Coffee House Subforum?

I noticed that the Tiffany Souers case was moved to a Coffee House subforum in the "Urban Journal" section of UrbanPlanet. I have also noticed that some other forums, like Charlotte, have their own Coffee House subforums. Do you guys think we should have one for our Greenville forum? It seems that we have enough posters here to warrant one, although I don't know how everyone feels about discussing potentially controversial news with one another. Moderators, what do you think?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I personally don't understand the rationale behind moving those two topics out of the Greenville forum. They are totally related to Greenville and would be of little use to anyone from anywhere else. I have not read any stipulation stating that you can ONLY discuss urban developments in this forum. If that is the case, let me see it, and let's get it posted in every subforum. ;)

"Bubble-Tearoom" sounds cool! :shades:

I'm not sure how that idea will go over with the other mods, but I am ALL for it because I think it is necessary for such important local discussions. We have several other non-development-related threads in this forum that would not survive in the global Coffee House forum as well. If we don't allow such a sub forum locally, we'll be in danger of losing key discussions to other local online forums gaining steam. :(

I think a formal off-topic subforum makes a lot of sense for our forum. Besides, I just really like you guys and want to get to know everyone better!

I like the creative name ideas, something more original than just calling it "Greenville Coffee House." "Greenville Bubble Tea Room" is very interesting and very catchy! Other suggestions (disclaimer - it's late):

Lounge

Wine Bar

Gathering Spot :lol: (what's the over/under on how many days it would take to be known as the g-spot?)

Break Room (probably sounds too blue collar)

Neighborhood Cafe (does this sound too much like Applebee's?)

None of these are as catchy and creative as "Greenville Bubble Tea Room," though!

I think it is a good idea. I don't read most of the off topic material myself, but a community of such has been created here and I have noticed that some people would rather discuss off topic material whether local or not among the community of the Greenville Forum, and that I think is positive.

I also feel it should be done though a sub forum and not a single thread that way topics can be seperate rather tahn run together.

Both Charlotte, NC and Grand Rapids, MI have their own Coffee House subforums. Doesn't the amount of traffic on this Greenville forum compare to what those two have? I seem to remember us being #2 for the entire UrbanPlanet.org site in terms of post volume. If that doesn't warrant a Coffee House-type subforum, what does?

Hey moderators, why are you against a Greenville coffee house subforum?

Nobody is against a coffee house subforum. If there is support for it here then I don't have any problem in putting one in. It's mainly up to Spartan to determine if we need one or not.

On the earlier moving of the two threads involved with murder, I agreed with that move. I am going to go further now that I know about them and delete them. Due to respect for those involved we would rather not have topics such as that discussed here. We made the decision some time ago that discussions involving an average citizen in the community are not appropriate for the site.

Hey moderators, why are you against a Greenville coffee house subforum?

We're not against it. The mods who focus on this section though need to decide if they're willing to take on the extra moderation duties that the kinds of discussions that come up in a coffee house will require.

I agree with btoy's comments about a "community" has been created here. Community is one of Greenville's strengths, and with this being "Urban Planet", a true urban city is more than just conrcete, steel and glass. It's a community. I cast my vote 100% for a "coffee house" subforum. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Greenville, GREAT idea on the name!!!! The Bubble Tea Room. :D

I agree with btoy's comments about a "community" has been created here. Community is one of Greenville's strengths, and with this being "Urban Planet", a true urban city is more than just conrcete, steel and glass. It's a community. I cast my vote 100% for a "coffee house" subforum. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Greenville, GREAT idea on the name!!!! The Bubble Tea Room. :D

I wish I could take credit for the great suggestion, but "The Bubble Tea Room" is actually courtesy of RestedTraveler. :thumbsup:

I wish I could take credit for the great suggestion, but "The Bubble Tea Room" is actually courtesy of RestedTraveler. :thumbsup:

Ooops....there I go again.....still haven't been to the optometrist!!! :)

Excellent idea RT!!! "The Bubble Tea Room". This is the perfect name! :D

Fiddlestix raised a question about an Arts Thread in another Thread, and that made me think...while we're discussing the idea of having an Off Topic Sub Forum, we may want to entertain organizing the Greenville forum into subforums for the following discussions, as well:

• Sports

• Transportation

• Visual and Performing Arts

• Education

• Healthcare

• Government

• Urban Development and Renewal

• Construction Projects

• The Tea Room (Off Topic)

Then, the threads related to each subforum can be organized under their respective subforum. Is it too late to do something like this? I know it would likely take a lot of work to move all of the various threads into their subforums. Also, if we don't do this now, we'll probably be wishing we did in a few months or years.

^ Great idea RT. :thumbsup:

Maybe add Retail and Housing/Condos as subs also.

Excellent! "Retail and Restaurants" and "Home and Condo Development" should definitely be included, too.

From what I can discern, having sub-forums such as this is rather unprecedented on U.P.; however, I can't help but believe we'll be glad we took the time to organize ourselves in such a manner when all is said and done. Just look at the growth in the past year. I can't hardly keep up with it all these days.

I find subforums rather frustrating actually.

And while I am on the subject of what I find frustrating, its large numbers of pictures in a thread. When I am trying to read the last post in a thread, and the pictures keep loading and moving the page on me, it can be very aggravating. So I have to wait for 20 or 30 pictures to load, before I can read the posts. ARG. end of rant.

Archived