can see the downtown in the distance). Besides, I wasn't exactly paying a social call to the doctor, and bringing a camera to the urologist might've been a bit kinky at best. In any event, my camera has a problem taking pics through double-paned glass, so it likely wouldn't have turned out well. However, if anyone else wishes to go there with their camera, you get the same view from the western hallway in the north tower. You can get an interesting panorama shot from there. Sounds like a job for Lexy ! :lol:

you can view this site, http://www.urbanbna.com (this is not another forum site, just a blog, so i shouldnt be breaking any rules) top entry, as of now, there is a small picture, you can also find the original picture here at the Vanderbilt site : http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporter/index.html?ID=4212

From the way the rendering looks, the medical arts building where the barber shop is will be ruble before long. I think that is where the green plaza area is. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

From the way the rendering looks, the medical arts building where the barber shop is will be ruble before long. I think that is where the green plaza area is. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, that's where Oxford House is. My aunt told me that they were eventually looking to get rid of it. She works in MCE II.

However, from the picture it looks like that's going to be a hospital adminitstration tower, not a part of the hospital...maybe they'll be adding the beds somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

this is sort of off topic but I was thinking that nashville seems to have a fairly large amount of hospitals to choose from within a short distance...I don't know how this compares to other cities of similar size so I would like someone else's opinion.

I just know raleigh seems to have one major hospital with Rex and although being somewhat smaller, it still seemed surprising for a city of this size

• 3 months later...

Archived