St. Lucie County

The Tot Pack

I moved from PSL-Ft.Pierce back when I was young, but I go back every summer to see how the area has changed and how my family is and what not. But I don't know if I will be able to go this summer, so I wanna know whats going on in my home towns?! I heard that PSL [Port Saint Lucie] was the fastest growing city in America right before the Hurricanes hit last year. Is that still true today? I miss PSL so much, the people, the beaches, everything. I miss Ft. Pierce and Hutchinson Island. I loved Ft. Pierce's downtown area, and I remember my mom telling me about Avenue D [where all the prostitutes were]. I wanna know whats going on with Port Saint Lucie's plan for a "Downtown", last year I heard they were throwing some ideas around, since the city never planned on growing..and therefore never built a city hall. If anyone could clue me in I would love to know.

Plus I'd like to know about Vero and Stuart as well. Go Mets!

• 1 month later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember reading correctly.. PSL fell a couple notches on the fast growing list. There is an eight month supply of houses on the market and very few are moving. Most owners who are looking to sell are also putting their homes on the rental market. They overestimated the demand for homes in PSL. Also, 50 grow houses have been shut down, and drug dealers from Miami and Latin America have moved in. This has caused a lot of bad press for PSL in the newspapers. They are still working on the Tradition development and in the long term there are plans for a regional mall and more shopping so PSL people don't have to go to Palm Beach Gardens. A few plans for businesses to move to PSL fell through, including a Connecticut company who cited a poor school systems as the number one reason for not coming down here.

• 1 month later...

If I remember reading correctly.. PSL fell a couple notches on the fast growing list. There is an eight month supply of houses on the market and very few are moving. Most owners who are looking to sell are also putting their homes on the rental market. They overestimated the demand for homes in PSL. Also, 50 grow houses have been shut down, and drug dealers from Miami and Latin America have moved in. This has caused a lot of bad press for PSL in the newspapers. They are still working on the Tradition development and in the long term there are plans for a regional mall and more shopping so PSL people don't have to go to Palm Beach Gardens. A few plans for businesses to move to PSL fell through, including a Connecticut company who cited a poor school systems as the number one reason for not coming down here.

Burnham also said no. But didn't another similar company show recent interest in PCL?

BTW, Tradition looks really nice from I-95.

Yeah, PSL landed the headquarters relocation (not branches like Scripps and Burnham) for Torrey Pines research institute. Smaller than the other two, but kudos nonetheless.

Are you sure that they are moving the HQ to PSL? It was my understanding that TP was just expanding into PSL much the same way Burnham and Scripps are doing elsewhere in FL. I believe that the HQ will remain in SD. Here's a link from the City of PSL:

Torrey Pines to PSL

"The City of Port St. Lucie was selected Tuesday by Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies as the location to expand their laboratory research operations."

Archived