Most sought out suburban counties?

Scraper Enthusiast

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any county on the southside I would think. Places like Coweta, south Fulton, and Henry. I prefer Coweta the best. Peachtree City is great.

The question is most 'sought after'. The answer is primarily Forsyth, northern Fulton, northern Dekalb or eastern Cobb. Land values that equal or are greater than most areas in intown Atlanta - where the suburbs economically rival Atlanta itself regarding employment, retail & home values.

The question is most 'sought after'. The answer is primarily Forsyth, northern Fulton, northern Dekalb or eastern Cobb. Land values that equal or are greater than most areas in intown Atlanta - where the suburbs economically rival Atlanta itself regarding employment, retail & home values.

You hit the nail on the head Brad. From a realtor's point of view you are absolutely right. Remember the old adage...location, location, location.

Volume of sales does not equate to "most sought after." Most sought after is determined by time on the market, asking price vs sale price, amenities, schools and proximity to employment centers and retail. The locations that Brad mentioned are Atlanta's most sought after locations. Peachtree City should however be added to the list. Usually an area becomes sought after when it's cache' remains high but inventory remains low. This lack of inventory can occur due to a built out environment...i.e., east Cobb, northern DeKalb and northeastern Fulton.

Southern Forsyth and north Fulton are also aided by their proximity to the countless amounts of office parks and the NorthPoint retail area. I would also wager that north Fulton has some of the best schools overall in the entire state. East Cobb has historically had excellent schools and very low crime. Northern DeKalb of course is located between the Perimeter Center area and Buckhead. It's schools have also be ranked consistently high as well. Peachtree City, while located only near Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, is a planned community. It's schools are excellent and consistently rank among the best in the state. It has a relatively low crime rate, has great diversity of both housing stock as well as people....although socio-economically that can be debated.

Brad raised another point in that home values also play a great roll. Usually areas where homes can no longer be built by the thousands tend to have higher value increases. This would, in my opinion, exclude Gwinnett and southern Fulton in the "most sought after" location. Both locations are nice but there is just so much inventory and available land in which to build. While schools may be good in Gwinnett, it can be hit or miss. If one studies all the criteria for schools....as a mother I do because it's important to know that if my children attended public schools, they could get a decent education...as I was saying, if one studies schools, all the locations listed by Brad and Peachtree City are historically statistical powerhouses.

It takes alot to be sought after.....if you have ever tried to find a couple a home in a sought after area, you will know exactly what it takes. I have had clients willing to go from a $600,000, 6000 square foot home on 1.3 acres in an okay area to an $750,000, 3200 square foot home on a half acre in a sought after area. If the schools and amenties are worth it, they will take the smaller, more expensive home to be in the "right" area. Usually homes in these locations have bids as soon as you put the sigh out.

to me sought after is a place where many people are moving. Areas seeing slow growth are not sought after (which in metro Atlanta is very few) Many places that are sought after are built out and increase the demans but I don't think that's the only category.

to me sought after is a place where many people are moving. Areas seeing slow growth are not sought after (which in metro Atlanta is very few) Many places that are sought after are built out and increase the demans but I don't think that's the only category.

Maybe I am looking at it from a realtor's point of view. When we do advertisement and we use the term "sought after," we use it for a specific reason. Sought after means that the person goes out of their way to seek a certain lifestyle or location. Just because alot of people are moving to a location will not make it sought after. You are thinking in terms of growth....and that does not constitute sought after in it's truest sense. Using an in town market for example, VA/Highlands is a sought after location....while the numbers of new residents aren't shooting through the roof, if I was to get a listing there, I can pretty much guess that the house will probably not be on the market more than 45 days....and they will more than likely get within 90-98% of their asking price. In some cases, they are getting above asking price because of a bidding war.

Many of these locations you are thinking about because of their high growth rates are not having bidding wars. At least I have not experienced any or heard of any.

Perhaps we should have established early on what sought after meant. In real estate it has a meaning. If we are talking about where are alot of people moving now then sought after would not probably not be the best term. We all know that many times these far out places are experiencing high growth because their prices are low. People are willing to drive an hour to work to be able to afford the home they want. That is not sought after though.....that sale is based clearly on a financial basis. maybe I was thinking in real estate terms and not growth terms.

BTW, the story of the house sale where a client went from a $600,000 to a smaller $750,000 home in a sought after area was just an example. I have heard of it happening even as low as $200,000. If people want to be in a "sought after" area, they will make all kinds of concessions.

What suburban counties are now the most sought-after, in terms of the purchase of new homes and development? Is it Forsyth or Cherokee? What about Paulding? Newton? Henry or Coweta? Any others? What's your opinion?

I would have to say Cherokee. I am from there. It is great county, which is booming. It is set in beautiful wooded settings. A great example would be Towne Lake.

What suburban counties are now the most sought-after, in terms of the purchase of new homes and development? Is it Forsyth or Cherokee? What about Paulding? Newton? Henry or Coweta? Any others? What's your opinion?

I would have to say Cherokee. I am from there. It is great county, which is booming. It is set in beautiful wooded settings. A great example would be Towne Lake.

Archived