Gentrification of older Augusta neighborhoods

socaguy

What are your thoughts? I guess the first gentrified area of Augusta was Old Towne, immediately to the Southeast of DT Augusta. Harrisburg and some of the neighborhoods surrounding the Hill are slowly gentrifying too. What are some other areas that have alot of potential in the city? Olmstead heights? Laney Walker? Personally I thinnk Belvedere SC (just north of North Augusta) has lots of potential. Growth has steered away from the area when they moved the Walmart down the road but it seems like it could creep back up into Belvedere...especially when Palmetto Pky is completed. Another area I really think that has potenital is the Peach Orchard Road corridor. Its not that bad around Bobby Jones, where the Lowes and Applebees and the other "chain stores" are, but there is lots of oppurtunity in the areas closer to town. It almost feels like an urban street in some areas...which could be revitalized.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harrisburg is such an interesting part of town. I keep waiting for something to happen in that area. The area around Richmond Hill Road, especially after you cross over Windsor Spring headed to where it dead-ends, seems like a great area with a lot of nice homes. Also, I've always wondered about the area between Walton Way and Laney Walker. The area around Lake Olmstead is one of my favorite areas in Augusta. Peach Orchard, inside Bobby Jones, does look very urban---especially when it used to be six lanes with that skinny suicide lane. Made you feel like you were on the outskirts of a large city.

Yes Peach Orchard has some pretty decent street-level retail that could be spruced up. It is here and there and interspersed with standard, more modern suburban type buildings with parking in the front...but it is there. The area between LWB and Walton Way has a lot of older shotgun houses in very poor condition BUT I agree...it has potential and although downtrodden, the neighborhood has charm.

Archived